Possible Dealer damage: need help

I had my car put in the garage almost 2 weeks ago to get a tsb done. Basically my remote keyless entry stopped working when standing behind the vehicle and they had to replace a antenna in my trunk.

Now my dealer for the most part is great. But there's something going on here.

take a look at these pics. First the right tail. I noticed the paint was cracked between the tail light and meta of the trunk, like something was stuck in there and used to pry the light out. The same thing is on the left tail, and in the same spot, and the same way/size.

This antenna they replaced, does anyone know if it's behind those lights, or if they would have to take out those lights for any reason to do this TSB?

IMG_0447.jpg

this is car that is taken good care of. Only 37kms on it, and zaino is my wax of choice. It makes no sense that my paint would just start flaking off in the same spot on two sides unless it was struck.

Last edited:
that deff. looks like some one tried to pry your tail light out of place. go back to the dealer and complaine.

yeah cuz for sure, that aint right. the lights come out much easier then that. there is no need for a pry bar of any sorts.

but does anyone know where the rear antenna goes? Is there any reason to take out those lights to get to it?

but does anyone know where the rear antenna goes? Is there any reason to take out those lights to get to it?

I don't know if there's an antenna back there, but I would already be at the dealer discussing the problem. Also, since there's not any rust, they would be hard-pressed to blame it on you. What was the timeframe between when you got it back and when you found the damage?

1-2 weeks tops , going to dealer tomorrow. Actually it was June 12, but I noticed it on Monday - 22nd.

Last edited:
Could someone maybe have tried jacking your taillights? While it was sitting at the dealership?

I Cant see the pictures, at work, im just going off of the verbal here.

Last edited:
I wanted to update on this. The dealer isn't going to do anything. They didn't do it. But, they consider it normal wear and tear and since it's a lease car, they basically don't care about taking care of it.

BUT IF YOU OWN A MAZDASPEED 6 CHECK THIS

Look at the tails. Look underneath the gap...right where my damage is. This is inside the gap between the light itself and and the trunk. With my lights there are two little plastic or metal things (nipples?), almost look like spacers that hang down and actually touch the paint. There is one on then right of the light and one of the left, both about one inch in from the end of the light. Obviously after time, they rub and rub the paint and broke the paint causing my damage.

Those little plastic things hanging down are part of the lights themselves so I'd be surprised if I am the only one with this issue.

Last edited:
I wanted to update on this. The dealer isn't going to do anything. They didn't do it. But, they consider it normal wear and tear and since it's a lease car, they basically don't care about taking care of it.

BUT IF YOU OWN A MAZDASPEED 6 CHECK THIS

Look at the tails. Look underneath the gap...right where my damage is. This is inside the gap between the light itself and and the trunk. With my lights there are two little plastic or metal things (nipples?), almost look like spacers that hang down and actually touch the paint. There is one on then right of the light and one of the left, both about one inch in from the end of the light. Obviously after time, they rub and rub the paint and broke the paint causing my damage.

Those little plastic things hanging down are part of the lights themselves so I'd be surprised if I am the only one with this issue.

You should have a paint/corrosion protection warranty in your owners manual. I don't have mine in front of me, but if that piece hasn't been repainted ( I assume it hasn't), then I'd pursue this with a dealer.

That definitely isn't "normal" and them telling you that is ridiculous.

the antenna for the rear trunk button is behind the bumper so it is accessed from below.

paint and corrosion is 60 months. I can't see why it wouldn't be covered. I'll try to get a picture of the nipples :) that I'm talking about. But if I were a betting man, I'd say I'm not the only one out there where these lights are rubbing the paint. So be warned.

I had my car in for a turbo replacement and got it back with identical dents on the fender above both of the rear wheel wells from, I don't know, maybe some kind of device that a dealership would have that might pick a car up with arms by each tire - does somethin like that exist? But "our mechanics care about their jobs and wouldn't let anything like this happen," so I had to go buy one of those info-mercial dent removers and fix it myself. F*** dealerships.

Last edited:
I had my car in for a turbo replacement and got it back with identical dents on the fender above both of the rear wheel wells from, I don't know, maybe some kind of device that a dealership would have that might pick a car up with arms by each tire - does somethin like that exist? But "our mechanics care about their jobs and wouldn't let anything like this happen," so I had to go buy one of those info-mercial dent removers and fix it myself. F*** stealerships.

fixxed. none the less the dealers are in it to make as much as possible. :( (notcool)

Back