PICS of header installed

Very nice. Can you feel the power gain? I really want to do this but need to save the $$$. What'd you pay?

Yep, thats a header. i am assuming you have a lovely CEL now?

I payed $518.50 U.S. I havent really throttled the car yet but I will let you know when I do

Yep thats a header and NO there isn't any CEL or codes thrown. Its has 2 O@ sensors and 1 EGR bung. Very well made header.

On my car like many other Pros there are 2 cats. I still have the one under the car. The O2 sensors are both on the header b4 the cat. The main cat on the manifold is removed yes. How it doesn't throw a CEL or code is beyond me but it doesnt.

I am well awar of the cat situation. Self installed turbo kit bro.
I was swapping out my 1st cat for a new down pipe tomarrow.
Cool that it didn't throw a cel.
How does it perform?

upsman said:
I payed $518.50 U.S. I havent really throttled the car yet but I will let you know when I do

Yep thats a header and NO there isn't any CEL or codes thrown. Its has 2 O@ sensors and 1 EGR bung. Very well made header.

Yeah get up on that car and tell us what the "ass-meter" says. lol

Pulls like a freight train

Sort of! :p

After only 30 miles of drive time tonight, it came to life. This really does make a nice improvement. I'll let the ECU learn over the next several hundred miles, then it's dyno time. :D

100_1008-vi.jpg

100_1005-vi.jpg

100_1011-vi.jpg

100_1020-vi.jpg

100_1024-vi.jpg

MackDaddy,

Looks good man. You are correct, it does pull nicely. Im satisfied with it. Just need to put my new gasket in so it doesnt leak anymore.

Did you have anymore trouble with the EGR pipe this time around? It was a tight fit for me but after a lil work I got it to fit.

Let the games begin!!!

upsman said:
MackDaddy,

Looks good man. You are correct, it does pull nicely. Im satisfied with it. Just need to put my new gasket in so it doesnt leak anymore.

Did you have anymore trouble with the EGR pipe this time around? It was a tight fit for me but after a lil work I got it to fit.

Let the games begin!!!

Ditto, brother.. :D I was very impressed with the "butt dyno" results after only 30 miles of drive time. Let the ECU adapt for this over time, and it should really pack a punch! I give Tony credit, it works well.

EGR pipe needed a lot less finess this time. Still not perfect, but better than the first time around. And you really have me worried on the rear flange.... but so far mine has no leaks, period. We shall see on that one....

One thing that's bugging me on my install. It seems the header is a bit too long. My RB catback is now pushed rearward ~ 1 inch. This in turn has the muffler tip pushed upward into the bumper cover (it was close enough before.) You can see it in all four rubber exhaust system hangers. My muffler tip now hits the bumper cover quite often over bumpy roads. :( Annoying, to say the least. I'll have to take a better look today (it was late last night when I finished the install.) Might have to get an exhaust shop to hack a chunk of piping out to shorten the overall system length. Don't konw if I really wat to do this.... maybe find some slightly longer rubber hangers to facilitate "lowering" the entire system a bit.

Can you check your's for me? I'd sure appreciate it.

Jim

Well I cant say that my exhaust was pushed back and inch but I can say that the tip is raised a little and is hittin the rear bumper ever soo slightly. I had the KartBoy Poly exhaust hangers on b4 the header and it did the same thing. I took the very rear one out and it lowered the exhaust to where it didnt touch. NOW Im gonna try to take the other rear poly hanger out and put the stock rubber back in and see if that helps. (Ill only have the front 2 on) Well see and I'll let you know.

Oh to be the guinea pigs. I should be used to it now but...

Jeremy

No doubt...

But someone's got to do it. Lol.

I've got Kartboy hangers as well, but could not use them at all. The RB catback has very little clearance with the stock hangers, and manifold. Looks like I'll have to try and find some other factory rubber hangers that are a bit longer. No big deal.

Thanks man!

