Pleased with front brake pads

:
2016 CX-5 GT AWD
Greetings,

Bought replacement front brake pads for the 2016 GT, 65000 miles. Upon removal of existing pads found there was still 9mm on outboard pad and 8mm on inboard pad on both sides. Cleaned and re-lubricated touch points and slapped back together. Figured I'd need new pads because I live in the mountains and the downhill trek is quite windy and brakes are used a bunch (I do put the shifter into Manual mode, maybe that saves me a little pad). I guess I'll save my new pads for a while longer.

Greetings,

Bought replacement front brake pads for the 2016 GT, 65000 miles. Upon removal of existing pads found there was still 9mm on outboard pad and 8mm on inboard pad on both sides. Cleaned and re-lubricated touch points and slapped back together. Figured I'd need new pads because I live in the mountains and the downhill trek is quite windy and brakes are used a bunch (I do put the shifter into Manual mode, maybe that saves me a little pad). I guess I'll save my new pads for a while longer.
At 65000 miles, have you replaced rear disk pads yet? Usually people need rear pads a lot earlier than front on CX-5.

I am planning on checking the rears on Friday.
Since you have a 2016 CX-5, make sure to read the EPB dragging TSB and see if you need a pair of revised rear disk calipers. And make sure you need to put EPB in Maintenance Mode, and don’t turn the caliper piston while you’re pushing it in.

I believe your rear disk brake problem could be either the garage didn’t put the EPB in Maintenance Mode at first, or they rotated the caliper piston, or could be both.

View attachment 226000

It’s also possible your rear disk calipers already at fault with EPB dragging issue, and in this case you do need a pair of new revised rear calipers. Here’s the TSB which explains the problematic factory rear disk calipers and Mazda have to revise them to eliminate the problem:

TSB R052/16C: Noise from REAR BRAKE/Trace of Rear Brake Dragging

See more discussions on EPB Maintenance Mode:

Maintenance Mode for 2016/2017 CX-5 electronic brakes

Last edited:
Since you have a 2016 CX-5, make sure to read the EPB dragging TSB and see if you need a pair of revised rear disk calipers. And make sure you need to put EPB in Maintenance Mode, and don’t turn the caliper piston while you’re pushing it in.
Checked rear pads today. Driver's side 5mm remaining inboard and outboard. Passenger's side 6mm inboard and outboard. Rotors appear fine, unscored and smooth. I've still got some time, but I'll change them pretty soon.

Checked rear pads today. Driver's side 5mm remaining inboard and outboard. Passenger's side 6mm inboard and outboard. Rotors appear fine, unscored and smooth. I've still got some time, but I'll change them pretty soon.
That’s a good news. I assume you’ve read the EPB dragging TSB, which describes all possible symptoms with color pictures to identify if your rear disk brakes are having any dragging issues and require revised calipers.

That’s a good news. I assume you’ve read the EPB dragging TSB, which describes all possible symptoms with color pictures to identify if your rear disk brakes are having any dragging issues and require revised calipers.
I've looked at the TSB. No discoloration of rotor on either side. I don't believe the brakes are dragging. Maybe I just got lucky.

Back