Ported fiberglass enclosure

Zixxer636

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
Here it is almost done...used a write up someone else posted a while ago for the general idea. The box was supposed to be sealed but when a rough estimate of around 2 cubic feet of volume came out, ported was the only option. Some 12s can use that much space with a sealed enclosure but not in my price range. This is alpines new entry level sub which sounds really good in this box. It sounded ok while it was sealed still but you could tell the sub was straining. After cutting the hole it sounded better and after getting the port inserted now I am really happy with the results.

There are a few imperfections but for the most part it turned out pretty good. I also dynamatted the entire back of the enclosure which helped a lot because the fiberglass on metal rattle is not a note I like to listen to.

I will post up some final pix once I get the carpet and everything in place and cleaned.

Enjoy

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    574.2 KB · Views: 745
Interesting project. Do you have an amp and/or cross over installed somewhere else in the car?

Where did you find the steps to remove the panel to use as a mold for fiberglass? Or did you just start pulling?

I have a 5 channel amp under my driver seat. I didn't need a capacitor after I upgraded the chassis ground. I used this guys walk through, http://chris.pfharlock.com/glass/index.htm. I did cut out the mount for the jack that way it was smoother and gave me more space.

As far as removing panels...I am a mobile electronics installer for best buy so I knew where I wanted my sub but had difficulty deciding if I wanted to use a panel as a mold or to do it in the car. I pulled out all the panels in the back so I could see I'd there were any differences and I believe there is more space available on the passenger side if you remove the spare tire stuff. I decided to fiberglass in the car to try and maximize volume because the write up I found where the guy used the panel said his box was only .5 cubic feet and I definitely wanted a 12 with some breathing room. This had some drawbacks like it was a bigger pain in the butt and ended up not being as smooth.

Attempt number one was very ugly and that's when I read the part about making sure the matte was fully saturated the first time. I thought I could go back and smooth it out. The first picture is my first attempt.

My second attempt was too specific in size. I shaped it to the car and made it so you couldn't get the box out without breaking the box which is good because I pulled it after 2 layers. What I had was useless as a box but a great mold. Using tape I just brought the box in more, cutting space in the areas I needed to and smoothing it out in other areas(as much as I could).

Things I learned and hope help someone else.
1) use the good tape like everyone says...it adds to build cost but is so much better to work with. Crap tape is why I have waves in the part touching my seat.

2) don't build on a tight budget, this being my first time I wasted a lot of matte and a lot of resin. My final box is only 3-4 layers thick on the back and has only polyester front with one layer of cloth

3) taping and getting down your first layer are most important. I was only able to work during my sons nap time so I could only get down 2 layers then had to do 2 more after it cured, it would have been much smoother and stronger if I had gotten all 4 down at the same time. So don't have a budget on time either

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    587.7 KB · Views: 118
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    354 KB · Views: 112
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    645.3 KB · Views: 113
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    740.6 KB · Views: 106
Great job, looks really good.

I used the same how to. Turned out great. I didn't port mine but it still sounds amazing. I think I have a picture of it on here somewhere.

Great job, looks really good.

I used the same how to. Turned out great. I didn't port mine but it still sounds amazing. I think I have a picture of it on here somewhere.

Phoenix gold is significantly better than my current setup...I'd be interested in seeing your pics. I think I may have brought my box out further than he did. The cavity I measured with water and the rest was a large flat rectangle I could make a pretty good approximation. The cavity was about .8cubic feet and the rest was around 1.2 but I don't think he said how big his turned out. Possibly similar though because I think he used kappa perfect 10s which need around a foot a piece if memory serves me correctly.

I like this, a lot! Great work! I love seeing p5 folks get into car audio, especially custom enclosures like this. when i get rid of my 12's i will probably make 2 custom enclosures (1 on each side of hatch) and get some nice 10" orion hcca's
great work keep it up!

Here is the enclosure I built a bunch of years ago 9400109699939038644986. How did you enjoy the sweet sweet smell of resin in your car afterwards? Lol.

You mean how am I enjoying the smell. I could care less, but my pregnant wife, whose nose works better than my dogs right now, is less than pleased.

Thank you Pcb, that's what I was trying to do. I'm not so great with computators.

I remember seeing your build thread. How long did it take for the smell to go away...or is it still there?

Not much smell for this one as I did all the fabricating outside of the car, and once the resin cures there is no smell. My last car however, I did it inside the car. It reeked of resin for a week or so.

And I know what you mean about the ridiculous nose of your wife! My wife's sence of smell skyrocketed when she was pregnant with our children. It hasn't gone back to normal yet either after several years!

Back