Protege 2002 LX alternator

I have 2002 protege LX. I got the battery sign while on road. Traveled about 200 miles and park in Garage. Battery voltage were about 12.5V. Raising speed boost up to 13.3 but not 14.5V. Suspect alternator. So brought one rebuilt alternator from advance auto part with new Dyco belts. Gave to my Mechanic and he replaced it. Old one had bad bearing.
When he started car the alternator voltage went up close to 17V!! Now we do not know why? Is this car has internal regulator? Or Computer controlled i.e. ECU? Mechanic just turned off to prevent more damage because of the 17V.
May be bad rebuilt alternator? or regulator (if internal) or ECU? Or bad connector to ECU? I learned some one had the similar problem but did not show how did he/she fixed! http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...r-Overcharging
I am completely confused and do not know why it is 17V in place of the 14.5V?
Is 2002 protege alternator is internal PCM or ECU controlled?
Please need your help.

Same thing happened to me, bout it was on my 97 tiburon. I installed reman alternator, days later i noticed bare metal spots all over the left side of engine bay. Turned out the battery was spitting out the acid from the breather tube, the alternator was over chargeing the battery and had to warranty it

Back