random ramblings: '17 dash gap, CX-3 headrest, '17 RF

:
2013 CX-9 AWD, 2016.5 CX-5 AWD
just some observations while I was at the dealer.....

noticed the same dash gap that some '17 owners are reporting.... so it's not isolated, this was brand new CX-5 on the showroom floor.... my picture doesn't really show how bad it is, but there an air gap and you can see the plastic tongue tabs, some '17 owners posted clearer pictures than mine.....it's pretty annoying, it's right in the line of sight from driver seat perspective....

confirmed '17 uses TPMS sensors on each wheels, so winter sets will need them too, or just go without and ignore dash TPMS light

'17 CX-5 lower lip fog area panel looks like it's easily removable, almost certain some aftermarket vendor will make a plug and play LED array housing there

wow, CX-3 headrests are like Euro spec type, very low profile to improve rear visibility, I think they will fit CX-5's.......
maybe a cheaper and easier route for CX-5 owners than getting from overseas

CX-3 contrasting armrest color, interesting .....

CX-3 comes with CD player and '17 CX-5 doesn't ? c'mon Mazda

CX-3 nice sporty dash layout, I hope future CX-5 gets the OEM paddle shifters....

SWEEEEEET RF.......

it'll be awesome if the CX-3 headrests will fit in my wife's CX-5, she's always complaining the rear headrests are blocking her view,

I'll go to our local mazda dealer and take a CX-3 rear headrest and see if it'll fit, thx for heads up

Pretty sure a member here confirmed the CX3 headrests will not fit a CX5.... hence the reason/need to import them from Japan.

just some observations while I was at the dealer.....

wow, CX-3 headrests are like Euro spec type, very low profile to improve rear visibility, I think they will fit CX-5's.......
maybe a cheaper and easier route for CX-5 owners than getting from overseas

Pretty sure a member here confirmed the CX3 headrests will not fit a CX5.... hence the reason/need to import them from Japan.

Correct. This is how our version of the headrests look like:

image.jpg

As you can see, looks different to the CX-3's

confirmed the Mazda3 headrests fits the 2016 and previous CX-5's, look how much more rear visibility is improved

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123812911-How-To-Acquire-Non-US-Spec-Head-Restraints-for-a-US-spec-CX-5/page27

this is how they look in the 2016 and previous CX-5's

if i'm not mistaken, I believe Yrwei52 took his Japan headrests to dealer and confirmed they still fit the 2017 CX-5's which means the Mazda3 headrests that can easily be brought in the US can fit the 2017's....... just a suggestion.....

Last edited:
I had a CX3 loaner when I was getting the CX5 serviced. Car felt claustrophobic and cheaply made. Biggest complaint, who puts cup holders under the center armrest!

Sucks about the tire pressure monitor sensors, always liked the old system Mazda used. It's cheaper for an extra set of wheels for winter tires. They gotta be a few hundred bucks a piece at least.

Sucks about the tire pressure monitor sensors, always liked the old system Mazda used. It's cheaper for an extra set of wheels for winter tires. They gotta be a few hundred bucks a piece at least.
Glad we don't have them here

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

confirmed the Mazda3 headrests fits the 2016 and previous CX-5's, look how much more rear visibility is improved

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123812911-How-To-Acquire-Non-US-Spec-Head-Restraints-for-a-US-spec-CX-5/page27

this is how they look in the 2016 and previous CX-5's

if i'm not mistaken, I believe Yrwei52 took his Japan headrests to dealer and confirmed they still fit the 2017 CX-5's which means the Mazda3 headrests that can easily be brought in the US can fit the 2017's....... just a suggestion.....
What's the cheapest place to get these headrests? I was actually wondering if the Mazda6 headrest would fit, since I liked it better than the headrest on our CX-5. This is the info I was looking for.

random ramblings: '17 dash gap, CX-3 headrest, '17 RF

What's the cheapest place to get these headrests? I was actually wondering if the Mazda6 headrest would fit, since I liked it better than the headrest on our CX-5. This is the info I was looking for.
Mazda6's rear headrest won't fit 2027 CX-5. Mazda'3 will fit but not perfectly as you can see the gap. CX-3's will fit too but I think the headrest looks ugly. 1st-gen CX-5's will fit perfectly but the color of the stitching doesn't match.

Mazda6's rear headrest won't fit 2027 CX-5. Mazda'3 will fit but not perfectly as you can see the gap. CX-3's will fit too but I think the headrest looks ugly. 1st-gen CX-5's will fit perfectly but the color of the stitching doesn't match.
When you say it won't fit, do you mean it won't look flush? Or do you mean you cannot insert it into the rear seats because the two metal "prongs" don't fit?

Damn, that RF does look good! I wonder how much $$ it would be to make it fast. Does anyone sell a turbo or SC kit for it yet that is proven and reliable and DD'able and just bolts right on?

Damn, that RF does look good! I wonder how much $$ it would be to make it fast. Does anyone sell a turbo or SC kit for it yet that is proven and reliable and DD'able and just bolts right on?
I think you're better off getting a FRS/BRZ instead. You'll have more options as far as slapping on a supercharger/turbo. That said, if I'm not mistaken, BBR just released a turbo kit for the ND Miata. It is supposedly a bolt-on kit with included tunes.

The heavier RF model does in in 6.4.

The soft top Miata does 0-60 in 5.8 using the 2.0 155hp skyactiv engine. No need to turbo the soft top Miata Imho. If anything I'd tune it and get a big brake kit.....or turbo it and get down to the low 5's I guess:)

Despite being down by 90 hp or so the new Miata stock is as fast to 60 as the 2000 s2000.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/mazda/miata/2017/2017-mazda-mx-5-miata-rf-first-test-review/
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/honda/s2000/2000/honda-s2000-3/

The turbo in the miata can be done for ~5-7K. Brings it up to 250HP and so. Having driven both the automatic and manual Miata, I would say the automatic could use it. But honestly, if you are getting an automatic, it might be better to get a Mustang instead.

Latest posts

Back