Remove key fob battery if not using?

If I'm only using one of the two key fobs, should I take the battery out of the spare? From my understanding, the key is constantly transmitting a signal, so does that mean the battery is being drained as well?

It is being drained. Both of my key fobs die within hours of each other regardless of which one is being used.

However, Id hesitate to remove and reinsert multiple times. Ive had to replace the body of one of my key fobs because the clips no longer clasped tightly anymore. The more times you crack the fob open the more wear and tear youll put on the key fob body.

These batteries are so cheap that it does not matter even it has drained out, but I can understand the hassle of changing them. I have also noticed that the fob is rather weak and the clasps seem to break easily.

If I'm only using one of the two key fobs, should I take the battery out of the spare? From my understanding, the key is constantly transmitting a signal, so does that mean the battery is being drained as well?

There is always a standby circuit draining power, though it might be rather slow drain.
It is a good idea to remove the battery if you want to. I am just too lazy to do that.

If you're going to have to open the fob up to remove the battery why not just wait till the battery is in need of replacement to do so?

I wrap my spare in tinfoil, don't know if it will keep it from draining the battery, but I do this when I travel so the spare is in the vehicle but still allows me to lock and unlock with my other one.

I suspect the key fob is always sending out a signal that the car only listens for. I don*t think that wrapping it in foil or even a block of lead will stop that.

I had to replace mine and the batteries came in a 4-pack so it seemed best to replace both. The range was only a few feet and sometimes I had to press the button more than once.

Batteries age even sitting on a shelf.

I used to have the battery in the spare fob die constantly. Started putting it in an RF blocking pouch and no longer have the issue.

The pouch works as I've tested it by putting the key in then bringing it with me and trying to unlock/lock with the proximity button on drivers door and even trying to start the car.

As others have posted, I wouldn't bother to remove the battery as if it did get drained, not that expensive to replace. Also, you don't want to have to fumble with a battery when indeed you need the spare key. It's always at that moment you need the key when you can't find your original.

You can get a pack of 20 batteries on ebay for like $7usd that'll last years lol.

The way these systems normally work is this. (I'm sure that our Mazdas are no different)

The fob does not constantly broadcast a signal but it does constantly listen for a signal from the car. When a request button is pressed on the car, the car sends out a signal and the fob 'hears' it. If the fob hears the correct signal it then sends out it's own signal that tells the car that it's ok to start.

You can get a pack of 20 batteries on ebay for like $7usd that'll last years lol.

I'm never buying batteries on Amazon again. Bought a 6 pack for my Volvo and each only lasted a couple weeks. Local drug store sells them I found out.

Mazda is over 3 years old now and still, on those first batteries.

Bunch of anal mother effer's on this website. :D

Back