Question about documentation fees

Allen K

:
2010 Mazda CX-9 Touring AWD
Hey guys,

Sorry to bug you with all the financial questions, but I'm wondering what the average documentation fee is these days. When I bought a car back in '99, it was $40. On my last car back in '07 was $55. Mazda dealer charged $123 and I'm wondering if it just depends on the dealership and whether it's within the average.

Thanks!

My sense is doc fees are all over the map, depending on dealership and what is included in the fee. When we bought our CX9 a month ago, the dealership's doc fee was $499 and included the first 4 oil changes and maintenance services. I was able to negotiate the fee down to $250, however it was left at $499 on the paperwork and the sales price of the vehicle was reduced by the appropriate amount, as the Sales Manager insisted that $499 was not negotiable.

In Illinois it is capped at $150 by state law. It's probably negotiable in the price of the car, but like the poster above, I'm sure they will show it as $150 on the paperwork. The dealer we bought ours from said they had to charge it, as if implying it was state law to charge it. Whether that's true, I don't know because I felt I got a good enough deal on the car I wasn't going to argue over it.

Yeah all of the fees are negotiable. I would negotiate your "out the door" price to include all taxes and fees. Don't worry about the line items, just worry about your total price. Then shop that price to other dealers via email. Then you'll know if you're getting good deal or not.

Thanks... already bought the car and doc fee was $123. It's a little higher than what I think they could charge, but it's quite a bit below average. We bought the car for $550 under invoice after rebate, so I thought it was a reasonable deal overall.

"doc fee" is essential what the dealer charge for preparing doc to file for title and send someone over there to the DMV (for multiple new owners, not just for you).
It is reasonable around $100, I guess.
It is certainly negotiable.
Talking about out-of-the-door price certainly makes everything simple.

Latest posts

Back