Rear window WASHER not working on 2012 CX-9- any ideas???

IgoZoom

:
2012 Mazda CX-9 GT FWD, Crystal White Pearl, Bose/Moonroof
Hey guys,

I refilled my washer fluid reservoir today and it was almost empty. I tested it by washing the windshield and it worked fine. But when I turned the knob backward to spray washer fluid on the back window, all I got was the wiper screeching across the dry rear wiindow!

I know it was working two months ago, but seemed to be a very weak spray and I started to wonder if something might be wrong with it. But now I've got the tank filled with washer fluid and all Ihear is the humming sound of a motor when I twist the knob.

I'm thinking that one of the following is theissue-

Spray nozzle clogged and I can't reach it through the tiny hole in the spoiler at the top of the liftgate. I did take a soft, long brush today and sprayed with the water hose hoping it would unclog if there was an issue, but no luck. I don't like to hold the wash button more than 10 seconds, then release and let it rest for a few minutes before trying again. I probably tried as many as 10 times over the course of a few hours and nothing!

So I'm wondering if there is something wrong where the hose supplying the rear washer fluid has become damaged along the way back to the rear OR maybe where the line connects to the washer fluid reservoir?

Any ideas? Has anyone has the same problem?

Hey guys,

I refilled my washer fluid reservoir today and it was almost empty. I tested it by washing the windshield and it worked fine. But when I turned the knob backward to spray washer fluid on the back window, all I got was the wiper screeching across the dry rear wiindow!

I know it was working two months ago, but seemed to be a very weak spray and I started to wonder if something might be wrong with it. But now I've got the tank filled with washer fluid and all Ihear is the humming sound of a motor when I twist the knob.

I'm thinking that one of the following is theissue-

Spray nozzle clogged and I can't reach it through the tiny hole in the spoiler at the top of the liftgate. I did take a soft, long brush today and sprayed with the water hose hoping it would unclog if there was an issue, but no luck. I don't like to hold the wash button more than 10 seconds, then release and let it rest for a few minutes before trying again. I probably tried as many as 10 times over the course of a few hours and nothing!

So I'm wondering if there is something wrong where the hose supplying the rear washer fluid has become damaged along the way back to the rear OR maybe where the line connects to the washer fluid reservoir?

Any ideas? Has anyone has the same problem?

most likely a disconnected hose line from the reservoir, I did a search and that seemed to be the common problem,

http://www.fordflex.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9601

on the CX-9 it's very easy to get to the washer fluid reservoir, you'll need to remove the undercarriage plastic panels under the passenger foglight,

once you get that off just, check that all the washer fluid hoses and T-connectors are connected.

Also, while you're down there have someone activate the rear washer fluid and check for any errant spraying fluid from any disconnection from

the reservoir.

P.S> this happened to me : if it's cold in your area, the rear washer fluid line might just be iced up,

and the problem will go away once the weather warms up and the clogged line thaws.

Last edited:
You said you could hear the humming of the pump and held it for 10 seconds at least 10 times so if it was a disconnected line you'd have a big puddle of washer fluid somewhere. It sounds like a clog or a failing pump to me. Both will require you getting access to the reservoir. I'd start by disconnecting the line going to the rear window and hitting the rear wash button to see if the pump throws a good stream of fluid. If it does you may need to take apart the rear hatch so you can pull the line off the nozzle to troubleshoot where the clog is.

I see you're in GA so I doubt it's frozen. It was 50 degrees in Buffalo yesterday so I'm guessing it was at least that in GA. :)

You said you could hear the humming of the pump and held it for 10 seconds at least 10 times so if it was a disconnected line you'd have a big puddle of washer fluid somewhere. It sounds like a clog or a failing pump to me. Both will require you getting access to the reservoir. I'd start by disconnecting the line going to the rear window and hitting the rear wash button to see if the pump throws a good stream of fluid. If it does you may need to take apart the rear hatch so you can pull the line off the nozzle to troubleshoot where the clog is.

I see you're in GA so I doubt it's frozen. It was 50 degrees in Buffalo yesterday so I'm guessing it was at least that in GA. :)

Bad news, it appears to be a clog in the line somewhere. I took the plastic shield off the passenger side to access the reservoir and when the washer knob is turned, it squirts washer fluid. Now I'm trying to figure out how to get the plastic shield back on! It is secured with three screws and two plastic fasteners. One fastener stayed attached to panel but the other one didn't and I'm having a helluva time getting it back thru the hole. I don't want to force it so hard that I break the snaps on it......

Could the nozzle (located in the spoiler at the top of the liftgate) be clogged? I wonder how difficult it is to take the spoiler off to check? Or maybe I'll just pretend like it didn't come with a rear washer.....like my old '91 Honda Civic. It had a wiper, but no washer.....and I had to buy the clock, right-side door mirror (not to mention the stereo and A/C) as extras. I've grown a little spoiled in the 25 years since then. Just the other day I was wishing that the steering wheel tilt/telescope function was electric and steering wheel position was included with the seat memory buttons.

Once I get the panel re-attached underneath, I'm going to shelve this for a little while. I'm leaving for a road trip (from Atlanta to Pittsburgh, then Pittsburgh to Hershey and back to Pittsburgh, then back to Atlanta. Only about 1900 miles, no biggie! (bang) At least I'll be alone and I'll have my Bose Centerpoint Surround Sound and SIRIUS to enjoy....trying to think positively.

