Questions about my 2021 Signature's auto braking and climate system

First I know my car has auto rear braking as I found out today when I came close to backing into a truck when I was coming out of a tight space.
I came home and decided to test out how close it will let you get with a large box, and it only braked a few times, and actually hit the box while braking.
Going forward did not brake at all.
On the climate system, I usually have it off and use outside air if I can, but I've noticed that if you want some cool air on a cool day, you have to turn on the system and turn down the temp.
It doesn't just let outside temp come through the vents.
Oh, this is a US model.

From the manual:

"The SCBS R is a system which is designed to reduce damage in the event of a collision by operating the brake control (SCBS brake) when the system’s ultrasonic sensors detect an obstruction at the rear of the vehicle while driving at a speed of about 2 to 8 km/h (2 to 4 mph) and the system determines that a collision is unavoidable"

On the climate system, I usually have it off and use outside air if I can, but I've noticed that if you want some cool air on a cool day, you have to turn on the system and turn down the temp.
Oh, this is a US model.
You can always turn the fan on and turn the AC off. That will use outside air to cool the cabin (assuming it’s cold outside).

First I know my car has auto rear braking as I found out today when I came close to backing into a truck when I was coming out of a tight space.
I came home and decided to test out how close it will let you get with a large box, and it only braked a few times, and actually hit the box while braking.
As quoted by dunhillmc above.

Going forward did not brake at all.
SCBS can only detect metal object, or human beings with newer “pedestrian detection” capability. Many had tested the SCBS before, paper box simply won’t work.

Oh, this is a US model.
Yes, you have to turn on the Automatic Climate system to let decent outside air in. Switch off the “Auto” mode, turn off the “AC”, turn down the temp control to the lowest (60°F), and set the fan speed to one bar. Then you can choose the outside air without the AC for the comfort and saving the energy during the spring and fall.

Allegedly, there’s only ever been one US model that had functioning automatic climate control and I rented it a couple of years ago. The clue is in the name and I personally would leave the automatic climate control which can sense humidity and will cool the interior even on cooler days. Just leave it on auto and lower the temperature setting.

Most newer CX-5s have both a radar module in the front emblem and a camera system in the windshield. Here is a test of the system.

Back