Rear squeek and klunks to death

SpeedBeaver

:
Mazdaspeed Protege
Before and after installing Evolv's klunk fix kit. It actualy got worse after the install. I followed the instruction rigorously and greased the bushings like crazy but it still klunks like hell. It actualy made things worse than before.

After some searching I found that it could either be the strut itself or simply the end-links. I think that I will remove the end-links and see if I still get the noises.

My question is: any tips on removing those? Do I need to jack the rear and remove the wheels to releive the stress on the link before removing? Also, once disconnected, do I just leave them hanging or I can use a bunch of tie-wraps to keep them from falling on the ground or hitting the wheel?

Any tips or information is welcome. Thanks.

Last edited:
I have the Delsing but I remember after the install I had weird noises...so we put it back on the lift to see and everything looked normal BUT. We decided to push that stopper used with the stock bushing and pushed it right up against the klunk braket. Now the bar does not move in either direction with accessive cornering.

Things to check...make sure you have the same amount of spacer/washers on each side exactly and in same position. Any little differences will cause it to klunk again.

Take a picture if you can....easier to understand and maybe we can help.

In general if it's klunking again..it's because there is play in the bushing...maybe your braket isn't tight enough, not the right size or if you have washers, remove them to allow bracket as close and tight as possible.

In general if it's klunking again..it's because there is play in the bushing...maybe your braket isn't tight enough, not the right size or if you have washers, remove them to allow bracket as close and tight as possible.
I'm not using any washers. I simply followed the instructions for the install. I also relocated the rubber ring that held the stock bushings in place. That ring is now "sandwitched" between the newly relocated bushing and the collar clamp.

I will try to take pictures tonight.

Please note that this isn't normal msp klunk... this is worse, a lot worse.
I couldn't take pictures yesterday but I will for sure tonight.

I look forward to seeing the pictures. Also, take pictures of your end links and your struts.

Make sure you tightened the bolts for the cross member fully, and apply lock tite as well. Those bolts liked to work themselves loose on my car after the installation. One application of lock tite solved that problem and the clunk it was causing.

Mine only went away with the AWR sway bar... All of the klunk fixes, well, didn't really fix the clunk.

Ok it turns out that my rear shocks are done for. What is the stock replacement parts? OEM parts are $354 cnd each my dealer says.

You might want to double check those part numbers with bagman1, but I got them from the mazda parts catalog. Check out onlinemazdaparts.com, because that's pretty much the only place to get them online without getting reamed on prices.

I even have brand new oem sealed...both rear strut mounts if yours are finished or rusted!! Don't ask me why but I like to keep spare parts...and I'm willing to help you out, plus I need the money.

Last edited:
Thanks Jay, like I said in the PM I'll let you know once I get them checked out to confirm they are done for.

Back