Phone Mount Hack for ProClip

gotcha, thanks for answering me. Can you buy just the mount part or do you needed to order a phone holder as well? I might do this as I have one of those magnet mounts but I would most likely cut that large flat plate either off or way down to match the shape of the magnet mount better.

I don't understand, why these manufacturers don't make cradle mounts? I would prefer to put my phone in one, instead of using wires, which look bad and not factory clean at all.
Now, I have a Kenwood nav unit, with mirroring capabilities and it would be so nice, to be able to hook up the USB cable from the HDMI output to the cradle. This cable, mirrors the phone and charges it the same time.

If you just used a suction cup magnet mount like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Would it be too far back to reach comfortably. The way OP did it its very easy to reach obviously.

Where would you put the suction cup? windshield? The phone would then be about 16 inches up and away from you...and In full sun, and blocking your view out the middle of the windshield. Then you would also have a charge wire draped across the info-nav screen. If you dont mind those factors, then its fine. For me, the phone mount I have makes it look like the car dash was designed with a smart phone as an integrated part. nothing is blocked, in the way, out of reach. Especially at night. Ive had people already comment about how their car doesn't have a "home" like in my car.

I have that magnet mount in my Mazda3, and it works well, the phone is about as close to me as it is in your photo, with the same situation of draping the wire over the steering wheel. I can see if the CX5 windshield would be deeper how this mount won't be easily reached.

Awesome, I really like the ProClip vent attachment idea, but centered over the flasher button. On our recent road trip I had a spring-loaded holder for my phone mounted to the left air vent, and it partially blocked my view of the clock and made the sound system volume knob more difficult to reach, with my iPhone 6. On hot days, long trips with the phone constantly plugged in, I think it's good to have the phone in front of the air vent to keep it from getting too hot. But otherwise I think it actually makes the phone too cold. At one point on our trip, with my phone in the mount, the battery level dropped suddenly from 16% to 1% and then died. I think it was because the A/C made the phone battery too cold. Perhaps being in front of the flasher switch will be a good compromise for helping keep the phone cool on hot days, but not get so cold as to kill the battery at night or on colder days.

I assume the magnetic holder will keep the phone in place despite going over rough roads or with other vibrations inside the car?

Awesome, I really like the ProClip vent attachment idea, but centered over the flasher button...

Thanks. That just seems like (and is) the exact perfect spot for it.

I assume the magnetic holder will keep the phone in place despite going over rough roads or with other vibrations inside the car?

Its ROCK STEADY, not going anywhere...

Not even a "maybe" could come off due to: bump, pothole, sudden stop, sharp turn, grated road, rail road crossing, mid to large rodent impact, near miss with average bicycle courier, or chance encounter with a fat-bottom'd girl....cause we all know they make the rock'n world go round.

*ahem* I'm a cyclist commuting to work and other rides around 3,500 miles a year, so you better not have any near misses... at least not with me. I'll be smack in your line of sight at all times. :D I can't speak for other cyclists who ride erratically or do stupid stuff.

*ahem* I'm a cyclist ...rides around 3,500 miles a year...so you better not have any near misses...

Please rethink your position...I would MUCH rather have a near miss, than a Spot-on hit!! Also, your safe, as an average bike courier does less than 2500 miles a season!!

Back