Phone Mount Hack for ProClip

BambooBen

:
Mazda, CX-5, 2016 GT Tech
I have been looking for a while for the right phone mount, and have tried a bunch, like a vent mount, dash mount, CD slot mount, etc.
I wasn't completely happy with them I think because I always had to look left and down, taking my eyes off the road. I didn't want to go with a windshield mount because that can block your view as well.
A few folks here mentioned Proclip USA mounts, which has an awesome pillar mount, but I didn't like that they want you to buy their slide in phone mount to go with it, since every time you change phones you have to buy a new $30 part.

So I decided to hack a cheap $5 magnetic mount together with the pillar mount.

I've been using it every day for a month and like it. Barely have to take gaze from the road, magnet is quick and easy, as is changing from landscape to portrait.

This is just a quick guide in case it gives someone else the inspiration to do something different. It only took 5 mins.

Proclip part for CX-5
http://www.proclipusa.com/store/products/proclip-left-mount-804782.aspx

Magnetic vent mount
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
I got it on sale for $5, now $8, but it is generic item and there are a lot around $5 or less.

Mount

of6m9f.jpg

Taken apart with 1 screw

25oxf28.jpg

Back of mount. Turns out the raised area had to be shaved off so the same screw could be used. It is soft plastic so it was easy to shave with a box cutter.

20sdqbq.jpg

This is the pillar mount. I marked from corner to corner to find center and drilled a hole just big enough to pass screw through.

2i7b67k.jpg

taq7f8.jpg

Two parts fitted together

dfvokn.jpg

20p1zxt.jpg

This is the mount in the car. It could go higher or lower on the pillar, but I put it where when the phone is in landscape it won't touch the instrument cluster of the dash

2ujt6v4.jpg

And here it is with the phone

1on802.jpg

153v5li.jpg

Next thing to do is to run the USB cord back through the dash so it comes out somewhere near the base of the pillar. Right now it is working fine laying over the steering wheel.

Great job with the phone mount. For a while I've been resting my iphone 6+ right on the display screen. Its usually stays put unless I do a hard acceleration. I have spare magnetic vent mount laying around and I'll try to do this mod too. Thanks for the writeup.

Awesome idea, thanks for posting! You think this might interfere with airbag at all?

I don't think so. The way it attaches to the pillar if that is where the air bag is located it should just blow it out of the way.
But I thought the airbag was in the side of the seat? Does the CX-5 have side curtain as well?

Really nice - I have been searching for the "right" phone mount as well. Thanks for posting!

On a separate note, is that a steering wheel cover you have as well? If so, which one?

There is an airbag in there...You may have a damaging projectile?

wow...didnt even thing of that...definitely a good idea to find out how that unfurls, and how that pillar clip could hang the phone and mount up just enough to aim it right at your face...ouch...

From what I have seen most side curtain air bags come down from the top of the window or out of the seat. There is a symbol for an airbag up on the door frame about ear level or so and higher. If the bag comes from anywhere around the door window it would blow the phone away from the driver and toward the front windshield. But what would happen to a cell phone after most accidents is up for debate, no matter the attach point, depending on how bad the accident is.

As far as the steering wheel cover, here is a link:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

I turned it around so no red stitching showing.

I actually took pics a while back for another thread someone was asking about covers, but forgot to post them.
I like the cover so far, and is WAY better than the cover I was using before from Autozone or Advance, which was like $15 or so. It goes on really tight and doesn't move. Though it is a good bit thicker of course than stock steering wheel. I would buy it again for another car, and my wife has asked me to see if it would fit her Mazda3.

It looks like when you are above the curve on your side of the pillar you are at risk. Not sure if the pillar cover splits or comes with the bag, if it does you are adding a projectile...

I had similar problems trying to find a mount/ place for my phone. Ended up finding that iOttie has one that is very nice. It can adjust in all sorts of manners and has a "sticky" suction cup that will not mar the dash. Here is my setup: (pictures taken at shoulder height so the phone looks higher than it is at eye level)

Only downside is that occasionally the mount will fall off. Usually only happens as I am trying to put the phone in, I don't think it has ever happend while driving.
It does leave a smooth imprint where it was on the dash, that I presume would fix itself if given some time.

...So I decided to hack a cheap $5 magnetic mount together

Two parts fitted together

dfvokn.jpg

Thanks for posting this hack. Im going to do EXACTLY this, but with the prolclip center dash vent mount (pic below). I may try to mod the vent clip to allow it to NOT cover the air vent, and cover the hazzard button, which i do not use often, and could still get to with a finger in time of need.

