Recommendations for 2015 CX-5 head unit upgrade?

Octavian

:
2015 CX-5 Touring AWD
So, I'm pretty tired of the crappy head unit on this car and I'm looking to replace it. If anyone has recommendations, I'd greatly appreaciate it.

Must haves:

- Work with steering wheel controls (volume control, calling, etc.)
- Work with rear-camera
- Quick loading of music on USB

Would like:
- Built in GPS (I don't have GPS currently)
- Voice command (preferably via the steering wheel button)
- Satellite radio

Pretty sure I don't get?:
- Car setup options (lock beep volume, etc.)

Any suggestions?

I am considering buying a CX-5 but am concerned about the audio systems they put in them. I think I would want to have the unit changed by a friend who understands car audio.

Since you have experience and seem to be a knowledgable car audio person, I want to know how difficult is it to change a non Bose audio unit in a CX-5?

They seem to be pretty well integrated into the dash and with the knob\joystick thing on the console, I don't want to mess the car up.

I'm not an audiophile but I do want a fairly simple set of audio controls (ie buttons to change stations and functions), connect to my iphone for streaming music and phone calls. NO IN CAR NAV. I use my phone for this...

Thanks for your input.

John

I am getting ready to install a Pioneer AVH-5800BHS (2016 model). Most of your list (Nav & Sirius optional). In-car nav doesn't include free map updates and so forth, I will use phone.

I heard too many lukewarm reviews and comments of Carplay and Android Auto (like chuggy's above), I do not feel they are solid technology.

I will document my install, still gathering parts and pieces.

I assume with these non-Mazda head units, it doesn't allow for car lock and light settings, etc??

I know this was a million years ago, but I'm the OP, so nyah!

Anyone able to post any new experiences with head units on the 2015 CX-5?

If Carista or replacement head unit supported the vehicle customization options I would be all over it... I'm probably a month or so from 3/36 expiring. I'd hate to have to somehow hook up the old HU to make a change or pay a dealer to make modification.

Love the Pioneer 4200 NEX with the Maestro RR to control SW controls and allow for a few additions to the system.
The head unit looks great, retains factory backup cam with use of metra harness and a voltage step-down adapter...
Sound is much better was better even with stock speakers. Larger screen, looks like it belongs...
As far as adjusting the factory settings, My dealer didn't charge me when I had the battery replaced, I guess they are all different.

I just installed a pioneer 8200Nex with a sirus tuner and retained the backup camera. Of course the installer at best buy is not interested in the tutorial online on how to do it and the first one stopped working after 2 days and I just got it back today. He thinks the PAC MZ-11 harness was defective so I bought a new one. I don't care for Android Auto but the pioneer does work with bluetooth and Voice control on the steering wheel and I finally figured out it requires a LONG press to work. With Android Auto plugged in it was a short press. I am getting used to and starting to figure out the Nav although I wish it has voice control for addresses. I did figure out how to do the brake bypass using the screen so entering addresses (for the passenger) is now available. I have an IPOD cable on the way so I can use video but I can watch DVD/CD using the CD player and I also have movies and songs on the SD card. I am going to plug in an HDMI cable so I have that as an option too. I don't like to have grayed out icons when I paid for something that is supossedly top of the line!

There are not enough pics of these aftermarket HU's in these threads. *AHEM* ;)

I have the Kenwood DNN991HD and I like it. It takes a bit to fully start up, but it works great.
I'm trying to make it work, with a Miracast adapter, to be able to stream my phone's screen wirelessly to my Kenwood's screen.
It works, but it is not an easy startup process. Sometime works, sometimes not. I have gaps in the songs, but that maybe is my lack of proper data service(I'm not paying for data, just getting 30MB free from T-Mobile, without high speed data, it is very slow).
I have just ordered a different Miracast adapter, to eliminate one device in this chain, to be the problem.

I installed a Chinese Head unit with Android, and it is working pretty well and I am very happy with it. Brand is Joying and it has a good support. Mine is an older model with 1GB RAM, I did a tutorial, it is in spanish but includes a lot of pictures and a pdf for the wiring

https://www.clubmazdacx5.com/temas/tuto-instalacion-radio-joying-android-5-1.6638/

Newer units have Intel CPU, 2GB RAM, 32GB Flash, Android 5.1, GPS, WiFi, BT, SWC, BU Camera...Price is around $300, and does not require extra HW (RP4-MZ11) for SWC.

https://www.carjoying.com/new-android-car-radio/quad-core-2-din-android-car-audio.html

Last edited:
I have the AVH 5800 BHS HU in my Toyota Sienna and its a good unit. I've mostly run Alpine units with my previous cars.I had an Alpine HU recently in my Mazda5 that I sold 6 months ago and I prefer Alpine because of their awesome sound shaping tools. The time alignment and that 9 band parametric EQ works awesome and is much better than a 13 band graphic EQ like on the Pioneer.

In my CX5 I use an AudioControl DQ-61 sound processor to integrate with the stock HU so I can run my Amplifiers and subwoofer. This processor has a very simple but really effective time alignment feature and makes my stock HU sound every bit as good as a new HU. You may want to consider this option if you want to keep the stock radios programmable accessory features or stock look.

Back