Pictures, Videos and More!!! Racing Beat Exhaust, Tsudo Header and SLS Midpipe!

Flash5

Corners > Straight Lines
:
2002 Mazda P5
Ok so as a few of you know I had set up to install my header and midpipe this weekend. I had my fears of rusted bolts and rounded nuts but they are both installed. First off I made the title very obvious so people could search this thread in the future if they are looking for info or videos on any of these things. So heres the install story:

I go to my friends house since he has a garage with a heater (it was in the 20s this weekend). We start taking off the stock header and all goes well until the spring loaded bolts (as I predicted). Now I had been spraying those bolts (with pb blaster) along with a few other ones for about 4 days leading up to taking them off to be safe. But the spring loaded bolts were still a pain BUT they did come off eventually. Also, the stock header really does way about 50 pounds so the weight loss alone is almost worth it!

After a run to the store to get some hardware we precede to take off the bolts at the other end of the midpipe which are connected to the resonator pipe. To make a long story short, one came off the while other was encouraged to come off with a circular saw :). Then we had to lube up the hangers to get the midpipe out.

So all the stock parts were off and we started putting the header on first. The stock gasket was in perfect shape so no worries there. Unfortunately one of the 10 bolts that connects the header to the head broke off inside of the block (look at pics further down). But the rest of the bolts were fine and there was no air leakage upon fire-up so all is ok. So the header was on no problem after that.

The midpipe also went on fine BUT we did run into a problem with the spring loaded bolts again. Turns out with this midpipe and header the flanges were too thick for the stock spring bolts so we had to go out and part together our own (in pics as well). After that the rest went smooth and fit together perfect.

Racing Beat Cat-back Exhaust System

Protege5exhaust.jpg

Before I get into the midpipe and header I figured I would talk about the Racing Beat catback first. I bought it through Ken from protege garage but not directly through PG, he hooked me up with a used one for a great price. I have had this on my car for almost 3 years and have loved it. It sounds great and is by no means is ricey but I wouldn't call it deep or throaty either. No drone what-so-ever and sounds best around 2000-35000 rpms. Couldn't really feel any gains with it on but still very worth it.

Pictures of it on my car:

2-2.jpg

1-2.jpg

Video (sound quality on the video is garbage but its better then nothing!)

Exhaust

Tsudo Header

I believe this is a knock off of the obx header but it still was a good quality. I bought this used from a member on here. All the bungs and the egr port were in great shape so no worries there. Install was easy and like I said before weight is MUCH lighter than stock.

SLS Catted Midpipe

I was back and forth about getting a midpipe for years but I finally caved and said screw it. Bought this from Ken at PG again but it was new so I basically paid retail for it :(. I wanted to keep the catalytic converter since I have emission tests here in PA and wouldn't be able to pass it without a cat. I also got the stainless-steel version as well. I was very impressed with this when I first saw it. Welds were great and everything seemed to be of the highest quality. Also the flange on that connects to the header was free moving so it could be rotated to fit the header flange at any angle. The only thing I did not know was that there was an o2 bung after the cat so I had to get it plugged (or you can get the o2 wires extended to avoid a CEL). I went to autozone and asked if they had anything I could plug it with...they looked at me like I was asking what the meaning of life was. Needless to say they were extremely useless. So I went to A&A auto up the road and they hooked me up with a 18mm oil pan plug that fits perfect. They know what they are talking about there. Install was fine and no issues with it at all.

Pictures of header and midpipe before being installed:

3-2.jpg

5-1.jpg

6-1.jpg

4-1.jpg

Pictures after installed:

7.jpg

This was the bolt that broke off:
8.jpg

9.jpg

A crappy picture of the spring loaded bolts we pieced together. We just went out and bought grade eight bolts, buts and washer and just used the stock springs. Works great and was MUCH cheaper than buying from the dealer.
10.jpg

Crappy picture of new catalytic converter installed:

11.jpg

And finally the video you have all been waiting for! Its a cold start up since it was sitting for a while so thats why it is idling high and for some reason the sound dies a bit towards the end then comes back. Again the quality is low and honestly, after hearing it I was shocked at how ricey is sounds but I'll get to that after the video...

