Mazda B2200 issue...Help!

timmy2xs

Tiny Timmy's BDuceDuceHundred HelpLine!
Hi guys! Okay, so I have been driving myself insane for months now trying to figure out what is going on with my B2200. For a good few months now I have had this issue with my truck accelerating smoothly. Sometimes. That's part of the reason why it's so confusing. When the misfire does happen it happens throughout the gears. It randomly will lose power and bog out like it's going to die but as long as I keep at the throttle a bit it starts to accelerate again just fine. Then it'll do the same bogging crap then be fine again. (No it is not the fuel filter) When this first began happening I figured it would be either plugs&wires, dizzy cap&rotor, fuel filter or some where between my gas tank and the carburetor is a clogged up spot. Like right before the gas squirts into the carb or back by the fuel pump. Right away I replaced everything listed just now except for locating a possible clogged of some kind. I do not know a dang thing about carburetors so for me to go poking around the carb is definitely a bad idea. I haven't replaced the fuel pump yet but that is because I feel like that's not the issue. You can see gas squirt into my carb if you look down into it from above. Also, after I replaced everything I listed before the situation did somewhat get better. This is what confuses me the most... This problem chooses when it wants to show it's self cause I can go for weeks or more without any misfire or problems accelerating period. Over time I've came to the conclusion that if I park the truck for a good few hours, like overnight if I park on a flat surface the entire issue is non existent. Truck will run just fine for weeks, months. Until it just doesn't. Or if I park on a slant of any kind. That definitely seems to affect it and cause the issue to happen. The reason I have doubts about it being the fuel pump is because how it will run fine for such a long time. I do need to make sure I drive it daily, or at least run it at idle. It seems if I park it without running the engine for roughly 2days the problem comes right back again. It's probably not the best idea but I've noticed that when it does try and stall by misfiring to a low bog that if I say Braaaap and give her a full send up thru a gear or two that takes care of the problem too. Almost as if by giving it a full Braaaap I force whatever may be "clogged" out of the way for awhile at least. I really don't understand why it will just go away and run fine for so long then boom come back again. It's been like this now for a good 7 months I'd say. My most recent diagnosis is that I need to change my ignition coil that runs to my distributor. I'm sure that it hasn't been replaced like ever. That's what I been thinking about doing for the last few days any help is much appreciated!

Is it a mechanical or vacuum advance on the distributor?
It's hard to really understand what's going on over the internet but if a vacuum advance, it may be a slight leak either hose or diaphram. If mechanical advance, it may be bad springs. Might need a new distributor.
Maybe others can weigh in.
Good luck.

Thank you for your input. Honestly I don't think it's a vacuum leak issue. But it could be I suppose. I've been banging my head against the wall on this for months. It's so crazy to me how it just goes away and runs well again. Like today it was crapping out on my drive from Seattle to Renton (25 mins or so) then now it's running fine again. It's so annoying I swear it's like some other worldly force is at play here and they like messing with me.

Yea, but a leak at the vacuum diaphram of the distributor is different than an ordinary vacuum leak.
I'm assuming it's a vacuum advance distributor. The linkage attached to the diaphram that advances the plate inside the distributor could be sticking. If your timing is not advanced when rpms increase your engine could stutter and stumble.
It's a place to start looking at.

Back