Possible to Order a CX-5 with Port-Installed Options?

mazdanewbe

:
CX-5 (Maybe)
Hi Everyone,

We're new to Mazda (and this forum) and thinking about a 2016 CX-5. We like the Grand Touring trim but would like to order the car with several options and have them all installed as Port Installed Options. This would include the tow hitch and other items.

We'd like all the options to be Port Installed so they appear on the window sticker, instead of having the dealer's service department install them. That's because we'll probably lease the car and with options shown on the window sticker, we can include them in the lease. Our other reasons include the fact that Port Installed Options have a fixed price and I don't have to worry about the service department's expertise (or lack thereof) to installed the options.

So, here's my question:

Can I order a CX-5 and specify the specific options I want are installed at the Port of Entry? Anyone do this before?

Thanks for your help and we're looking forward to our new CX-5!

I purchased my CX-5 and had to find one that had most of what I wanted already installed, then they installed the options that weren't included. There are a few options that they just do not install, possibly depending on where you are. Remote start and the trailer hitch seem to be two of them. The person who helped me with my purchase also advised me against the OEM trailer hitch because it's not that great, limited towing capacity and a 1-1/4 inch hitch receiver, and they have to cut the rear bumper. You're better off with one of the hitches recommended on this forum.

isn't there also an option for a class II trailer hitch instead of just the class I? I thought I remember reading that some where. Maybe I was looking at the Canada mazda site.

We ordered our 2015 with all the options installed at the port. Delivery takes a bit longer but is worth it in the long run and cheaper. I cannot fault the quality of the installations.

isn't there also an option for a class II trailer hitch instead of just the class I? I thought I remember reading that some where. Maybe I was looking at the Canada mazda site.
I think you mean Class III rather than Class II and no, Mazda only offers Class II as that is consistent with the limitations of the vehicle and its chassis. If they offered a Class III, they would be legally liable if someone tried to tow something that exceeded their stated limitations.

We ordered our 2015 with all the options installed at the port. Delivery takes a bit longer but is worth it in the long run and cheaper. I cannot fault the quality of the installations.

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know. We're still a little undecided as to the CX-5 vs the Ford Escape Titanium. The issue is the lack of seat memory on the Mazda (the Escape has that feature). Wonder why Mazda doesn't include seat memory as it does on the 6 Grand Touring?

Thanks again for your help.

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know. We're still a little undecided as to the CX-5 vs the Ford Escape Titanium. The issue is the lack of seat memory on the Mazda (the Escape has that feature). Wonder why Mazda doesn't include seat memory as it does on the 6 Grand Touring?
Yeah, the fact that the US version of CX-5 lacks the optional memory seat is inexcusable as Mazda6 and CX-5's in all other countries have it! Some top executives in Mazda North American Operations simply just dropped the ball trying to save few dollars on cost! We placed order for a 2016 CX-5 GT AWD w/ Tech Pkg. for the opposite reason from you: we don't want any port/dealer installed options. We'd do the same if we want some options which can only be installed at port, definitely not by the Mazda dealership for the exact same reason you have: having a fixed price and not to worry about the service department's expertise (or lack thereof) to install the options!

Ford Escape is a very nice looking car. Personally I'd hesitate a bit on Ford products which are having worse quality and reliability records. I personally don't like turbo engine as well for long-term reliability worries and fuel economy issue as it will hardly to achieve the same EPA rating in the real world environment.

Last edited:
I may be out of touch with this, but who is physically installing all these options at the port of entry?

I think you mean Class III rather than Class II and no, Mazda only offers Class II as that is consistent with the limitations of the vehicle and its chassis. If they offered a Class III, they would be legally liable if someone tried to tow something that exceeded their stated limitations.

I have not seen an OEM Class II offered... only the small Class I

I went with this class III on mine
87623_01_0016_1000.jpg

It will probably never see anything much beyond 1500 lbs. I often carry a lot of stuff on a rear carrier and this unit has one of the higher tongue weight ratings.

I may be out of touch with this, but who is physically installing all these options at the port of entry?

Good article here about port installed options: http://www.autotrader.com/research/...215790/dealer-installed-options-explained.jsp

Most cars that "come off the boat" go through a port of entry. They're checked for damage and pass through Customs as well. The employees are part of the Mazda Corporatate, not a specific dealer. A few years ago I had the opportunity to tour the BMW-Mini-Rolls Royce port in Oxnard, California. It was amazing to see the cars that have arrived going through the process. I saw technicians installing many "port options" that I always assumed were installed at the time of manufacture.

The reason I want port-installed options is: 1. They appear on the window sticker, which helps when I go to sell the car as I show the buyer the original price; 2. I don't trust dealer employees to install the options and the prices are often inflated; 3. I plan on leasing the CX-5, so I don't want to "buy" the options. By including it in the window sticker, it becomes part of the lease deal.

The reason I want port-installed options is: 1. They appear on the window sticker, which helps when I go to sell the car as I show the buyer the original price; 2. I don't trust dealer employees to install the options and the prices are often inflated; 3. I plan on leasing the CX-5, so I don't want to "buy" the options. By including it in the window sticker, it becomes part of the lease deal.

So you are leasing the car, but plan to sell the car and want to show the buyer the original price?

So you are leasing the car, but plan to sell the car and want to show the buyer the original price?

I usually lease my cars as there are several advantages, including only paying sales tax on the monthly payment (works this way in AZ). You have the option to purchase the vehicle at lease termination at the pre-determined residual value. You can also sell the vehicle privately if you wish. Sometimes the market value is more than the residual value. I've even sold leased cars to CarMax and came out ahead. Having the window sticker to show exactly how much the car is worth can pay off.

Back