Q-1 Compact SUV sales figures

Regarding Q1 sales, both the 2017 CX-5 and CRV starting showing up in the USA at the very end of Q1, and weren't available in any substantial numbers until early/mid April. Buyers of these two cars would probably have waited for a 2017 since both underwent substantial changes. Plus the same availability issues have caused a lag in consumer reviews for the new models (especially the CX-5 which came out a little later than the Honda). Consumer reports for example is preparing to release their CX-5 review next issue. A lot of people put stock in online and/or print reviews and won't buy until they read them.

I don't think either of these new models with hit their sales stride until Q3. I don't think the Rogue will be able to hold on to its #1 position long.

Last edited:
If Mazda dealers can just get potential customers to test drive they will sell more. Re: their advertising, it was actually the CX-9 commercials that got me thinking about Mazda again. The car looked fantastic but was bigger than we wanted.

We have owned Lexuses, Infinitis and Audis, and all we knew is that we wanted something compact with more utility when our G37 lease was up. We considered everything... QX30, QX60, Q5, NX, RDX, A5 Sportback... because they were premium brands and (for the most part) looked the part. We didn't even consider Rogue, Rav-4 or CR-X. Mazda punched way above their weight with the CX-5, sweated the details, and made it look and feel premium. That hooked us.

So, yes, for those that aren't brand snobs Mazda can absolutely convert premium buyers who do a little research. They have already announced that they plan to upgrade their dealerships. That should be a big help as well.

I agree, if they can get folks to just test drive and compare, they can sell more. Everyone that has sat in ours and thoroughly looked it over has really been impressed, and even admitted that they had no idea about it really and never would've thought to consider it.

Regarding Q1 sales, both the 2017 CX-5 and CRV starting showing up in the USA at the very end of Q1, and weren't available in any substantial numbers until early/mid April. Buyers of these two cars would probably have waited for a 2017 since both underwent substantial changes. Plus the same availability issues have caused a lag in consumer reviews for the new models (especially the CX-5 which came out a little later than the Honda). Consumer reports for example is preparing to release their CX-5 review next issue. A lot of people put stock in online and/or print reviews and won't buy until they read them.

I don't think either of these new models with hit their sales stride until Q3. I don't think the Rogue will be able to hold on to its #1 position long.

I've been getting/seeing 25% off MSRP feeds for Nissan on Facebook. Considering the stupidity of the American public I think their sales will be fine in the interim.

This market segment seems to attract practical buyers. They buy Honda or Toyota based on reputation and brand loyalty. They buy Nissan or Ford or Chevy for the discounts. Notice that the top three cars on the sales chart are also the ones with the most cargo space in the segment.

Why did the Crown Vic out-sell the Caprice and Impala?
Why did the Mustang bury the F-body in 2002?

Certainly neither of these "winners" offered ANYTHING over their competition in the way of acceleration, braking, handling, or even amenities.

There is more to successful sales than just paper numbers and "facts".

Also consider that most CUV buyers are older. This places them right in the age-group that remembers Nissan's SR20DE motors and how damn bulletproof they and their transmissions were, and how they had class-leading acceleration, etc. to boot, in their day, in the Sentra, G20, S180/240, etc.

My Father owns a carpet-cleaning business, and his carpet-cleaning machine is powered by a 4-cylinder Nissan engine, that runs at about 3200rpm, for about 6-12 hours a day, 5-6 days a week, year after year after year, and that damn thing DOES NOT BREAK DOWN. He is a Ford guy, but he is the first to sing the praises of that little bugger, as well as the GM Van which has about 440K miles on the original engine/transmission (minus I think a water pump and some belts?)

Last edited:
Nissan's SR20DE motors and how damn bulletproof they and their transmissions were

I've still got my '91 pathfinder VG30E V6 manual transmission with 27 years and 250K miles on it. Never replaced an engine or transmission part except oil filters, even has the original Clutch.

Latest posts

Back