And I'm also anxious to see what sort of fuel economy I get on the trip. It's all interstate (except for a 60-70-mile stretch on US-19 to bypass Charleston, WV and shave an hour off the trip) and I won't be using the A/C as much as I normally do. From the TN/VA line thru half of WV, I'll be stuck driving the speed limit so I should get the best mileage ever! My record highway fuel economy in three years and 51k miles is 20.3mpg on a trip to tour the BMW Factory in Spartanburg, SC and back. That was at 80mph most of the way, A/C on (it was in July) and with a passenger.

Last edited:
Now I'm trying to figure out how to get the plastic shield back on! It is secured with three screws and two plastic fasteners. One fastener stayed attached to panel but the other one didn't and I'm having a helluva time getting it back thru the hole. I don't want to force it so hard that I break the snaps on it......Could the nozzle (located in the spoiler at the top of the liftgate) be clogged? I wonder how difficult it is to take the spoiler off to check?

Those snaps never last, I've broken so many of them already when I installed my Hella HID projector foglights,

this is what you need just in case, 10mm hole snap panel fasteners : https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

if you're really in a bind and need them right away, any auto store (ie Pep Boys, AutoZone, will have them in stock guaranteed)

bring one of your originals just in case so you can make sure you buy the right size.

For the clogged line, try a simple trick first, disconnect the rear fluid line from the reservoir.

then get a miniature vacuum adapter kit and hook one end to a powerful shop vac and the other end to the detached rear windshield fluid

hose at the reservoir. Turn the vacuum on and suck out the clog, below is link to miniature vacuum adapter kit, it's what I use to

unclog the AC drain, it works great and it'll save you the headache of ripping apart the spoiler. I'm positive you'll suck out the clog in no

time it can't be lodged in that tight because the reservoir fluid low pressure that clogged it in the first place can't compare to the shop vac

high pressure which means backing out the clog will be easy.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Last edited:
Those snaps never last, I've broken so many of them already when I installed my Hella HID projector foglights,

this is what you need just in case, 10mm hole snap panel fasteners...

if you're really in a bind and need them right away, any auto store (ie Pep Boys, AutoZone, will have them in stock guaranteed)

bring one of your originals just in case so you can make sure you buy the right size.

For the clogged line, try a simple trick first, disconnect the rear fluid line from the reservoir.

then get a miniature vacuum adapter kit and hook one end to a powerful shop vac and the other end to the detached rear windshield fluid

hose at the reservoir. Turn the vacuum on and suck out the clog, below is link to miniature vacuum adapter kit, it's what I use to

unclog the AC drain, it works great and it'll save you the headache of ripping apart the spoiler. I'm positive you'll suck out the clog in no

time it can't be lodged in that tight because the reservoir fluid low pressure that clogged it in the first place can't compare to the shop vac

high pressure which means backing out the clog will be easy.

Thanks very much for the tip on the fasteners and I will definitely try the vacuum method when I return from my trip to Pittsburgh. I found the clips at AutoZone and reattached it with no problem. I will survive without the rear washer until I get back.

can not get fluid to the back windshield....fig out its not the pump....found everytime we tried to squirt fluid to the back we found the pass side floor board would get wet.
The break is behind the dash.....I heard it when I tied to blow it out....So how in the heck can I get back there behind the dash to replace/repair the line?? Looks as if the fender has to come off.....thx

great site!

Last edited:
can not get fluid to the back windshield....fig out its no the pump....found everytime we tried to squirt fluid to the back we found the pass side floor board would get wet.
The break is behind the dash.....I heard it when I tied to blow it out....So how in the heck can I get back there behind the dash to replace/repair the line?? Looks as if the fender has to come off.....thx

great site!

Wow, that really sucks. I wonder what is the exact path that the tubing is routed from the front washer fluid reservoir to the top of the liftgate?

I tried the methods and suggestions above with no success. My rear washer hasn't worked for over six months now. I've given up on trying to fix it, at least for now. I was getting so frustrated that I knew I'd end up breaking something if I kept trying to find the source of the problem. I figured it was better to put it off for a while instead. It still pisses me off that it doesn't work (and that it stopped working less than two months after the warranty expired), but overall it's still a great vehicle. Now that pollen season (and my winter trip to PA) are over, I really don't need it.

I keep hoping that it might miraculously start working again.....

BTW, What year is your CX-9?

Wow, that really sucks. I wonder what is the exact path that the tubing is routed from the front washer fluid reservoir to the top of the liftgate?

I tried the methods and suggestions above with no success. My rear washer hasn't worked for over six months now. I've given up on trying to fix it, at least for now. I was getting so frustrated that I knew I'd end up breaking something if I kept trying to find the source of the problem. I figured it was better to put it off for a while instead. It still pisses me off that it doesn't work (and that it stopped working less than two months after the warranty expired), but overall it's still a great vehicle. Now that pollen season (and my winter trip to PA) are over, I really don't need it.

I keep hoping that it might miraculously start working again.....

BTW, What year is your CX-9?

2010....Yea I fig I would wait too....been going on a year and no-go. So now trying to fix issue

Latest posts

Back