Rear differential replaced at 69,500 km

:
2014 CX 5 GT
Last fall, a noise developed in the rear of my 2014 CX5 GT, which I interpreted as tire noise, since the OEM Toyos (225-55-R19) were down to about 4-32nds and the wear was a bit uneven. This was only after approximately 42,000 km on the Toyos, which I have since replaced, see the thread in the Wheels-Tires area for my initial review. I have a set of winter tires also; they currently have 24,900 km on them, that is why there is only 42,000 km on the Toyos.

The noise persisted after installing the winter tires last December, and it got a bit worse over the winter. I mentioned this to the dealer, but in all fairness to them, I explained that I interpreted the noise as a rotational growl/whine and told them I was certain it was tire related and never asked them to look into it further. In April, I had my Toyos re-installed hoping to get one more season out of them. Over the next few weeks, the noise got worse (almost unbearable at highway speed), so I decided to buy new all seasons. The dealer matched a Canadian Tire sale on the Pirelli P7’s and installed them in early May. I also asked them to check the alignment, thinking that was perhaps one of the reasons for the excessive noise.

I received a call later in the day from the service department. After installing the tires and checking the alignment (which was actually good on all four), they took it for a drive and discovered that the noise was still there. Back in the shop, they found the noise in the rear differential. After a bit of back and forth with Mazda Canada, it was decided to replace the unit under warranty. Although the CX5 was beyond the standard 3-year warranty, the 5-year power train warranty was still valid. According to the dealer, it would have cost about $1,700 to replace ($1,200 in parts). Apparently that was the first CX5 they had heard of that needed the rear diff replaced. If I recall correctly, the service manager said that a seal was gone.

I have no idea why the failure happened, I expect that it was an anomaly. I do not drive the vehicle off-road, just the normal wear and tear of Canadian winters. I don’t think the rear diff was ever submerged, either. I absolutely love my CX5, it has performed flawlessly and I still make excuses to go for a drive, even after 3 years of ownership. I usually don’t post in these forums (check my post count), and tend to use the forum as an information source, but I thought I would share this experience.

And yes, the CX5 is quiet again, just like new with the new rubber!

Last edited:
This means ALL AWD rear differential on CX-5 eventually will have a failed bearing... ?! :(

Not sure I would go that far but I would be prudent in rear diff fluid changes if this bearing is located in a lubricated area of the diff. I might need to study the schematic some to see if that is the case though.

Not sure I would go that far but I would be prudent in rear diff fluid changes if this bearing is located in a lubricated area of the diff. I might need to study the schematic some to see if that is the case though.
From the TSB, it's obvious that Mazda has tried to fix the failed input shaft bearing problem on rear differential with two production changes. The second one happened as late as on Oct. 1, 2015. This indicates all rear differentials installed before that date would potentially have the failed bearing at certain point.

"The following mass-production changes have been implemented to eliminate the noise.
Description Starting VIN and Production Date
1. The assembly process was improved. JM3KE******391989 (September 16, 2013)
2. The shape of the coupling unit housing was changed. JM3KE******725078 (October 1, 2015)
"

This is the similar fix like the early transmission bearing failure with changing the "shape" of the housing which holds the input shaft bearing.

Change the fluid in the rear differential as an added precaution. I changed mine at 6,500 miles. Overkill? Maybe but it was only $12 total

I will probably change the fluid every 15k - 20k miles.

Thanks Kedis, I had seen that post but had forgotten about it. Not sure if this makes a difference, but the noise was not a rattle or chatter, but a continuous growl, present at all speeds. It even created a resonance that rattled the rear window at about 70 km/hr.

BTW, I forgot to mention in my original post that for the 48,000 km service, the dealer noted that they checked the differential fluids.

BTW, I forgot to mention in my original post that for the 48,000 km service, the dealer noted that they checked the differential fluids.

Unfortunately that check is probably just an "inspection" to see if there are any leaks and the removal of diff fill plug to ensure there is fluid in rear diff.

It sounds like you drive in a lot of winter conditions. Perhaps Mazda needs to add an additional criteria of e) snowy/slippery conditions ?

This more than likely puts some level of extra load on the rear diff like "a)"

"*3 If the vehicle is operated primarily under any of the following conditions, replace the rear differential oil at
every 48,000 km (30,000 miles).
a) Towing a trailer or using a car-top carrier
b) Driving in dusty, sandy or wet conditions
c) Extended periods of idling or low speed operation
d) Repeated short trips of less than 16 km (10 miles)
*4 If this component has been submerged in water, the oil should be replaced."

Unfortunately that check is probably just an "inspection" to see if there are any leaks and the removal of diff fill plug to ensure there is fluid in rear diff.

It sounds like you drive in a lot of winter conditions. Perhaps Mazda needs to add an additional criteria of e) snowy/slippery conditions ?

