Protege5 Headlights help

the P5s have 2 housings, one for hi beams and one for low beams. whereas the reg protege has only one so they share the same hi/low beams. theres a thread or diagram somewhere that shows how you can splice together both of the p5 wires to to be able to run hi/low from one bulb..

Remember that the std Protege lights might best be considered inferior to the P5, due to the hi/low being shared in one housing. They use the H4 bulbs, where 1/2 the light is largely lost in the internal bulb reflector. The high beams are also weak - you can't really run the hi and lo together, like a P5 does, or the H4 will quickly burn out.

SO,,,, the question is how HID conversions work in the H4 lamp. I'm getting ready to do this on a 2000 Protege myself. 2 issues there. One is you definitely want a bulb shield on the bottom to keep the huge amount of glare down that you would otherwise get. It's like the reflector in the H4 bulb. The other issue is the high beams. I'm still working on this. They sell tacked-on little halogen bulbs on some (without the shields on the lo tho) that I'm trying to retrofit.

Or you could go for full out projectors. I'm wanting to hear from others running H4 HID conversions in standard stock housings tho.

Latest posts

Back