Protege OEM 6-disc radio question

:
'90 MX-5, '00 328i
So.... driving home tonight.... listening to a CD. All of a sudden the audio flickers like the CD was skipping and then goes out completely. Switch over to radio. Stereo is still powered on, but no sound here as well from either front or rear speakers.

I have an Infinity amp under the seats that powers front Infinity components. It's still powered on so this can't be the problem. (Plus the rear speakers are powered from the factory unit.)

So, do you think that all audio out from my factory stereo is toast.... or could there be one single wire that worked its way out that made all four (actually six including the tweeters) speakers go out?

Sucks because I think I have a buyer for my car in a couple days and now I will have to drop the price unless you guys can help me diagnose the problem.

Thanks

It could be that it is toast. If you have Hi/lo converters for the fronts it could be that, but it's really hard to say without look at it.. Did you do the install yourself or had someone do it? If someone did it for you, see if they can take a quick look at it to see if nothing came loose.

If you REALLY want a quick fix though, just buy a used one from ebay. This one is $40 'Buy Now' +$16 shipping.

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Yeah, I had someone install it for me. I remember what an ordeal it was to pull the stock stereo just to install the tape deck and I just gave up.

Hopefully I can show one of the eBay links to the buyer and only lose 100 off my selling price.

Back