Prepping for brake overhaul

:
2009 Mazda Mx5 Touring, Sport Suspension, Spoiler +mods
2010 Mazda5, ordered up Centric blanks from Amazon, Wearever Platinum pads from Advance Auto Parts, ATE Superblue and AGS Sil-glyde for the sliders. I picked up a vacuum pump and brake job tool kit from Harbor Freight. Looking forward to the full flush and replacement.

Sounds like you're prepared!

Where did you get the Superblue? I thought I heard that NHTSA was creating regulations to define the color of various fluids, and blue brake fluid would be no more in the USA. I was sad to hear that since I like to swap between Superblue and Typ2000 for easy visuals when flushing brakes.

I heard the same thing about super blue. I actually have an unopened bottle im saving for that reason. I'm waiting till i get my Porsche GT3 to use it :-/. So yeah, where'd ya get it?

Maybe a lil late, but I recommend getting the motive power bleeder. Makes a brake fluid flush a fool proof one man job. I gotta wonder though, and i hate being THAT guy, but it seems odd to get blanks with so so pads and then run bad ass brake fluid. I mean, you've got a very high boiling point but the rest of the setup isnt really geared towards the aggressive driving it would take to realize the benifits of ATE. In the end im just trying to convince you to sell me the fluid ;)

Well, this is the wife's daily driver. It sees 100mi a day driving in from Central MA to Boston and back. She has 67k on the stock parts. The rotors look to still be in good shape but I figure if I'm in there, I might as well swap the rotors. No pulse, no uneven wear and no deep grooves. I came close to picking up slotted rotors for the exit ramps but I couldn't justify the added expense. Between coupon codes and a gift card, I paid $40 for the pads and they rated well enough. We'll probably put another 50-60k on the car before we consider trading in on something new.

As for the fluid, it's still available through ebay for motorsports use, https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned). Selfishly, I figured I would also run a flush in the MX5.

Last edited:
Front pads and rotors on, sliders greased. Another tip for the pesky front rotors (for those of us battling the effects of salt water, heat and cold on metal), spray the hub/rotor from behind in addition to the holes for the studs and hub center in the front. I used Liquid Wrench penetrating oil. With a few hits from the BFH, they popped of rather quickly. When the rotors did come off, you could see the penetration along the outside edge of the hub and the inside of the rotor.

Back