Replace head unit and keep cassette player?

280z

:
2002 Proteg5
I have a stock 2002 P5 with the stock head unit and cassette deck. I'd like to replace the HU but keep the cassette deck. Is this possible?

I'd appreciate some info about parts to buy and whatnot.

I also intend to replace the front speakers. Will I need terminal adaptors?

Not if you are planning on upgrading with an aftermarket head unit, besides, with all the options out now and different formats to reproduce sound (cd, sat radio, usb, ipod, etc..) do you really need to keep the tape deck? And no you don't need to keep the plug for the speakers, you can cut them off. If you want to go back to stock someday, cut far enough away from the plug to allow reattachment at a later date. Drivers side wires are black/red +, black/white-
passenger side red +, white -. Hope this helps.

There are after market head units with cassets, aux inputs (for plugging any mp3 player in, including ipod), usb ports, cd players, etc. Crutchfield has a wiring harness for aftermarket head units and harness adapters for the speakers.
With these you won't have to splice wires and connect terminals etc. (which is good if your not very good with electrical things)

If your interested, I have some stuff I could sell you pretty cheap.
I originally planned on just getting a headunit to play my ipod on and upgrading the speakers. But since then, I've gained and interest in audio and wiring etc.
Long story short, I now have 2 12'' subs, a 1200w amp, a 300w amp, and JL 6x9 evolutions.

Originally I had wiring harnesses for an easy plug and play install (for speakers and head unit) as well as a dash kit. I ordered from crutchfield so I have everything they offer. I wasn't planning on getting an amp, so I got speakers that run well on headunit-power. Infinity 6288cf I think I'll have to check the model number. But they're 2 ohm so they require less power for more output. Crutchfield recommended the setup.
PM me if your interested.

And as for keeping your cassette, it is possible to splice the original wires and put your stock headunit someplace and your aftermarket headunit someplace else. You could take the stock headunit appart and just keep the components vital to the cassette player. This would make it easier to mount or stash somewhere.

Where do you live?

everything in the stock HU is highly integrated because of its modular design

if listening to ipod was a goal, the easiest/cheapest way to do this is to just get an ipod integration kit that works on the early mazda3s and plug it right in... nobody says it supposed to work but it really does

I'm using mazda's ipod kit in my car and it works great... still have to deal with the bad controls and lack of display of course, but I don't care

so like I said, if you want to keep your stupid tape player, just stick to the stock HU and get an ipod kit if your goal was listening to ipod (or mp3s)... it is the cheapest way to deal with this.... aftermarket HUs with tape has a limited selection and you might not find the quality you want either

if listening to ipod was a goal, the easiest/cheapest way to do this is to just get an ipod integration kit that works on the early mazda3s and plug it right in...

I already have the hardware to listen to my iPod.

It's called a "stupid tape player."

my model didnt come with a cassette player so if i want to listen to my mp3 player i'll have to replace the head unit.

really, i'm sure its possible. just talk to someone in the place that ur gonna buy it from and they might be able to let u know.

no joke though, if i had a cassette player i would be doing the same thing u are right now cuz i like my cassette player.(thumb)

what's the point in upgrading the headunit if you're gonna use the cassette deck as the audio source?

what's the point in upgrading the headunit if you're gonna use the cassette deck as the audio source?

its more of a personal thing for me lol i just like having it there just incase. u never know if the AUX port spontaneously stops working after warranty is gone. i dont know i just know that i would have it just incase.

then just keep the stock unit and replace the whole thing if something happens.... why would you need cassette? they barely sell cds anymore, haha

its more of a personal thing for me lol i just like having it there just incase. u never know if the AUX port spontaneously stops working after warranty is gone. i dont know i just know that i would have it just incase.

i'd be more worried about the cassette adapter than an Aux. port

I've yet to hear of one failling

And I win. I had a 74 Caprice in early 2000 and it had an 8 track player. I had an 8 track adapter which accepted cassettes that i put the cassette adapter for my CD player

Yeah, CD's through an 8 track player. that's right

then you either have a hearing problem or just ignorant

How do you deal with jitter error inherent to the iPod's USB protocol? How do you get a 24bit-192khz signal out of your iPod? Which digital-to-analog converter do you prefer? Do you use upsampling, oversampling, or non-oversampling chips? How do you prevent signal loss and RF interference caused by the interconnects? Do you use OFC copper or silver wiring? Do you get better sound with DC or AC power source? And where do you get your capacitors, connectors, and AC terminals cryo'ed?

all that fancy talk and you want a cassette adapter

no reason to be an a$$ bud......

And, i've got 4 ipods and an iphone and have yet to have a problem with any of em.

Shoot, one, (1st gne mini) sits and bakes in the sun in the car all day every day and still is bullet proof

Back