Powerstop Drilled and Slotted Rotors Pros/Cons?

Don't get drilled. Slotted would be ok, but for me personally, I just go for regular rotors. To me it would make sense that you'd want more, not less material/surface area for braking, but I admit, I'm not that familiar with the science behind different rotor designs. But I really have not heard anything good about drilled. If anything that probably compromises the structural integrity of the rotor as it ages.

Raysbestos R-Line Front Ceramic Pads & Rotors = $96
Raysbestos

Dynamic Front Ceramic Pads & Rotors = $126
Dynamic Friction

Powerstop Front Ceramic PAds & Rotors = $116
Powerstop

Looks like the Raysbestos has the best deal. I really don't see the quality improvement in the Dynamic Friction for the added $30.

Anyone else having problems getting F/R rotors and pads (Powerstop w/geomet coating, non-drilled/slotted) ?
I had put some in RkAuto cart on Mon to order today, ... removed (front ones no longer stock).
And prices elsewhere are crazy.. like double RA's.

Anyone else having problems getting F/R rotors and pads (Powerstop w/geomet coating, non-drilled/slotted) ?
I had put some in RkAuto cart on Mon to order today, ... removed (front ones no longer stock).

I just ordered the FRONT rotors and pads from RockAuto for $100 plus shipping. I got the Raysbestos R-Line Ceramic kit.

I haven't shopped for since a couple years ago, but just want to give an endorsement to the geomet coated blanks. They have held up great and look way better than the stock rotors.

I got my rotors and Powerstop Z23 (I think) from Rock Auto who had the best price.

Brake fluid is DOT 3 for my 2017.

Can the master cylinder brake fluid be removed with a suction device? Looking to replacing the fluid in the master cylinder.

Can the master cylinder brake fluid be removed with a suction device? Looking to replacing the fluid in the master cylinder.

In thoeory yes, in practice it's more difficult. First there is a filter screen clipped in at the top that's difficult to remove, second there is a long narrow neck from the cap down to the reservoir, so you need a suction device with a longish tube (a turkey baster won't work) and then even a tube will be difficult to manipulate into the nooks and crannys of the bottom of the reservoir.

I replaced the rotors and pads with the Raysbestos ceramic. The rotors had 51k miles on them and the pads were still decent but I had pulsation during braking and rotor surface had some wear.

I saved the OEM rotors and will maybe cut them one day but hard to find shops that turn/cut rotors anymore.

Rotor.jpg

Rotor2.jpg

NAPA still cuts rotors

Out here where I live, they do not. I just called NAPA and they confirmed they do NOT cut rotors.

Looks like O'Reilly does cut them where I live for $25 but they don't do any crosshatch pattern finishes to help with pad break-in and mating.

The new Raysbestos rotors cost $40 per rotor so the $15 savings to have them cut is not that great for the hassle and one is still left with the concern if they are not cut correctly and the pads mating.

Last edited:
Out here where I live, they do not. I just called NAPA and they confirmed they do NOT cut rotors.

Looks like O'Reilly does cut them where I live for $25 but they don't do any crosshatch pattern finishes to help with pad break-in and mating.

The new Raysbestos rotors cost $40 per rotor so the $15 savings to have them cut is not that great for the hassle and one is still left with the concern if they are not cut correctly and the pads mating.
Wow. My NAPA still turns em.
Hope they don't phase that out soon.

Just received my set (F/R) of Raybestos rotors/pads from RockAuto. Once its warms up in my garage, I'll spend a Saturday replacing the OEM originals. One note on the set from RA: the shipping was not free, but $53. Still, I save 3x that over other brand/merchants. That said, it arrived within 2 days of order confirmation. Got email it was shipping and THAT DAY, two boxes on my porch when I got home (one box had front rotors and both sets of pads, other box had rear rotors). Now, to go get some brakekleen...(neighbor used my last can...sigh).

Back