Removing Roof Rails

jparker0201

:
2016 CX-5 Touring
Hey guys! Long time lurker, first time poster here. I am looking at having my wheels and roof rails painted on my '16 Touring but am having no luck removing the plastic caps at the front and rear of the roof rails.

I have searched all over this forum and Google to no avail with no tips or any guides with instructions. I have looked at both the roof rail and cross bar installation PDFs and can see there is a clip in the middle but there is really no way to disengage this clip. I do notice on the back caps there is a spot I may be able to use a flat head screw driver to pry it off but I do not want to break them.

Has anyone successfully removed these caps without damage and if so I would love some tips. Thanks!

Last edited:
I did last summer because I switched them from my 2013 to the new 2016. I just used a flat screwdriver at the base (on the tip of the cover) near the roof. If I remember correctly there is a groove there.

P1020042 by ZuluCx, on Flickr

P1020043 by ZuluCx, on Flickr

Hey guys! Long time lurker, first time poster here. I am looking at having my wheels and roof rails painted on my '16 Touring but am having no luck removing the plastic caps at the front and rear of the roof rails.

I have searched all over this forum and Google to no avail with no tips or any guides with instructions. I have looked at both the roof rail and cross bar installation PDFs and can see there is a clip in the middle but there is really no way to disengage this clip. I do notice on the back caps there is a spot I may be able to use a flat head screw driver to pry it off but I do not want to break them.

Has anyone successfully removed these caps without damage and if so I would love some tips. Thanks!

Great pics ZULU CX! You can see the slot in those pictures. I always try and use something plastic when prying on something plastic. They make some great plastic prybars that you can get for things like this. But when those are not available I get inventive...Maybe a plastic spoon or knife, or a pancake turner or old gift card or a guitar pick...

Here is the install instruction sheet from Mazda. "Removal is the reverse of installation" (aside from having to buy new gutter trim)

http://ep.yimg.com/ty/cdn/yhst-24809172479195/cx5roofrails.pdf

Last edited:
Nice! jparker0201, please report back on any change in wind noise. My CX-5 had them installed at the port of entry and the price tacked onto the sticker. If removal reduces wind noise, I'll have a pair of rails for sale.

Thanks, guys! When I got home from work last night I wrapped a flathead in electrical tape and decided to attempt to pry the bad boys off again and quit being scared. To my delight off they came with not much more force than I had previously used.

ColtX, unfortunately I am only removing the roof rails to have them Plasti Dipped and they will be going back on immediately so I doubt I will be able to comment on wind noise.

Thanks, guys! When I got home from work last night I wrapped a flathead in electrical tape and decided to attempt to pry the bad boys off again and quit being scared. To my delight off they came with not much more force than I had previously used.

ColtX, unfortunately I am only removing the roof rails to have them Plasti Dipped and they will be going back on immediately so I doubt I will be able to comment on wind noise.

I did mine the other day. I ended up removing the bar into 3 pieces to try to make it easier. Ive been on a plasti-dip spree lately, but these were the hardest to do and came out the worst. One side looks great, the other I oversprayed the last layer. The real issue though was I did it on a table and sticking to painters tape on it, it didn't remove as easy as other items I've done. On the caps, there's one part that had slight silver showing. Also it's easy for drops to hang and create a bubble since it isn't sit flat. It still looks good until you get really close to it and look at the detail of itm I'm debating on removing it and using a vinyl for it since it would be easy to hide the cuts. It depends how much it bugs me since I want everything to be perfect.

I did mine the other day. I ended up removing the bar into 3 pieces to try to make it easier. Ive been on a plasti-dip spree lately, but these were the hardest to do and came out the worst. One side looks great, the other I oversprayed the last layer. The real issue though was I did it on a table and sticking to painters tape on it, it didn't remove as easy as other items I've done. On the caps, there's one part that had slight silver showing. Also it's easy for drops to hang and create a bubble since it isn't sit flat. It still looks good until you get really close to it and look at the detail of itm I'm debating on removing it and using a vinyl for it since it would be easy to hide the cuts. It depends how much it bugs me since I want everything to be perfect.

How would you recommend doing if it you could do it again all over? still vinyl?

Well, here is the finished product. Overall I'm super pleased with the outcome and the new look.

2aafqr4.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How much did it cost to get your wheels painted?

I had received a quote to have the face and inside of the wheels painted for $600 and $150 for the roof rails.

Ultimately, I ended up plasti dipping both myself for about $30 and 8-10 hours of my time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back