Pitted windshield?

erhayes

Contributor
:
2022CX5 PP
Driving my 2014 touring directly into the sun shows many tiny sand size pits? in my windshield. The tiny pits are maybe .010" and I have approximately 5 per square inch in random areas of the glass. My car has been driven by me for only 4 weeks locally and never behind a truck. In addition the front hood is spotless without blemish. Anyone else observing this?

Nope. Mine seems crystal clear and its a year and a half old. Can you feel it on the windshield? Maybe rather than pitting it is debris on the windshield? Try running a razor blade or an exacto knife across it and see if it cones off.

My windshield was covered with something like overspray when I first got it a year ago. I used a heavy duty glass cleaner with a light abrasive in it to clean it up.

I washed the windshield down (outside & inside) with a rag dampen with Lacquer thinner and then used Stoner glass cleaner this morning. The window feels absolutely smooth, both inside and out. I will report back when I get to try it again.

The windshield is much better but, still has lots of small sand size spots. I can live with that. If the windshield is laminated, I think the spots are in the glass. Not worth trying to get the dealer involved at this point. Thanks to all for your suggestions. Ed

Ed-I concur with kritz above and encourage you to try using a clay bar. I misspoke above (senior moment!) when I recounted how I cleaned my similarly contaminated windshield back in ot-'12. I recall now that I had to really work it with a clay bar, but it did the trick.

OK. Last resort-will try a clay bar and report back.
Hardest part is near the trim surrounding the windscreen as it inhibits your ability to apply necessary pressure to the clay bar, so really work that area. The "field" is much easier to clean. Good luck!

I finally cleaned the front windshield several times with a CLAY BAR and it improved nothing. Based on this, I will make an appointment with the dealer but, expect not to much because it is only visible and annoying when driving into a low sun. It appears to be something like a crazing on plastic. It may be getting worse so at least I will get it on record. Thank you for all the suggestions. Ed

I wonder if it would show up in a picture? I guess it would be hard to get a camera to focus on the glass. But maybe on the dash just in front of the glass would show the pitting/crazing?

I finally cleaned the front windshield several times with a CLAY BAR and it improved nothing. Based on this, I will make an appointment with the dealer but, expect not to much because it is only visible and annoying when driving into a low sun. It appears to be something like a crazing on plastic. It may be getting worse so at least I will get it on record. Thank you for all the suggestions. Ed
If you've got a genuinely defective windshield there's no reason for Mazda not to replace it. That said, IMO it boils down to a judgment call on your part whether you want to subject your new baby to that kind of repair this early in the game, or is it something you can live with. I once had a '97 Dodge Dakota that had a windshield defect caused by the suction cup used to install it at the factory. Like yours, driving into a low sun, particularly in the winter months, it would drive me crazy, but I didn't want to chance having a leak or paint damage, so I just shined it on.

Id be interested in seeing whats going on. My thought though is if you could show your stealership a picture of what it looks like in the offending conditions it might be beneficial to your argument. That is if its the type of thing that would even show in a photo.

I was able to use a digital camera and take some so so pictures. I went to the dealer with the pictures and they examined the windshield. Unfortunately the day was cloudy so the visual inspection was not convincing. They asked me to leave the photos and will discuss it with the Mazda rep, who is due to visit this week. Ed

Back