Protege5: Harder, not Smarter!

In the 3's (and other mazdas/fords) when you have the vehicle in gear and let your foot off the gas (decelerating) - I believe it shuts the injectors down to just enough to barely keep the engine running. This provides engine braking and fuel savings when coming to a stop. It doesn't do this when it's in neutral though, as the car would die due to no load.

If you look at the ECU - it has a line-in for brake input (my FS did, my KL does). I believe this is what triggers that function.

There is an alternative 5th gear with lower rpm. I think it was from a 626 or probe but only dropped the rpms by around 300. You don't have to open the trans, I think maybe some people did it without even pulling the transmission.

This is all from memory from years ago so I may be a little off.

There is an alternative 5th gear with lower rpm. I think it was from a 626 or probe but only dropped the rpms by around 300. You don't have to open the trans, I think maybe some people did it without even pulling the transmission.

This is all from memory from years ago so I may be a little off.

Ah now that you mention it, I've read on the ecomodder forums about people doing this to their protege's. Yea its 5th out of a 626.

If I'm not mistaken, the 323/Familia was available with a diesel in Europe and had an even higher 5th gear. I'd like to do it, but sourcing one may be a pain.

Wow, cool thread. Just read through the whole thing. Very cool that you managed to mold your own FG hatch. Im going to be making full fb aero front fenders here soon, so Im going to be trying my hand at fiberglassing as well. Also planning on making a vented hood, and fiberglass front bumper to match the fenders. The front bumper is amazingly heavy for what it is.

You should look into alum. tubing to replace the crash bars. Would save a lot of weight

If I'm not mistaken, the 323/Familia was available with a diesel in Europe and had an even higher 5th gear. I'd like to do it, but sourcing one may be a pain.

Correct, it had the RF diesel. I'm pretty sure that all of the gear ratios are probably different due to the fact that the diesel will only spin to about 5,000 rpm max. It may even be a different transmission completely to handle the additional torque.

The diesel 5th gear is a direct replacement for the G series over here. It has a gear ratio of .6x (not sure the exact number) but it is def the lowest ratio of all the stock gears that swap over into our transmissions

While Oogling at pictures of Ducati's today I couldnt help but be drawn to....wait...is that....oh my...it is...

CarbonFiber Exhaust Tip.

I smell my next project, I still have a few yards of carbon left to play with.

The diesel 5th gear is a direct replacement for the G series over here. It has a gear ratio of .6x (not sure the exact number) but it is def the lowest ratio of all the stock gears that swap over into our transmissions

Good luck trying to find one unless you order from a dealer in the EU and have them ship it.

A white paper from 1994 eh? An interesting concept for sure. From a heat perspective, a great idea.

I like the fact that it cost them $2000 to manufacture 1 piston in 1990 using their first method. Not exactly a very cost effective solution.

Tamn - figured I'd show why I've been asking you so many questions.

image.jpeg

I went with 205/50 dunlop Direzza's though, because being in Florida brings a lot of nasty storms.

From this -

IMG_0025-1.jpg

Thanks for the quick answers!!!

Love my 29lb setup now instead of those 45lb boat anchors.

Hats off to you and thanks again!

Loud, I love it! I hope you like them as much as I do!

And yes, much better choice of rubber for wet conditions :)

SIDENOTE: I got my gopro3 black today! Time lapse videos of random fiberglass body panels? (lol2)

Back