Rear Hatch won't close with button or key fob

When the rear hatch is open and I press the button or the key fob for the motor to close it, it starts closing, immediately beeps and stops. It closes and locks fine manually. If I close it manually just a tiny bit and hit the button, it will then close with the motor with no problem. Any ideas? It's like some safely feature is engaging.

Last edited:
It does have a safety whereby if it senses anything blocking it, it will reverse automatically.

Perhaps there is a slight bind in the hydrolic support that requires more force than it is willing to give to get it started? Do you feel any kind of catch at all when you push it closed manually - even a slight one?

TSB: 0905510 DEC 10 Body - Power Liftgate Malfunctions
See if you can find more on it.

The power liftgate is torque sensing. It bounces back when it encounters resistance, which
could be from the motor or the sensor strips on both sides of the gate.
It could also be the motor needs to be replaced. Hard to say.

Maybe after you open up the rear side interior panel and see the motor in action,
you will see what is making it reverse. Taking that panel off is not that difficult.

Well, I'm not going to complain but it's working fine now. I'll keep an eye on it and if it happen again I'll know where to start. Thanks for the help!

Latest posts

Back