Enjoy,
Jim

Well let me know if you find some that work. If my idea doesnt work then Ill try to get some of the ones that you find.

So are we the President and Vice President of the "header club?" LOL

Take it easy man
Jeremy

I can't say my install went any better than macdaddy. After figthing with the OEM flange at the 2nd cat, the removal was not bad. After reading these threads, I removed the 2 fans and installed from underneath and it went in ok. EGR was not tested, as it was about 1/2inch too short (front to bad of car) and had to cut the egr line and install a coupling (just added enough with a coupling). Then tightened everything up, and OOPPS, forgot to install the 2nd o2 sensor. Ok, just put it on right? NOPE, could not screw it in, as it hit the oilpan. DAMMMMMMMMMMMM. Removed the header, put the sensor in, and reinstalled. JUST, JUST managed to fit, but O2 touches the oilpan.
Basically the header works good, but has fitment issues. EGR is off, and o2 sensor was also not in correct position. This shows you that some quality control is needed at awr. THEY DO NOT FIT TEST.

Any comments or concerns from others who installed about heat issues. It sure seems to put a lot more heat into the engine.

wow... that's really hard to swallow. so expensive for such poor fitment. i was about to get it, too. good thing i ran into money problems. sorry to hear that guys. keep us updated on any fitment related problems.

To add fuel to the fire....

I set a check engine code about an hour ago. :mad:

Also, the exhaust system vibrates so bad it looks like it's going to shake off the car at idle, in gear (e-brake on.) The whole car now vibrates as well (read - sitting in the vehicle.)

With all of this, I'm about ready to go back to stock. I will not comprimise daily drivability for anything. :rolleyes:

Jim

Edit for grammiticals.

Edit 2: Removed "this sux." In all fairness, If I got the exhaust system fitment issue resolved, I'm sure that the header would not cause anymore NVH (see below post) than the OE stock manifold.

Last edited:
that's not encouraging at all. do you think this is an exclusive AWR problem or are all headers prone to causing vibrations? i'm worried now. keep us updated!

Mackdaddy said:
To add fuel to the fire....

I set a check engine code about an hour ago. :mad:

Also, the exhaust system vibrates so bad it looks like it's going to shake off the car at idle, in gear (e-brake on.) The whole car now vibrates as well (read - sitting in the vehicle.) This sux.

With all of this, I'm about ready to go back to stock. I will not comprimse daily drivability for anything. :rolleyes:

Jim

tonkabui said:
that's not encouraging at all. do you think this is an exclusive AWR problem or are all headers prone to causing vibrations? i'm worried now. keep us updated!

Who the hell knows. All I know is this thing is coming off. I'm not going to further deteriorate the ride comfort of a brand new car for anyone. Period. The intake / exhaust / springs are enough for me, I guess.

Edit: Now that I took a shower and cooled off a bit, I'll restate. :D

None of the other headers I've installed on previous cars (Civic, Accord, CL Type S) caused increased NVH (noise / vibration / harshness.) The only reason this one is doing what it's doing is the added stress it's putting on the OE exhaust system rubber hangers. They're now extended further (streched,) and thus transmit more NVH into the cabin.

I'm sure this will be worked out. I've emailed both Mitch, and Tony about this.

HTH - Jim

Last edited:
Mackdaddy said:

Who the hell knows. All I know is this thing is coming off. I'm not going to further deteriorate the ride comfort of a brand new car for anyone. Period. The intake / exhaust / springs are enough for me, I guess.

Edit: Now that I took a shower and cooled off a bit, I'll restate. :D

None of the other headers I've installed on previous cars (Civic, Accord, CL Type S) caused increased NVH (noise / vibration / harshness.) The only reason this one is doing what it's doing is the added stress it's putting on the OE exhaust system rubber hangers. They're now extended further (streched,) and thus transmit more NVH into the cabin.

I'm sure this will be worked out. I've emailed both Mitch, and Tony about this.

HTH - Jim

do you guys have Auto's or Manuals?

Back