replaced wheel bearing....that wasnt the problem

ucyib2papi

:
protege5, cx-7
changed the wheel bearing and the noise is still there. rotated the tires and still the same noise (maybe louder?). i get a loud jet engine noise with the humming and slight vibration, varying depending on the speed, and the noise is loudest at my cruising speed of 70mph. But if i go to 72 gets quieter and less vibration. when turning i get choppy sounds and it does vary on if im going left or right.

any thoughts on what the problem could be? pretty much the guess is i need new tires or something very expensive.

Hey had a similar problem and it turned out to be my trans that was shot I changed it put a used one in and boom problem fix.....

I could be a bearing in another wheel or perhaps your tires are getting loud as they near the end of their life? I know that as treads wear, they can begin to make different sounds. Just a thought.

I would recommend jacking up the car and spinning the wheels to rule out another bearing. If you have one going, you'll most likely hear it.

its def not another wheel bearing. the tires dont seem to have any unusual wear but off the car the one didnt balance well...however, the tires were rotated and sound was pretty much the same. i feel it wouldnt be the trans, if the sound changes based on if im turning, no?

yeah i had changed the wheel bearings too i did the same as u i rotated the tires and nothing i even did axles cuz i needed them anyway but at the end it was the trans something internally got messep up

ur right my sound stayed the same even when i turned if it changes when u turn has to be in ur wheel bearings,,,,, double check them

yeah i had changed the wheel bearings too i did the same as u i rotated the tires and nothing i even did axles cuz i needed them anyway but at the end it was the trans something internally got messep up

ok this sounds exactly like what i am experiencing with my protege right now. im in the process of replacing the axles and wheel bearingss just because im a 170,xxx, and i initially thought that they were the problem. but if it doesnt fix it ill have to check the transmission :/

Could it be the carrier bearing on the right front?

That was mine. Felt just like one of the wheel bearings. Changed both fronts and no change. After running out of things to change i got a new carrier bearing.

Also sometimes wheel bearings will be loud when the cars on the ground but make little noise in the air. Grab the coil spring on your strut and spin each wheel. The spring will act like a tuning fork and should vibrate if the bearings bad. Theres also the top and bottom grab and wiggle looking for play.. Thats a sign also.

turned out being the other wheel bearing, however, a different sound i had at first is back, or i can just here it again cuz its much quieter to drive the car. argh. stupid cars. at least this sound is minor and random and easily drowned out

yea guys just figured id let you know what happened with my situation. i replaced both axles and both front bearings, and BAM, sound gone. rides smooth and quite now

Latest posts

Back