Rented a 2021 CX-9 GT

We own a 2017 GT CX-9, and love it. But the new 2021 (Black paint, Black interior) we rented in Denver was very nice. Loved the cooled front seats. It was in the 90's in Denver all week, and the black seats can get very hot when the car sits in the sun. But, when we fired up the cooling feature of the seats they cooled off very quickly and I didn't sweat on my back and butt. I also liked the front camera (for parking) and the 360 deg camera. This car also had the 2nd row captain seats. Our daughters (22 and 19) liked them more than our bench style seats. The folding side mirrors are cool, but every motor or electric thing is another item that may burn out or quit some day.

I liked the larger infotainment screen, but I did not like the software part of the screen. The screen isn't a touch screen, and entering in an address was slow and cumbersome with the wheel. I tried speaking the address but the car kept putting in the wrong address (where our 2017 recognizes my voice well and gets the address most of the time). Ended up using the Apple carplay with Apple maps.

The mileage was fairly good too. Drove almost 1100 miles and got 24.8 mpg with a mix of 60% hwy and 40% city. Not sure how the altitude affects the mileage (Mile High City). I did notice Denver offers 85, 87 and 91 octane. Not sure why the lower octane, but I bought the cheaper 85 stuff (hey it's a rental).

The car seemed to have a bit of a more quiet ride than ours. Could be our tires are almost 4 years old. Forgot to look at what tire they were running.

All in all, I like the upgrades Mazda is doing and would upgrade to a new one if I didn't need to replace my 16 year pickup truck.

I agree with you. The cooling seats are a feature I have really come to love. I am in SC and the summer is always hot and the cooled seats really, really help. I almost always use CarPlay and love the speed at which the system activates. On my old 2018, it took almost a minute or two. On the 2021, it is instant. My gas mileage is about the same as my 2018 (~24 MPG).

Back