2017~2024 Poor display resolution

Greetings and thanks to all who have shared their knowledge.

I just bought 2019 CX-5 Grand Touring with 22K miles. I am not car literate, but I am experienced w tech. I find the display sub par. The image is fuzzy like an old TV. I was in another vehicle (not Mazda) and the display was crisp. Can this be improved?

Yes, buy a non-Mazda, or get a new model with the 10.25" display that has much better resolution, but will still have plenty of other sub-par traits that might bother you. Just don't get a Honda, they are even worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
The display in our 2018 CX5 does not look like "an old TV" at all. Maybe something is wrong with the display? If still under warrantee, take it in and see if you can get a screen replacement.

You need to be more specific. Are you talking about the backup camera or the infortainment screen in general? If it's the screen where you see the music selections, etc and it's fuzzy then there's
something wrong with the display. Possibly somebody scratched the screen. Can you provide some pics?

Nothing that can really be done aside from playing with the display settings. Put the car in Reverse, and while the rear camera view is displayed, engage the parking brake (just in case), then tap on the gear icon to bring up the display settings and adjust as necessary.

There has been a lot of talk about people cleaning the screen and making it useless. For the camera I found turning down the contrast and the color helped. Cleaning the camera lens won't hurt. The camera is very useful if you are coming from a car. I use the camera to backup and park, life in the city!

Last edited:
I should be more specific. The image is blurry on back up. Seems like a shrub should look like a shrub, not a green fuzzy thing. Use AirPlay for Navigation, Music etc.

I am not sure if there was a plastic covering on the camera lens when the car is new, that should come off. Try some Windex on the lens. Maybe the first owner put some car wax on it by mistake. The display should look pretty good, not 4k.

The back up camera has poor resolution.
Yes. This is normal. Along with the wind sound that comes through the windows and the mIni-death spare. But even so , the Mazda has far more positives and imo, it's still better than a Honda CR-V, Hyundai Tucson, or Nissan rogue. For me it was this, a Ford maverick or a Toyota RAV4. I couldn't get the Maverick until next year or maybe even 2023. This was my second choice. After a few months, you may not mind the display. For the few seconds a day spent backing up, I don't even notice it anymore.

I am not sure if there was a plastic covering on the camera lens when the car is new, that should come off. Try some Windex on the lens. Maybe the first owner put some car wax on it by mistake. The display should look pretty good, not 4k.
The camera lens is plastic. Windex is not good for cleaning plastic. Same applies to LCD screen.

I have a '16.5 GT with the 7" built into the upper dash and my picture is clear and sharp. At night it can be a little out of focus or fuzzy.

Back