Possibly a paddle shift swap into Gen 2 CX-5

:
2017 Mazda CX-5 GT
Hey guys, I know there's a JDM kit that can be swapped into the 2017+ CX-5, but it is an expensive upgrade at $200.
I've recently discovered that a the 2018+ CX-3 GS (mid-range model here in Canada) comes with factory paddle shifters and the steering wheel is identical and is also heated.
I found that the rear cover and lower trim of the steering wheels with heat on both CX-5 and CX-3 share the same part numbers.
Rear Cover B63C-32-049-02
Lower Trim B63E-32-983-02
This leads me to believe that the CX-3 steering rear cover w/ paddle shift should fit.
Rear Cover
B64E-32-049-02
2018-19, W/SHIFT PADDLE
Shift Paddle
D09H-66-3P0
2018-19
Anyone have input?

...a question: Why do you want paddle shifters? The response time between shifts is slow enough so that most of any driving enjoyment is just not there. I've driven a McLaren, Ferrari, and BMW that had lighting fast shifts when using the paddles but my 3 is not in the same league so I rarely use the paddles.

Are the wires and connectors present in the CX5's column harness to accomplish the functionality? As in plug-n-play? I kinda doubt it, unless gen 2 CX5's are equipped with paddles in an upscale model. Even if those are equipped, it's no guarantee all harnesses are identical. If plug-n-play, at $200 I'm in. My 2010 Kizashi GTS has factory paddles, and they're the ticket for enjoying a spirited romp...for those that actually enjoy the act of driving that is. Gives the CVT an instant shift mimicking 6 speeds.

...a question: Why do you want paddle shifters? The response time between shifts is slow enough so that most of any driving enjoyment is just not there. I've driven a McLaren, Ferrari, and BMW that had lighting fast shifts when using the paddles but my 3 is not in the same league so I rarely use the paddles.
I had paddle shifters in my Mazda 3 and I've gotten accustomed to downshifting to slow down as you would in a stick shift. On downhills to engine brake so I don't have to ride the brakes as much. I rarely used it to upshift. It's really just personal preference. I really do miss it.
I think think what most people who haven't tried a Mazda with paddle shifters don't realize is that there's no need to shift the gear shifter into Manual mode. You can just flick the paddle shift down a gear to engine brake for instance and after you start to cruise again, the system will automatically revert back into Drive. This is what I loved the most about it.

Last edited:
Are the wires and connectors present in the CX5's column harness to accomplish the functionality? As in plug-n-play? I kinda doubt it, unless gen 2 CX5's are equipped with paddles in an upscale model. Even if those are equipped, it's no guarantee all harnesses are identical. If plug-n-play, at $200 I'm in. My 2010 Kizashi GTS has factory paddles, and they're the ticket for enjoying a spirited romp...for those that actually enjoy the act of driving that is. Gives the CVT an instant shift mimicking 6 speeds.
I believe GT models may be pre-wired.
I'm referencing this thread: https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/index.php?threads/2017-paddle-shifters.123860672/

Yup that pretty much spoiled it for you lol!

I tried paddle shifters on Mazda6 test drive...I wish I had it in my Mazda6 :(. I may use it 5% of actual driving time but its cool to use with both hands on steering wheel during empty back road driving 5 am in the morning.

Someone in the above thread posted the paddles are fixed and not wheel mounted. That would be a no-go for me then, I'd pass. I routinely utilize them while driving the Kazashi. Engine braking made simple, even during routine boring DDing.
They are mounted the the backside of the steering wheel. So they turn with the wheel. That guy has no clue what he's talking about. The only complaint is that they are quite small, but it's easy to extend them by attaching aftermarket handles.

Last edited:
I had paddle shifters in my Mazda 3 and I've gotten accustomed to downshifting to slow down as you would in a stick shift. On downhills to engine brake so I don't have to ride the brakes as much. I rarely used it to upshift. It's really just personal preference. I really do miss it.
I think think what most people who haven't tried a Mazda with paddle shifters don't realize is that there's no need to shift the gear shifter into Manual mode. You can just flick the paddle shift down a gear to engine brake for instance and after you start to cruise again, the system will automatically revert back into Drive. This is what I loved the most about it.

Precicesly how the Kizashi operates. Truly a wonderfully integrated feature. When driving the CX5, I really miss the paddles for all of your reasons cited above. The Kizashi's CVT is rather lack luster, smooth and nice for casual cruising, but the paddles (as well as manual stick operation) offer the ability to snap it to life in the up-shift department. The CX5 could use this feature no doubt.

