PG Reworked VS BNR.

Hey there!
Finally installed it on a weekend.
So far I am driving carefully, but what I don't like is a bit of smoke going out of the exhaust. I am paying much attention now on coolant and oil level, hope it is nothing criminal and everything is okey with that. We have done ECU reset, so idle fuel trims are almost zero so far and I am very lean at idle (17.5-18 AFR), previously I had about +18 LTFT on idel and stable 14.8 AFR. So may be this whitish is because of that, shall see.

Concerning performance - after 200-300 miles I will floor the pedal, now trying not to boost over 4-6 psi.

Yeah, this seems to be just the steam from too lean idle. After 2 days it became almost unnoticeable, so looks like everything is okey with it.

PG reworked boosts really nice... So nice that I bent a rod :) Or blew head gasket, whatever happened - now I do need to open the block LOL
The funny thing - I was going today to install new coilovers and cxracing fmic, they were laying in the back

NO MAN!! Sorry.. The smoke is tuff to tell but if it got really heavy it was oil blow by, I pulled the O2 in the DP to see if it was oil. Mine was covered in oil. :(

Hey anm6, thanks for an input, regarding smoke - that was definitely just lean mixture, until my LTFT got relearnt.

Now I am getting the head disassembled on saturday, shall see, how many rods are bent.
Decided to show the PG turbo to my friend, haha, got the full boost on 4th at 3000... Damn, it was the mistake, and I was going to go in Moscow in a fortnight to tune it professionally. My mistake totally.
Well, nevertheless, nice chance to put in forged internals.

Ha-ha, that's it, very well mentioned :)
Now the engine is disassembled, I bent a rod in 4th cylinder. Looks like the mirror is fine, so now we are getting out the crankshaft. Balance shafts are already deleted. Rods and pistons are going to me, shall get them by thursday. Will update here also.

oh jeeze, that sucks man! could be worse though. Atleast you didn't shoot the rod through the block xD seen the aftermath of that in an MS3 a small ways south of me at the shop I go to for tuning... was an oily disgusting mess.

Hey guys!

Yesterday I finally got it after rebuild. It was a long story :)

Cylinder walls were fine, no even a small ellipse, stock honing presented, so now I have Wisecos with standard bore and compression. Changed oil to 5W50 to help new forged pistons. Rods are K1, the most reliable setup :)
k1_arp_bearings.jpg

Balance shafts are deleted, so I took my crankshaft along with single-mass flywheel and clutch, and got it to dynamic balancing machine shop. Had to carry it there by myself as no one helped me :(
crankshaft_flywheel_clutch.jpg

Then we got the motor assembled with all the new stuff - fmic, new aem filter for my intake, thermo-gasket for intake manifold, rewelded also extra-O2 sensor stub to make it fit with exhaust manifold. I know, engine bay is dirty - shall wash it when it gets warmer.
View attachment 183145

Also put coilovers, not very properly set up so far, but anyway. Really have to make my ass higher, don't like the rear view now.

Now driving carefully 2-3K miles, then will change the oil and get that damn protune.

Peace!

Thanks guys! Already put my idles up to 825 instead of stock 700, and now getting HardRace rear mount instead of SU one. I believe vibes will be negligible. Now they are rather anoying ONLY when warming up. SU is too hard.
Single-mass flywheel and BS delete are not so bad! But I properly balanced all the crank with flywheel and clutch.

Also adding photos of two stock rods being bent... Enjoy :)
bent_rod_n3.jpg
bent_rod_n4.jpg

Last edited:
Comment on PG turbos...
Was getting 3 units this winter. 1 for me and 2 for my buddies. Mine one began to smoke hardly (1 liter of oil per 2 days) after 3K miles, so I had to pay for the rebuild. Now it is good enough.
My buddies BOTH are complaining on oil smell (me - too), both are smoking on revving, one began to smoke hardly just as my did. Both sold their MS3 after 2 months of driving on PG turbo :(
I am still using it cause I have no choice, just saving money for another 2871.
So the statistics is poor - 100% of PG turbos here in Russia (3 out of 3) are very bad.

Comment on PG turbos...
Was getting 3 units this winter. 1 for me and 2 for my buddies. Mine one began to smoke hardly (1 liter of oil per 2 days) after 3K miles, so I had to pay for the rebuild. Now it is good enough.
My buddies BOTH are complaining on oil smell (me - too), both are smoking on revving, one began to smoke hardly just as my did. Both sold their MS3 after 2 months of driving on PG turbo :(
I am still using it cause I have no choice, just saving money for another 2871.
So the statistics is poor - 100% of PG turbos here in Russia (3 out of 3) are very bad.
That truly sucks about the PG reworked! Good decision about saving for the 2871!

My buddy here had 2871 installed after rebuild, but tiny metallic dust from piston rings made it broken, because oil with that micro-tiny pieces were ciculating allover and made bearing and shaft feel bad.
So don't install totally new turbo on a fresh internals, don't double our faults :)

My buddy here had 2871 installed after rebuild, but tiny metallic dust from piston rings made it broken, because oil with that micro-tiny pieces were ciculating allover and made bearing and shaft feel bad.
So don't install totally new turbo on a fresh internals, don't double our faults :)
Good info and advice!

Back