Replace halogen headlamp assembly with "tech package" assembly

CrispyCX5

:
2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring (Meteor Gray)
Just bought 2016 CX-5 with tech package and notice a huge difference between the standard halogen lights on our non-tech package 2014 Touring model. Is it possible to purchase the HID headlamp assembly (whole headlamp) from the 2014/2015 "tech package" (off eBay) and install on our touring model without any problems? I figure doing the new LED lights would be too expensive. So the next best thing is the previous year HID assembly since they're pretty inexpensive in comparison.

Also, would the adaptive lighting controls work? I'm assuming it would not.

Last edited:
Just bought 2016 CX-5 with tech package and notice a huge difference between the standard halogen lights on our non-tech package 2014 Touring model. Is it possible to purchase the HID headlamp assembly (whole headlamp) from the 2014/2015 "tech package" (off eBay) and install on our touring model without any problems? I figure doing the new LED lights would be too expensive. So the next best thing is the previous year HID assembly since they're pretty inexpensive in comparison.

Also, would the adaptive lighting controls work? I'm assuming it would not.

There's a lot involved beyond just swapping the assembly. The plugs that connect the headlights to the electrical system are different wattage I believe. Your best bet is going with an aftermarket HID kit and installing it in your current assembly. If you search around there's been a few members who have done this.

Back