Random skip. Need help. Pissing me off!!!

Bvisailer

:
2003 Mazda protege5
I've had my p5 for almost a year now and can't remember if this skip started before or after the mp3 ecu. All I know is I have replaced everything to do with electrical and flow tested my injectors. Nothing fixes it. No cel. Very random. Uppon starting of it will cut out once maybe twice then its fine while I'm driving. Once in a while it will cut out once while going up a hill. Not a "bogging down" issue either. I can be going 30 and drop into 5th and floor it and its smooth then still may only cut out once. No particular rpms. New coil packs.plugs.wires.clean mafs. Also, when idleing it will skip. Just once...few seconds later will do it again. When AC is on it hits harder when it skips of course. All of this happens after it has warmed up. Won't skip at all when started cold. Any thoughts appreciated.

Your description of "skipping" doesn't tell me anything about your situation... What is skipping?

If you mean a miss-fire, then it could be a number of things. Since you already changed your plugs and coils, I would check for bad gas. How long has this been happening?

Be more specific on what you are experiencing with accurate vocabulary, otherwise diagnosing will be difficult on our end.

Your description of "skipping" doesn't tell me anything about your situation... What is skipping?

If you mean a miss-fire, then it could be a number of things. Since you already changed your plugs and coils, I would check for bad gas. How long has this been happening?

Be more specific on what you are experiencing with accurate vocabulary, otherwise diagnosing will be difficult on our end.
Yes. It miss fires once maybe twice when your starting off. Have been running 93 with the mp3 ecu and have used different gas stations.
I'm not sure how else to explain it other than the way I did.
Sitting still and idleing it will randomly miss fire once. Then a few seconds later it will miss fire once again.

Could be a stuck EGR but most likely it's the coil packs or the wiring to them. I have had bad parts right out of the box

Yes. It miss fires once maybe twice when your starting off. Have been running 93 with the mp3 ecu and have used different gas stations.
I'm not sure how else to explain it other than the way I did.
Sitting still and idleing it will randomly miss fire once. Then a few seconds later it will miss fire once again.

If it is a missfire at idle, then I will say EGR. From experience, it has always been the EGR causing rough idles and random missfires for any protege I touched.

I think you should run half a can of sea foam in the gas and half up the brake booster.

May not fix it but it can't hurt and only costs ten bucks.

When my car will starts to "stumble" at idle, seafoam fixes it.

I'll definitely try sea foam. And I can under stand and idle. But it stumbles starting off then its smooth. And once in a blue mood I'll be driving along and it will miss fire again. I am going to be doing the intake mod soon. So egr and iac will be getting cleaned.

...but most likely it's the coil packs or the wiring to them. I have had bad parts right out of the box

^^ What he said... Coils on our car can be a real PITA... They can test fine then fail on the car... When the feel like it...

But if a coil pack is bad, wouldn't it either work or not? This miss fire is so random. Think its hard to be a coil pack. Replaced them a month ago along with wires and okugs

I personally don't think it's a coil, if you replaced them, move onto egr. When cleaning the egr. Make sure the shaft can move and isn't getting stuck.

Hi check both the EGR and you should get an electronics technician to look at your MAF. Most times we assume there are dirty but sometimes the soldered joints and connections inside start to seperate (dry joints) and as the car vibrates the intermittent signal occurs!

But if a coil pack is bad, wouldn't it either work or not? This miss fire is so random. Think its hard to be a coil pack. Replaced them a month ago along with wires and okugs

I've had bad coils cause a stumble at idle but drive fine at higher rpms, and i've had bad coils cause the car to only miss under load. But if they are both brand new and the wires and boots are new and clean and seated they are probably ok.

Will definitely be cleaning egr and iac when intake mod is done. I have cleaned the MAF a week ago. May just look into getting a new one. Just hate throwing parts at it and not fix anything. But ya gotta do what you gotta do.lol.

Try putting your old coils back on if you still have them.

If you're gonna toss money at it, I'd start with coils... even though you've got new ones on.

But if a coil pack is bad, wouldn't it either work or not?

No... That's why they're so damn annoying... They get weak and or "leak" their spark.

Heat soak, vibration, humidity, electrical load, gremlins...

I went with BeckArnley from rock auto... they have been fine for me.
OEM may be your best bet but they are big $$$...

Yea that's what I want to stay away from....big $$$ lol. I'll probably grab a set of OEM. I'll throw old ones on first and see what she does.

found this on a spec page on one of my other posts asking about the engine in the p5s.

"97+ european manual transmission versions also received a progressive throttle body (FSJ1) for easier low speed (low gear) control... it has the same 55mm size as the FSD7/FS1G automatic version (which is what all non-european 97/98+ FS-DE and FP-DEs ones got, including japan)... it is the true fix for the low speed bucking problem that has plagued our cars... no european owner has ever complained about a bucking problem compared to us... it is also better for a high power MSP for easier daily driving and better launch control... it will bolt on but requires the EDM throttle cable and cable bracket"

this may be what would fix my bucking? every time i start off it skips and bucks. i have to feather the throttle to keep it from doing so. now im not sure if it would fix my random skip when im just cruising down the road. which would be fine. its the starting off part that i dont like the most.

I think you should run half a can of sea foam in the gas and half up the brake booster.

May not fix it but it can't hurt and only costs ten bucks.

When my car will starts to "stumble" at idle, seafoam fixes it.

yes, do this.

Back