protege5 rear disc's stuck on

pr5owner

Contributor
:
2001 Mazda Proteg5
i took the calipers off but i cant get the disc off, theres no screws holding these on right? you should be able just to pound them out?

There is a threaded hole in the center portion of the disc itself that you can run a bolt in to pop them off. Let me see if I can find the thread for you to reference.

Mine did the same thing. It's rusted to the hub. Use a rubber mallat and pound away. It may help to use anti seize or WD 40 to help work things loose.(use threaded hole tasty is speaking of.) Be sure to use brake cleaner to any effected parts before reassembling.

Mine did the same thing. It's rusted to the hub. Use a rubber mallat and pound away. It may help to use anti seize or WD 40 to help work things loose. Be sure to use brake cleaner to any effected parts before reassembling.

No pounding required. See the above reference.

wicked, thanks, now all i need to do is get a 8x1.25 bolt......... home depot?

after i get that crap off ill paint it good after i wirewheel the s*** out of the hub

yea mine did that too, luckily i found the right bolt the first time, just layin around my garage
its on there pretty tight, mine was at least

wicked, thanks, now all i need to do is get a 8x1.25 bolt......... home depot?

after i get that crap off ill paint it good after i wirewheel the s*** out of the hub

You should be able to get one at any hardware store.

Air chisel works nicely as well. Put on a flat bladed chisel end and just run in circular motions around the area where the rotor meets the hub. Failing that put on a blunt chisel and just hammer the rotor itself until the rust breaks free.

the 8x1.25 worked so good! makes the worst sound ever when it seperates the rust layers.

didnt take much effort at all, only 4-5 turns and its off.

now for more stealership ranting..........

i checked the lubricant on the sliding pins as my car has 130K on it and i did a FULL tune up at 120K (this includes relubricating the pins)

to make a long story short, only 1 facking caliper was relubricated, the other ones were near seized on. so WTF did my money go when i paid the dealer $800 for the tune up? i doubt they even changed my oil.

what a waste of my time, i had to relubricate all the pins myself.

the dealerships in calgary are all crap.

this is typical of any car. i run into this at the shop pretty much weekly on different car's, no biggie. use a hammer, and hit the back of the rotor. dont just hit one side, go from one side, to the other, they will come off.

but with the protege, your obviousely lucky enough as other's have pointed out, with the threaded hole. just take advantage of it!

You all in your logic! Forget the screw, get a mallet! Everytime she tries to come out and ask you how much time is left start hitting the rotor again.

I used to break my Honda on purpose so that I'd have to take alot of time to fix it. I even took on other project cars too...

Back