Protege 5 or Mazda 3 Hatchback?

Personally, I prefer the look of the P5 to the 3. Don't get me wrong, I think the 3 is a very good looking car, but I prefer the back-side windows on the P5 over the upswept looking ones on the 3. Not a huge fan of the 3 grill, either. Ever since the P5 came out I told myself that I would seriously consider getting one when it came time to retire my 3rd Civic in a row. The handling is phenominal, the stock engine is so much more lusty than any of the Civics I drove and the 5-door hatch offers all the functionality that I need to haul all of my soccer gear around as a coach. My Civics got better mileage, but I just can't help but drive my P5 harder than I ever could drive my Civics.

I have a proteg Speed. Last week I tried the Mazda 3 GT sport, luxury pkg. I loved it!! Not as "raw" (or direct) as the MSP, smoother but great feeling. I may get one :)

I was looking for a 3 when we ended up geting the P5. It cost less anddid what we needed. After leather and mods it's been great. The time came for my wife to get another car and after looking all around, she/we decided on a loaded Mz3 GT hatch loaded, 2006. I really like it. Way more power than the P5, interior is nice, more room, lots of bells and whistles. Stereo is good enough for her so I'm upgrading the P5 which I now drive all the time.

Mz3 handles great out of the box, just like the P5 but a bit heavier. With this loaded version it has all the airbags traction abs etc so she's nice and safe.

I'd take a stripped down 2.3 Mz3 any day and mod it because of the torque/power.

Honestly, I do like the exterior of the P5 better, it's more in my generation, but I like the 3 hatch too.

The only thing I'd like to do with the 3 is Eibach springs and wheels. then leave it alone for her.
(thumb)

I would do what you want... they are both amazing... i had a contract in hand this sept for a trade in...I COULD NOT SELL MY P5.... i bought it last sept in full and have the money for the 3 but the P5 is just way more fun to drive, tune, and modify... so thats my 2 cents...

I was in the same boat spent the whole summer looking at 3's and P5's. As the other guys have mentioned, M3 has more power etc... also it has some degree of Volvo/Ford design and I'm sure it handles nice with those 17" wheels. BUT what really took me back to the P5 was the fact that the older models 2004-2006 had the break-in problems because of bad lock design (don't know about your area but Vancouver and Calgary were pretty bad). I won't go into detail, you may already be aware of this but check the M3 forums about this for more detail. Theres been fixes to existing locks and I think they fixed it in the new models from factory although I read that theres a class action lawsuit trying to start. And whos to stop thieves from trying to break into the new ones?

If i wasnt such cheap skate I'd get a MS3, but I'd take a P5 over a regualr 3 hatch anyday...

Here's my thoughts.
You delivery pizza for a living. I figure it's a safe bet you're not making 6 figures doing it.

Save your money. Enjoy the car you have now. Just having a car payment is such a HUGE waste of $$. To get that M3 you'll just be farther in debt, and you're clearly happy with your car now.
You really think you want to upgrade? Try this. Figure how much extra $$ it would cost you to swap it in, say per month. Maybe $100? Who knows.
Now if you think you can swing that financially - starting tomorrow, take that $100 and put it in the bank. Do thsi every week/month until either (A) the p5 i paid off or (B) you have a bunch set aside and you just can't wait anymore.
Get that interest working FOR you, and use the new car as an incentive.

Here's my thoughts.
You delivery pizza for a living. I figure it's a safe bet you're not making 6 figures doing it.
(B) you have a bunch set aside and you just can't wait anymore.

Your right it's not 6 figures but I am making good money(jerkit) ps I am a girl and for some reason I get better money than the guys. I think it's because I drive a Mazda : ) hahaha (loser)
And as for your option B, I CAN'T WAIT ANYMORE NOWWWWW!!!!!!!(boom06)

I would do what you want... they are both amazing... i had a contract in hand this sept for a trade in...I COULD NOT SELL MY P5.... i bought it last sept in full and have the money for the 3 but the P5 is just way more fun to drive, tune, and modify... so thats my 2 cents...

When I was at the dealership looking at trading in p5 for a 3, the manager wanted to drive my car to make sure nothing was wrong with it. I almost started crying. I begged him to be careful with her. I mean begggggggg.
That made up my mind to keep her for then. I am atleast going to double my payments and sometimes triple it, to get it paid off before August 2008, so I'll have a Mazda 3 Hatch by my birthday or so. : )
You guys are amazing with the information and the help.
JoshP5 where did you get the info about the 2.5 mazda??

Nice but doesnt mean more tips

HEhE yeah me and my friend both deliver in p5's for pizza hut here in nashville TN. She hasnt got me extra tips I dont believe(she could be a little better on gas too by the way,hehe i had to say it) but i bet ive had 30 peeps say "man what kinda car is that its sharp". Mine is 02 and friends is 03 Ive been delivering in mine for 2 years now and it still runs great. Raced many peeps from the lights and surprised many a civic and old worn down accords well at least from 0-50 hehehe(0-50 is all i care about anyway if i beat ya to 50 im already getting out of it anyway). I made one kid so mad after 3 lights he hureled his razor phone at me hehehe.didnt damage my car but I must admit it surprised the hell outta me,but thats a long story anyways. I love my P5 and i dont know that theres another car made in a resonable price range that looks as sharp stock as a p5 does. I have a pretty descent system with nav in mine so people will know when there pizza is about to arrive,At least the assholes that dont tip if ya know what i mean! and if you really work for pizza slut you do!Dont f$%k with the pizza mans money you may get trash in your yard or something worse hehehe.

I'd give a $100 tip if you delivered a piping hot pepperoni pizza to me in you Protege5. and $50 bucks for the pizza.

I'd give a $100 tip if you delivered a piping hot pepperoni pizza to me in your Protege5. and $50 bucks for the pizza.

If you weren't in AK then I'd deliver to you EVERYDAY!!!

I guess sometime it's just the area. I make killer most nights.
I work in an area that isn't poor but isn't rich. The down to earth people that tip most the time. (minus the 4% a month that don't tip)
When people don't tip I ALWAYS hope they order a 2 liter pepsi so I CAN SHAKE IT THE WHOOOLLLEEE WAY TO THEIR HOUSE. M*THRF*CKRS THAT DON'T TIP.(fuoops)(eekfu)(jerkit)(loser)
Sorry they just make me ANGRY. I don't say thank you. I just walk away when they don't tip. f*ckrs.
I could go on and on about pizza hut and stupidy. Me and my boyfriend work there and right before we go to bed each night I talk about stupid people.
Pan tossed, Or when they don't tip they'll say "I'll getcha next time" (This one guy has said that to him TEN times!!!)
I am so sorry guys. lol Anger management for Pizza Hut workers.

Oh I wasnt saying I dont make good money.We live in an area with like 25 hotels so its pretty good here. Seriously though to all the stiffing bitches out there ,you pay one way or another and wheather you and your family like it or not. And you better not leave the tip line blank or you might get a right in vote.

In my book that's a no-no. I am NOT about to get chewed out by a customer. And I would be remembered because I'm the only girl. : / (hump)

My wife and I have only seen one girl pizza delivery... person...

It's hard not to stare or say something about it, they (I mean females doing your job) are so rare. So, if I were you, I'd be afraid of people remembering the "female driver"

Back