Exhaust

Sounds ricey doesn't it?! But the thing is that is not how it sounded to me when i revved it and when I was driving. Start-up sounds exactly the same as it did with the catback, maybe a tad louder but barley. Normal driving up to maybe 2500rpm is close to being the same as the RB catback but one you pass that, that is when the noise changes! My biggest complaint about the RB catback had to be that after aboit 3000rpm it really doesn't sound too much different from stock. Well needless to say its different now! It sounds like nothing I have ever heard before. It doesn't sound like a civic, not like a subaru, IT SOUNDS LIKE A MAZDA! The best way I can describe it is that it takes what the racing beat sounds like but amplifies it. The only time it gets ricey is above 5000rpms. But I barely ever go that high so no worries here.

I haven't noticed a power increase but its only been a few miles in so I haven't been able to test it yet (not to mention the mpg is poopy while the ecu is resetting itself!). Overall I am extremely satisfied with my exhaust set up and can't wait until the summer when I can drive it with my windows down :).

If anyone has any questions please fell free to ask! Damn that was long...I'm going to go take a nap now.

Last edited:
i cant wait for the weekend when i can drive again...although i know i will be getting that CEL soon enough!

its definitely the sound quality of the camera i used, i mean its a 3 year old digital camera so yea. ill check for exhaust leaks but it seemed fine when i checked it before.

I am going to have a similar setup. Right now, I have OBX header and MSP racing beat axleback. MAM catted midpipe is sitting in the garage waiting to be installed once it is warmer here.
I wonder how much more power will i get if I have a real racing beat catback. I am thinking it may not really worth it.

This is the best setup for a N/A FSDE engine...Almost the exact same as my old exhaust..which is not the wifey's exhaust, minus the midpipe...Very growly and mean, but not too loud and obnoxious...

iv got the OBX header Vib. catless mid and the RB catback but im going to get the autox header soon. iv learned that if you got a really nice header it makes a diff. we and my buddy did a dyno on his protege had the same set up at me dynoed and dynoed with the autox header and he made a good 5whp to the wheel just but changing the header

An entire day? Now I'm really nervous about my install. lol Glad that you guys were able to get it on and get the car running.

I did pay more upfront by buying all of the hardware from the dealer but I figure it's a price to pay for the convienence of not having to make that trip to the hardware store while the car is down.

In regards to emissions, you'll pass fine with just the one cat? That was the main reason I opted for the MSP dual cat midpipe so I would be moving them vs removing them.

the place i got doenst let things go at all. they dont need to do look over everything on the car he looks at a few things check all the fluids and just plugs it in the the computer. it never saw or found anything wrong with it

edit: hes told me my HID would make me fail cause there not stock for the car iv also hered that from some other places to

Last edited:
not going above 5000rpms?!? shouldn't you be going above everytime you shift??? .......lol

the place i got doenst let things go at all. they dont need to do look over everything on the car he looks at a few things check all the fluids and just plugs it in the the computer. it never saw or found anything wrong with it

edit: hes told me my HID would make me fail cause there not stock for the car iv also hered that from some other places to

Really? I called a local shop in town before I bought my header and the guy on the other end knew what I was talking about and told me that upon a visual check the non-fouler would fail me before they even hooked it up to the computer.

As for the computer itself, that is odd that you pass with no cats. My understanding is that the info is sent directly to Harrisburg so the shop attendant cannot modify the results....unless of course it is hooked up to a different car to begin with.

My mechanic didn't mention anything about the HID's when I had it in for inspection last month....and honestly I was expecting him too.

Really? I called a local shop in town before I bought my header and the guy on the other end knew what I was talking about and told me that upon a visual check the non-fouler would fail me before they even hooked it up to the computer.

As for the computer itself, that is odd that you pass with no cats. My understanding is that the info is sent directly to Harrisburg so the shop attendant cannot modify the results....unless of course it is hooked up to a different car to begin with.

My mechanic didn't mention anything about the HID's when I had it in for inspection last month....and honestly I was expecting him too.

ya a few shops told me in pa you dont need to do the visual check and i got my car inspected 2 times since i had all of it in with the non foulers

Back