Protege5: Harder, not Smarter!

I was thinking, carbon fiber (fabric if you will) isn't too expensive. The process your doing would make for some cool CF parts. You could lay this over your rear hatch and then clear/lacquer over it for a full CF hatch. Same for the hood and other parts

CF would be way too expensive to do. Cost vs fiberglass fabric alone would set him back. when doing CF there are more
Components. Not to mention that he would need to use Epoxy resin and gel coat. Epoxy resin isn't cheap at all.

CF would be way too expensive to do. Cost vs fiberglass fabric alone would set him back. when doing CF there are more
Components. Not to mention that he would need to use Epoxy resin and gel coat. Epoxy resin isn't cheap at all.

Yea....CF is obscenely expensive....not to mention I'm still learning...a mistake could be hundreds of dollars thrown away.
Maybe....in a very distant future...

I pay about...$2-3 per square yard for lighter fiberglass cloth...CF is something around 25-40 dollars per yard....YIKES!

Not to mention the epoxy resin...its like 3 times the cost if I remember correctly.

Anyways...finished fabbing up a set of brackets to mount to the stock hinges...cut off the stock bolts to fit correctly...cut out the lexan sheet...stared at the locking mechanism for a while before I decided to figure it out when the time comes. Had a friend who works in the finishing bay at an airline interior place come over and do some bondo sanding....PROOOOFESSSSIONALLL

Will have the hatch bolted up to the stock hinges tomorrow to test fitment at least.

Oh....and I sprayed down some foam under my hood...I'm gonna lay down a bracing layer of glass tomorrow too help stiffen it up a bit, I found that on really hot days it starts flexing more.

Ah ha...and while browins some boat building sites...I came across this

"...it involves taking a shower in the coldest water you can stand. This causes pores to contract, and prevents fiberglass from working into the skin."

I knew uber cold shower helped a tonnnnn, but didn't actually know why.

Last edited:

Foamed underside of hood.

How not to try and hold your piece down as you drill it

That's why we test in the corners first right?!?!?

Making threaded brackets to bolt into stock hinges.

hmm....still seem a bit long...

Bolts cut down to half length

Glassed over foam to give hood some more rigidity.

My friendly sanding slave at work.

Goes to show what I know lol

4 coats of plastidip on the hatch, stock lock, latches and license plate lights all installed. Badge holes drilled and ready. Cut and painted the outside of the lexan piece.

Only thing left to do is rivet the lexan on and tint the inside of it apply silicon sealant to all the inside holes around the latchs/lexan etc and then I got a bunch of adhesive backed high density foam to seal the edges since the stock rubber seal is WAAAAY far away now that the hatch is like 3 inches thinner than the stocker.

I weighed the hatch with all the hinges/lock/lights/license in @ 8 pounds. Lexan sheet is...one pound...and then whatever the 40 something rivets I'm putting in.

Total weight....safely say 10 pounds easy. Pictures coming tomorrow.

Seeing how it sits there...

I had a tricky time trying to figure out how to get the stock lock to work. I finally came upon the idea of glassing in these L shaped aluminum brackets. It worked perfectly.

Yup...1 rivet per inch....phewwwwww I pushed the badges into the holes I had drilled for them and superglued them on.

38 pounds of saved weight and some more fiberglass experience. Can't say its totally perfect, but it came out many times better than my first piece and I'm really excited to make my next one even better!

Look at you go!

Haha...yea...gotta decide what to do next...:p

I got a turbo rebuild kit coming so I can rebuild that while I ponder whats next lol

BTW...the adhesive foam strips I'm using I'm having a terrible time getting them to stick...anyone know some neat rubber to use?

I've used a can of spray adhesive before, it sucked. Wouldn't hold my CF glovebox cover on. I got 3M doublesided tape at Walmart, it's red and kicks all kinds of ass. It currently holds a mirror to my bathroom door

Mmmm...I'm gonna grab my paintbrush and dab all those rivets black...car looks too blingy lol

I've used a can of spray adhesive before, it sucked. Wouldn't hold my CF glovebox cover on. I got 3M doublesided tape at Walmart, it's red and kicks all kinds of ass. It currently holds a mirror to my bathroom door

Aha I'm using that stuff to hold my interior convex mirrors on the brackets I made! Crazy strong I also used it on my competition pistol to hold my holo sights on for over a year. O.O

The test piece of lexan I tried that spray tint on...EWWWWW it turned so black after one coat I couldn't see through it, LOL

Last edited:
Whew, I've read your buildthread from the beginning and I was so disappointed to reach the end so far. Keep it up! I just bought an 02 P5 with a man trans to replace my 95 Firebird with a 5.7l which got 15-18 tank averages. I plan on ecomodding/hypermiling it and winding through some fun roads and maybe auto-x, so it seems like we have similar goals.

Subbed.

Back