I'll post up when I'm done.

854752-e.jpg-800x

that looks awesome and great ingenuity, one question, with that LCD screen so close to the driver side window, do you have any distracting glare or night time reflection on the driver glass that interferes with rear view at night ?

I know my 2016 chrome accent surrounds on the air vents, there's a distracting reflection on the driver side glass right over the rear view mirror even in the daytime !

I haven't noticed any distraction, but will admit I haven't had to use the Maps at night yet, just music and other apps.
I do a ton of night time driving, and turning the dash lights down helps immensely, especially the brightness of the infotainment screen. I think I have the screen brightness on my phone is set to auto, because it is just right brightness while driving at night.

I had to help direct traffic last night at a bear vs auto accident, and I remember thinking "I wonder if their car had had the awesome headlights of my Mazda, would they have seen the bear and not crashed."
They were driving a Saturn SUV, but the lights covers (what was left of them) looked a bit hazy and yellow.
I don't think there were any serious injuries, with all the surrounding airbags deploying. The car was totaled, and just for a slightly happier ending, the bear ran off in the woods. I meant to call wildlife today to see if they went to

This forum is only allowing me to upload 5 pic attachments at a time...very frustrating...

anyway...here's my version of this proclip mod. FANTASTIC...this is the reason we have forums!!

attachment.php

attachment.php

These bends allow this thin metal sheet (included with the aukey kit) to form to the back of my phone (inside the case) for the magnet to catch. Thin and light, its barely noticeable thru the soft Fosmon case on my phone. Theres also a smaller round option in the kit as well, that (in retrospect) would have worked just as well.

attachment.php

Marked where I wanted to Aukey mag-pad to mount on the proclip. I didn't want the pad to high as my phone has the camera lens high on the back, so the metal plate (above) would be on the bottom 2/3rd of the case. So I put the pad low, allowing the phone to sit "centered" on the proclip.

attachment.php

I pulled the silicon vent clip fingers off the back of the proclip and removed the screw to use it to size my drill hole.

attachment.php

** NOTE : I scraped off the raised "proclip" logo sticker as not only would it interfere with the pad mount location, I also didn't want to see it! so I just stuck it on the back side where it wouldn't be seen. The trash would probably have been better!

P1.jpgp2.jpgp3.jpgp4.jpgp5.jpg

Last edited:
so heres post #2 with more pics...

this is the magnetic disc with threaded center. It sits in a rubber pad with a channel cut for it to grip. Very nicely made, and perfect for this mod. I removed the plastic back (bottom of the pic) as its unneeded. The rubber lip will sit (and compress) flush against the proclip base.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I found a longer screw that threaded into the magnetic disc (metric) and used washers to space it back so just what I needed to catch and draw thru was sticking out.

attachment.php

I mounted the PRO CLIP in the center of my vent trim, as I wanted the vents free from obstruction. The proclip works perfectly fine as is, no modification. I did not even remove the backing on the sticky tape located just under the tabs that click into the vent trim. No need. Its very secure and clever mount. Totally worth the money.

attachment.php

p6.jpgp7.jpgp8.jpgp9.jpgp10.jpg

POST #3.... (why the F*#K wont this forum allow you to attach more than 5 files??)

The pro clip does NOT interfere with the operation of the hazards. Just stick your finger back and push on/off as normal. I use the VENT way WAY more than I use the hazard lights!

attachment.php

Finish product!

For me, Its perfectly aligned as to not block or hinder: infotainment, access to cubby, ac/heat vent, air, controls, hazard button, shifter.

I get in the car, and just slap the phone up against it, either portrait or landscape, and it sticks ROCK SOLID. Grab and go when you get out. I use the 12v socket in the arm rest with an aukey 2 amp charger (as the car only provides .5 amp from the console USB) and the wire runs right up the side of the center console and into the phone.

PLUS... I think it looks slick as H3LL!!!

attachment.php

Thank you to the OP for the idea.

p11.jpgp12.jpg

Why the extra plate? Why not just attach the magnet mount right to the part of the pro clip that hooks into the dash part

Why the extra plate?

There is no "extra" plate. The back "c" clamp is welded to the front "flat" plate. Its all a single piece now. See pic below; Everything on the wood block is a single piece.

I believe this is a manufacturing technique that allows them to mold the "C" clamp however best fits the car (both shape and thickness), without having to worry if theres enough flat and properly angled mount area. It also standardizes the interface between the phone attachment (in my case the magnet pad) and the clip.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Back