Protege AC control

Birdman_7

:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege
Hello, my wife has an 03 protege (and I USED to have an 03 msp ;P) and her AC is acting weird. On fan setting 1 with the AC on, it works perfect (just got it recharged so it's nice and cold). On setting 4 it works perfect too. Being my wife of course setting 1 is not cold enough and 4 is too cold.. :) But both setting 2 and 3 have a tendency for the light on the AC button to flicker on and off. I can wiggle the knob and seem to get it to stay on, but if I am going over 45, it will flicker regardless of how much I wiggle it. Sometimes the light will stay off for quite a while which is when I can tell that the AC is not functioning anymore. As soon as the light comes back on, the air gets cold again.

I took it to a mechanic who said it was the whole control unit that needed to be replaced and it would cost around 400 bucks installed. He said even if we found one at a junkyard, it would still be about 200 for the part and prolly about 100 to install it. His recommendation was to pretty much just deal with it.

It almost seems as though it's just a loose connection in the device itself. Is this something I can take apart myself and fix?

Many thanks
Craig

common problem. do a search for it and there is a "how to" guide to repair it. mine is doing the same, 1 and 4, but I like the 4th setting ;)

Thank you for the quick reply, I have been looking at the guides and will be attempting to fix the problem tonight maybe

Back