This more than likely puts some level of extra load on the rear diff like "a)"
The way Mazda is approaching to fix the bearing issue on its rear differential has nothing to do with gear oil. By changing the shape of the case housing indicates the problem is coming from the structure strength of the housing, which is the design issue. Changing gear oil more often won't resolve the problem on physical defect on housing.

To OP, the noise might be different, but it was typical noise and vibration from a bad input shaft bearing according to what you'd described.

The way Mazda is approaching to fix the bearing issue on its rear differential has nothing to do with gear oil. By changing the shape of the case housing indicates the problem is coming from the structure strength of the housing, which is the design issue. Changing gear oil more often won't resolve the problem on physical defect on housing.

To OP, the noise might be different, but it was typical noise and vibration from a bad input shaft bearing according to what you'd described.

It's hard to say and we are speculating since Mazda engineers have not released a statement. Design changes are being made but who is to say exactly why and IF the new design changes will work? Mazda developed the differential and didn't find out until years later that it might have issues. This new design might cause other issues. Time will tell.

Nothing in mechanical engineering is 100% until the product is put into full use and years later, the results will show if it was a good design or needs to be modified. Mazda found out the hard way that their diesel SkyActiv engines had major issues but it was too late since the engines were already in thousands of vehicles.

I haven't heard of too many failures. I'm not worried about it, life is short, that's what warranties are for.

It's hard to say and we are speculating since Mazda engineers have not released a statement. Design changes are being made but who is to say exactly why and IF the new design changes will work? Mazda developed the differential and didn't find out until years later that it might have issues. This new design might cause other issues. Time will tell.
No this is not speculating but it's been said in the TSB. Mazda has implemented two production changes to eliminate rear differential bearing failure. Changing the shape on the coupling unit housing is similar to changing the automatic transmission housing for the input shaft bearing failure from an early TSB. What I'm trying to say is changing gear oil more often is useless to prevent this type of bearing failure. And the modified rear differential definitely have less chance having the failed bearing as Mazda engineers purposely changed coupling house just for eliminating the issue. I would worried a bit after my powertrain warranty has expired because I really don't know when the bearing would start failing, like a ticking time bomb.

Rattle / Chatter Noise From Rear Differential 2013-2016 Mazda CX-5
While driving at low speeds, some vehicles may exhibit a chattering / rattling type noise from the rear of the vehicle.
The noise may be caused by a rear differential bearing failure.
The following mass-production changes have been implemented to eliminate the noise.
Description Starting VIN and Production Date
1. The assembly process was improved. JM3KE******391989 (September 16, 2013)
2. The shape of the coupling unit housing was changed. JM3KE******725078 (October 1, 2015)

Probably no bearing on this but when I changed rear diff there was noticeably less rear diff fluid than what I replaced. I did not measure volume but I also wasn't able to feel any OEM liquid in the fill hole either. Refill took to fill line.

As more is known maybe we can identify which bearing in schematic is affected. Not really gonna sweat it as I know a design change doesn't guarantee failure fix. I'm probably pushing my CX-5 more than others so if this one bites...it might be me. Next week plan to take CX-5 in for the leak.

Last edited:
Probably no bearing on this but when I changed rear diff there was noticeably less rear diff fluid than what I replaced. I did not measure volume but I also wasn't able to feel any OEM liquid in the fill hole either. Refill took to fill line.

As more is know maybe we can identify which bearing in schematic is affected. Not really gonna sweat it as I know a design change doesn't guarantee failure. I'm probably pushing my CX-5 more than others so if this one bites...it might be me. Next week plan to take CX-5 in for the leak.

Same here, the rear seemed like it was UNDERFILLED from the factory.

Same here. NOT GONNA SWEAT IT AS A DESIGN CHANGE DOESN'T GUARANTEE that the new design will be better or worse. It took Mazda 2 years to decide to change the coupling design.

No this is not speculating but it's been said in the TSB. Mazda has implemented two production changes to eliminate rear differential bearing failure. C I would worried a bit after my powertrain warranty has expired because I really don't know when the bearing would start failing, like a ticking time bomb.

It DOES NOT say that. You are speculating and reading into the TSB. It states the "noise might be caused" by a rear bearing failure. So Mazda changed the assembly process in 2013 and then 2 years later it change the coupling unit housing. Still unknown what the outcome will be? Mazda still doesn't know what is causing the problem so they are doing guesswork. It wouldn't have taken 2 years to realize that option #1 didn't fix the problem.

I don't mean to sound harsh but are you a hypochondriac with health and/or cars?

It seems as though you get worked up with any of these issues. Like the trans or differential, etc. I was a little like that with my cars MANY years ago but learned s*** and life happens, the more you worry about things out of your control, it's pointless and destroys your mind and health. I try and maintain my stuff as best as possible but if there is some type of manufacturing flaw that takes 5 years to figure out by the manufacturer, it's out of control and I am not going to worry about it. It blows up, it blows up. Oh well, life happens. I can't stop it and control it since it's an engineering flaw.

Last edited:
Back