Painting rear valence tomarrow...need advice

Demo

:
2002 Mazda Protege 5
Im painting my rear valence black tomarrow...Im interested in adding 2-3 layers of clearcoat. Good or bad idea? Any other tips, advice, or suggestions are welcome...

Thanks
Demo

Attachments

• Photo0090redo.jpg
    Photo0090redo.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 275
you double posted by mistake but to answer your question, I don't see why it would be a bad idea. Just make sure to wait 24 hrs before applying the clear. If you apply it soon after the paint, it will make it eventually crack.

Sorry, Im sort of new to this using forums. Anyway of deleting it?

For somethings that small, should 2 layers be enough?

lol I have no idea how to delete it. Maybe the moderators will take care of it. It really isn't a biggie. I think 2 coats should be enough. Of clear though not the paint.

Welcome to the forums btw!

i wouldn't do it. i like the smooth look of one color bumpers, just get the bumper scratch guard if you want contrast. factory paint owns ALL!!

Just make sure to wait 24 hrs before applying the clear. If you apply it soon after the paint, it will make it eventually crack.

never heard that one before.. more like wait 20 mins before you apply the clear coat and 10 or so between coats depending on the temp where you paint it and if your using strait clear or ruduced like fast or medium reducer.. if you wait 24 hrs before you put clear on your going to have to wet sand the whole thing down real well, then clear it.. or the clear will flake off.. since the base coat and clear cannot bond together as one is dry.. even if you wet sand it there still a chance.. and id suggest a plastic adheasen promoter before the primer if you take it down to the plastic.. U-tech Dupont Duplicolor all have been good to me.. ive had bad luck with Crossfire...

good luck.. post pics!!!

Edit.. what type of paint do you plan on using?? your not going to rattle can it are you??
JT

Last edited:
you double posted by mistake but to answer your question, I don't see why it would be a bad idea. Just make sure to wait 24 hrs before applying the clear. If you apply it soon after the paint, it will make it eventually crack.
Ummm..No.
Waiting 24 hours or more will cause ou adhesion problems if anything depending on what type of paint you are using..Cracking will be your LAST worry.

i wouldn't do it. i like the smooth look of one color bumpers, just get the bumper scratch guard if you want contrast. factory paint owns ALL!!
I agree here...The black lip on the Midnight Blue will not stand out like on a lighter color car and IMHO will not look good.

I say leave it alone..you will be better off in the long run and it looks better on that color to have it Monchromatic(one color).

That's perfectly fine. You do know a lot more about painting than I do. I just thought that was true. No need to be a dick about it.

I wasn't being a DIck..show me where I was.
I just wanted to give out some proper info..that is all.
Not meant to be "dick'ish" if you thought it was.
Sorry. :(

It's all good man. it just kinda seemed like you were.
i guess forums have a tendency to do that tho with the whole tone of voice deal taken out.

In that case, no harm done. :D

I think clearcoat would look good on your valence if you do paint it. The glossy look would fit better with your rims and taillights than flat black.

Update....Heres some photos of my ride.:D

I used Duplicolor semi-gloss paint for the rear valence. I wasnt too sure about adding clear coat, so i didnt. I went with 2 coats of paint and I think it turned out pretty good. (cabpatch)Not too noticable on midnight blue but adds a little bit of flavor to it.

(Working on the bumper guard later Thursday, just waiting for my Black WOW to arrive. Hopefully it helps)

Attachments

• P1010044.JPG
    P1010044.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 176
  • P1010053.JPG
    P1010053.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 188
  • P1010054.JPG
    P1010054.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 139
  • P1010057.JPG
    P1010057.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 161
  • P1010059.JPG
    P1010059.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 147
This is the paint I used....not bad for a first time painter.
:D

Attachments

• paint.jpg
    paint.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 150
Heres a few better pictures from earlier today....

Attachments

• Photo0106.jpg
    Photo0106.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 164
  • Photo0107.jpg
    Photo0107.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 169
Demo I think I hear you car screaming "LOWER ME!!!!" :D

LOL, I know! I knew someone was gonna say it!:rolleyes:

Ive only had the car for 3 months tops....but suspension is my next task with the eibach pro kit and tokico blues. Not bad though for buying it stock....

oh wow you got a good bit done there in 3 months.

I'm actually buying a pair of blues here on tuesday off a forum member. I got sprint springs and I think that one of my struts is blown. (Stock)

Make sure to post pics when you get the setup :D

oh wow you got a good bit done there in 3 months.

I'm actually buying a pair of blues here on tuesday off a forum member. I got sprint springs and I think that one of my struts is blown. (Stock)

Make sure to post pics when you get the setup :D

I will do....(thumb) My progress rear sway bar is waiting to be put on also, just figured id do it all at once.

Back