Replacement Key Fob? 2014 Tourning AWD

unclefester

:
2014 CX-9 Touring
My key got destroyed (long story) and the dealer wants $400 for the new key fob and for labor to reprogram it.

Can anyone recommend any low cost alternatives for what will be my backup key?

Try Keylessride.com or remotes unlimited or even ebay. use the fcc id # on your remaining remote that will ensure that you get the correct one. Some places will even let you know if you can self program or not. If you can they will give you the instructions for free. On the other hand since you only have one remote now you probably have to take it to the locksmith or dealer.

My key got destroyed (long story) and the dealer wants $400 for the new key fob and for labor to reprogram it.

Can anyone recommend any low cost alternatives for what will be my backup key?

When you mean destroyed, do you mean just the buttons and exterior was damaged but internal IC computer chip is still ok?
i.e. can you still start your car with it ? the damaged key just needs to be near the steering wheel (none of the buttons need to be functional).

If so, then you're in luck!!! You can get a $75 key off ebay and program it yourself, there's a programming procedure in our how to section.
As long as you have two working keys (doesn't matter if key is crushed or buttons smashed, as long as car can recognize key code and start), you can always program another key yourself, that's the reason why most members get an extra key while both keys are working and in hand.

If not, and the key is really obliterated, then please disregard and sorry I didn't fully understand your situation and unfortunately you're at the mercy of the dealer or try kornholio's suggestions.

Last edited:
^ What if you only have 1 working key?

The wife lost the key a few days ago while shopping, and we only got 1 key from the dealer when we purchased the vehicle. And after her losing the key, and having to spend over an hour finding it, id REALLY like to get a replacement. But NOT at a $400 cost. Ive bought cars cheaper then that in the past.

I too only have 1 key with my 2013 as dealer didn't provide the extra. Can I get a $75 key off ebay as mentioned above and reprogram myself? thanks.

sorry guys, you must have two working advanced keys inside the CX-9 at the same time for the computer to go into programming mode for the third key from eBay.

I believe this is not just specific to Mazda but ALL the other car manufacturers require this, so can't blame Mazda.

I'm very surprised you were given only one advanced key if you brought the vehicle new, I always thought you were entitled to TWO keys as standard. Maybe check your bill of sale and go thru the list of every item, I know mine listed two advanced keys.

It's a safety feature, so no one (i.e. restaurant parking valets) can program an extra key while you're eating,
then follow you or check your GPS "home address" and just steal your car later very easily by having a key.

Thus, they MUST have two working keys to program a third key. And most people don't carry or give valet two keys.

****(SIDE NOTE: this is why I never set my true HOME ADDRESS on my GPS and give valets my house keys , I just give them the CX-9 advanced key only, I recommend all fellow members do the same: set HOME to some nearby business not your true address ) ****

See instructions, it indicates TWO programmed keys required to program third key.

Last edited:
Went in today and talked to my parts guy. Even with the discount i get, im still looking at almost $300.

He did say i could order one on my own, and have them program it. But there is no guarantee that it will work as they didnt supply the unit. And if it doesnt, i still have to pay an hours shop time. Which is still the route ill probably take. Going this way means as long as it programs ok, ill be spending half the price.

The 2 switch blade remotes that i got off of ebay where both original mazda brand new. I programmed one and i have a spare one that i purchase about a year after in case one of the originals broke. 1 was from usa and the other from taiwan. Both are oem mazda remotes so i don't see a problem having it programmed as long as it is not generic.

Back