Precicesly how the Kizashi operates. Truly a wonderfully integrated feature. When driving the CX5, I really miss the paddles for all of your reasons cited above. The Kizashi's CVT is rather lack luster, smooth and nice for casual cruising, but the paddles (as well as manual stick operation) offer the ability to snap it to life in the up-shift department. The CX5 could use this feature no doubt.
It's so odd to me that the CX-3 got paddles and the CX-5 didn't. Why does Mazda do these things?

It's so odd to me that the CX-3 got paddles and the CX-5 didn't. Why does Mazda do these things?
Mazda finally added paddle shifters to the 2020 CX-5 Grand Touring, the Reserve and the Signature. They are not an option on the lower trims, according to the Build & Price website.

I have a 2019 Reserve and run in Manual Mode all the time here in the country. When my warranty runs out, paddle shifters are high on my list of things to add.

Yes, 2020 GT has them now.
We all know that Mazda may be a bit slow to add features but it does add them.

fixed column-mounted paddles > wheel mounted

At least for aggressive driving that involves changes in direction
Nearly all of my vehicles have been manual shift, and the only paddle shifters I've ever used have been on low-end rental vehicles with work.

Your comment made me go do some reading. Man, this subject is as contentious as "beans or no beans," although the majority opinion seems to be "You shouldn't be shifting while in a turn, so wheel-mounted > column-mounted. Besides, you always have the stick available." It's about a 70/30 split.

A few years ago I got to drive an Audi R8 and Ferrari 458 back to back in Las Vegas (around a track). The Audi was a nice car but I still found myself irritated at the steering wheel paddles because I couldn’t always find them in turns. The 458 with fixed paddles was an absolutely joy and the first paddle shifted car I didn’t get frustrated with because the shifters were always in the same place (which is where my hands usually were, regardless of steering angle).

I guess it’s off topic since where the paddles are located has no relevance to the cx-5, but was just responding to the above comment that steering wheel paddles are better than fixed.

That being said, always prefer three pedals to paddles, no matter where they’re mounted

Nearly all of my vehicles have been manual shift, and the only paddle shifters I've ever used have been on low-end rental vehicles with work.

Your comment made me go do some reading. Man, this subject is as contentious as "beans or no beans," although the majority opinion seems to be "You shouldn't be shifting while in a turn, so wheel-mounted > column-mounted. Besides, you always have the stick available." It's about a 70/30 split.
In a race car with low ratio steering it makes sense to have column-mounted paddle shifters. But on our Mazda's that have a steering wheel that turns 1 and a half revolutions, it does not makes sense. lol. That is why they are steering mounted.

I downshift with mine all the time(freeway exit). Sometimes, it takes to long to downshift(when you want an instant acceleration) and then I can just flip it.
Kenstyle makes paddles for the 2nd gen as well? Those are the greatest(what I have).

That being said, always prefer three pedals to paddles, no matter where they’re mounted
True that.
I learned to drive on 3-on-a-tree.

My first new vehicle was an '89 S10 pickup. I couldn't believe I could not get a manual shift ! It's a truck!!!

I downshift with mine all the time(freeway exit). Sometimes, it takes to long to downshift(when you want an instant acceleration) and then I can just flip it.
Kenstyle makes paddles for the 2nd gen as well? Those are the greatest(what I have).
I live in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains in Virginia. As outsiders say, "Your roads are paved goat paths!!!" I drive in manual mode all the time.

I just looked at the Kenstyle site, and they have paddle shifters for CX-5s, but the descriptions say:
*For vehicles equipped with genuine paddle shifter.
*Can not be installed on vehicles not equipped with genuine paddle shifter.

I don't understand. The vehicles they list never came with paddle shifters.
I'll have to call them when I'm ready.

True that.
I learned to drive on 3-on-a-tree.

My first new vehicle was an '89 S10 pickup. I couldn't believe I could not get a manual shift ! It's a truck!!!

haha... 3-on the tree...those were fun! You're showing your age. I'd learned the art on an ancient chevy p/u. Manual steering, manual brakes and 3-on-the-tree. Years later I owned a 66 Malibu/Chevelle that had it. Sooo much slop in those linkages by the time I'd operated either of them, made for some interesting situations!

The 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 I had ordered was the last 1/2 ton truck I ever saw or drove with a MT. Manual hubs were history by then on light-duties. Before that, it was a 91 Explorer. Had to order that one as well, w/ manual hubs and manual xfer case. The Exploder's trans was a Mazda gearbox. And was a very nice, robust, smooth unit I might add. I would think a Jeep Gladiator would be offered with a MT, but who knows. haven't checked. Truck-wise, really couldn't tell you what can be equipped w/ a MT anymore.

Back