possible rx-8 purchase here....

mhrebin

:
03 pro
hey guys.

been on the forums for a little while now. i own an lx protege but have been car shopping recently since i feel it is time to upgrade.

i have been checking out Rx-8's at a local mazda dealer. they have an 05 6 speed manual, sport package in black for 17695. it has 17840 on the odo.

it is beautiful. just wanted to get some opinions on the car. like mpg and special care instructions, any problems i should be aware of or recalls i should bring up to them to have it checked out. is this a good price? what should i be offering them if its not. any input would be great. i really like the car but want to be sure im getting a good deal. i test drove it and the rx-8 just feels super solid. real good stance and overall performance. instantly hooked.

i search the rx-8 section and found a few threads but nothing really geared towards the 05 rx-8. but maybe it slipped under my radar, who knows.

After 2 days youre mad because no one said anything? and maybe those 40 people were looking for the same answers you were and didnt have an opinion to share?

Anywho to answer your questions.... there are a lot of TSB's and recalls for the 04-05 RX-8's...

They are a VERY high maintenance vehicle

they burn oil, get crappy gas mileage, and have no low end acceleration

lol. yeah all the stuff ive been coming across lately was leaning toward that. its a nice vehicle, but probably just not the one for me right now. i need some mpg's.lol thanks man.

I would say, it is for risk takers..,.,.,and have some cash with you "incase".

I keep a rubbermaid container in the trunk with my oil for every 500 miles! I love this car and the little quirks it has just add to the experience. I would agree though this car is not for people that see a car as merely transportation.

you specifically mentioned the 04-05 Rx-8's, are the 06's better than?

This morning the p5 got totaled and over the next 3-4 days I will be looking at cars, if the speed3 doesnt work out, which I doubt it will financially, I have found a few decent 06 rx-8's for 16-17k with 20-30k miles. I know how to take care of cars and don't mind doing so but I don't want to have to keep bringing it into the dealer either. Wether its under warranty or not.

There are always issues with any new generation of vehicle. The reason the RX-8's issues are well know is because it's a car always in the public spotlight.

I have an 03-model & apart from the "Coils issue" which I fixed myself for under $150 its been plain sailing.

Yes, the 03 + 04 models have more issues than the 05 + 06 models but their price is better so its a case of what suits your budget.

The RX-8 is a high maintanence car compared to a regular M3 or M6 sedan.

1. ALWAYS warm the engine from cold before driving
2. Idle down the engine after a thrashing like a turbo but only about 30% as long as you would a turbo
3. ALWAYS change the oil at 10,000km or less
4. Change plugs every 20,000km if you use the factory NGK versions

Follow these simple steps & that little 13B-MSP engine will love you back.

Most RX-8 (or any rotary) guys can do this easily as you get used to it.

REgards

Back