PSA - Mazda looking for navigation SD cards?

Yep, totally agree. Dealers today have more important things to worry about than pissing off a customer over a sd card bought off ebay. The email shown by the OP borders on being a scam email just looking at the wording....."a copy of your receipt"., "name and address of seller........"report to appropriate marketplace"....really? If it was something that important, Mazda would be sending out an official letter on letterhead to customers. No way anyone should worry about this. BTW, NNG is a company based in Hungary......can't imagine having any control over what U.S. Mazda dealers do with their customer's sd cards.

Last edited:
Side bar. Sorry.
> traffic sign recognition system
I have it on my '17. I thought it is purely camera-based recognition.
Does it need info from map?
Case in point. Around my neighborhood there is a stop sign.
It recognizes it sometimes, but not all the times.
This leads me to believe that sign recognition is purely camera-based.

Maybe 2021 model has an improved system.
My 2017 has the Street sign recognition and the navigation and I find that even though it reads the road speed sign it reverts back to GPS road speed limit after a short distance when there is a mismatch between the two. Why is there a mismatch you may ask?. The winter road side speed limit signs are reduced by 10km/hour. The GPS goes by the summer speed limit. So the priority seems to be on the GPS limits.

Do you actually think that Mazda would instruct their dealers to remove a suspected pirated navigation card from a customer's vehicle when said vehicle was brought into the dealership for work? Can you imagine the stink that would be generated if a mistake was made and the card was not a pirated card? I seriously doubt that Mazda would take that chance.
Actually, this service alert from Mazda instructs their technicians to check for counterfeit cards and even to ask for proof of purchase if the VIN cannot otherwise be verified.

Attachments

• MC-10201864-0001.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 565
Actually, this service alert from Mazda instructs their technicians to check for counterfeit cards and even to ask for proof of purchase if the VIN cannot otherwise be verified.

Wow! I can only imagine what the conversation might be like if I took my car into the Mazda dealership for something and they demanded to see proof of purchase of my Nav card.

It's a good thing then that I do all of my own work...

I do have one more update available on the Nav card that I purchased from Amazon for my MX. Or should I say that I did have one more? I'll find out sometime in 2022 before the three years run out on the subscription.

Wow! I can only imagine what the conversation might be like if I took my car into the Mazda dealership for something and they demanded to see proof of purchase of my Nav card.

It's a good thing then that I do all of my own work...

I do have one more update available on the Nav card that I purchased from Amazon for my MX. Or should I say that I did have one more? I'll find out sometime in 2022 before the three years run out on the subscription.
There must be a cut off date that all previously purchased counterfeit cards are "grandfathered" in because I purchased a card on Amazon as well in 2019. I updated my map last week using Mazda Toolbox and it updated just fine, no lockout.

I don't think you guys read that Bulletin very closely.

It is for troubleshooting Mazda Connect IF A CUSTOMER BRINGS THE CAR IN BECAUSE OF A PROBLEM WITH MAZDA CONNECT. Not to just randomly check every car that comes in.
They are not doing that, and has been stated, they would be really dumb to do that.

So IF you have a problem with your infotainment and you take it in and you have an aftermarket card, then remove it. Otherwise, no need.

I don't think you guys read that Bulletin very closely.

It is for troubleshooting Mazda Connect IF A CUSTOMER BRINGS THE CAR IN BECAUSE OF A PROBLEM WITH MAZDA CONNECT. Not to just randomly check every car that comes in.
They are not doing that, and has been stated, they would be really dumb to do that.

So IF you have a problem with your infotainment and you take it in and you have an aftermarket card, then remove it. Otherwise, no need.
But just to be safe removing is the best.m and plus it is easy.

But still completely not needed. No tech is going above and beyond for Mazda to ... bust a customer.... for using an aftermarket card.

But still completely not needed. No tech is going above and beyond for Mazda to ... bust a customer.... for using an aftermarket card.
This is true but if there are any issues with the infotainment system you can be sure that, if the card is aftermarket, it will take the blame from Mazda. Even if the issue has nothing to do with the card.

Don't disagree with that.

"Bluetooth doesn't work anymore? Yea, that's that aftermarket card you're using. You need a new $1,000 system!" :D

Some customers have lost their 3-year factory warranty because unauthorized software was used, either for navigation or for HMI.
But take the chances you can afford

You mean the Mazda Tweak software, not the GPS card. Yea, my dealer knows I used the Tweaks. I don't even try to hide it with my Palm Tree background on the display. :D
I live on the edge!

Got a co-worker who has a '17 CX5 Touring. The GPS SD card failed to be read and the MID kept crashing while on the road. He purchased a SD card from Amazon. It works well for him. I suggested him to try the contact cleanup (DetoxIt). It did not work for him. $50 or $400, touch choice. He showed me the card, it looks genuine. (front label and all) How can we tell it is a counterfeit by appearance? Maybe it is a genuine one.

Last edited:
Some customers have lost their 3-year factory warranty because unauthorized software was used, either for navigation or for HMI.
But take the chances you can afford

Some customers? Like who exactly?

You know of someone who lost their 3-year factory warranty because of using an aftermarket SD card for navigation?

I call BS on this!

Got a co-worker who has a '17 CX5 Touring. The GPS SD card failed to be read and the MID kept crashing while on the road. He purchased a SD card from Amazon. It works well for him. I suggested him to try the contact cleanup (DetoxIt). It did not work for him. $50 or $400, touch choice. He showed me the card, it looks genuine. (front label and all) How can we tell it is a counterfeit by appearance? Maybe it is a genuine one.
as far as I know you cant tell by just looking at it. labels can be printed. only the sd card internal id is a sure tell but that cant be seen by the average joe and most certainly the dealer cant too by just looking at it.

Is anyone familiar with site gpsupdatestore.com? They have a 2022 update sd card that would fit my vehicle, a 2017 Mazda6 Sport, for $129.99. Amazon has a 2021 ("the latest") update card for $51.00, how much different could they be? I bought an SD card about 4 months ago from Wish.com for $30 and it's been working just fine, but it's not in color, it's mostly grey and white but the water shows up blue and the grassy areas green. My local Mazda dealership wants $400 for a card and I'm just not gonna do it. They should have provided me with a card when I bought the car 2 years ago right before Covid.

I can only tell you that the Amazon one looks genuine. Might have issues with map update down the road, but if you don't mind.

Back