P5 Interior is crap....

mines is still good --- 30k miles

the only time it rattles it when i have the stereo turned up -- hehehe

cable43 said:
other than a rattle in the spioler i got no complaints

Same with me (only when the stereo is up a lot)... I think the interior is great. No complaints!

pro5maniac said:
i love how most of the interioir is just plastic...i swapped out the tails to jdm tails and well to say the least i had to gut out the whole trunk and take so many clips out and so much plastic crap.....CHEAP but you get what you pay for...besides that i have nothing to complain about our cars..except needs more power but forced induction will take care of that

Just plastic? What did you want, hand rubbed wood? It isn't a Lexus at this price point. A 350Z is plastic inside. So is a Corvette, and almost all other cars. At 52K miles my sedan is almost completely rattle free, and I'll fix that as soon as it warms up with the spring maint. I've had several people sit in my stock Pro and guess I paid $20-22K. For the $13,800 I paid I'd say the interior is very nice, and isn't the cheap looking hard crappy plastic in a lot of sub-$20K cars. Plenty of expensive cars that look cheap inside. I don't think the Protege does.

Last edited:
My p5 doesn't rattle, but it does have a whistle at speeds over 55, and I don't think it's the tranny cause I coasted down a wicked hill, hit about 70 in neutral, I think it's the fresh air vent or wiper blades.

my 98 pro es shakes and rattles, but she's older so it's to be expected.

LRHK said:
Same with me (only when the stereo is up a lot)... I think the interior is great. No complaints!

dude, you can kill spoiler rattle with a $3.50 roll of weatherstripping

SkinnyJoint said:
whoa i just started noticing this like couple days ago my driver side window lke constintly rattles its not loud at all or nething but definalty i can hear it so this is a common thing?

I dont know if it's a common thing... but I've been to the dealer about 5 times for this and they have no clue how to fix it... It's freaking irattating!

protejay5 said:
dude, you can kill spoiler rattle with a $3.50 roll of weatherstripping

yeah, the only time I hear it is when I'm outside the car.... I shouldn't be outside the car when I am driving anyways! lol I'll probably fix it sometime.

Would a lexus is300 have a considerably quieter interior?

and btw, the appearance of a stock P5 interior is GREAT for the money. There is very little black plastic that runs rampant in all american vehicles. I rode in my friends new chrysler 300 and the whole center console is cheap black plastic. The rattles can be killed with some patience and weather stripping.

I find the interior of the P5 quite good. I put dynamat extreme inside the front and rear doors and that has completely killed all rattles. I only have one rattle coming from the aftermarker headunit that I installed (probably due to my limited install skills ).

Overall I find the interior of the P5 better than other cars in this class (Sentra, Civic, Corolla, Matrix, Vibe) with the exception of the Mazda3.

for those of you that have wierd rattles from the doors ---

i one time had a soft rattle -- just loud enough to annoy me and i found out that it was just the lock ---- go figure

not the handle -- but the stubb up by the window ---

just my 2 cents :)

creednet69 said:
I was just wondering if anyone had the same opinion as me when it comes to the Protege5's interior.

I think it was put together my 12 year old or something. I had the car for a year now and lots of interior parts are rattling. ei: Driver window when lowered half way (over bumps), dashboard... etc...

Anyone else have the same problems?

cheap car - cheap parts. You didn't expect the interior of a bmw, did you?

I have to say that between my '02 P5 and my '99 Civic Si, the Si has the nicer interior. It has 90K and not a single rattle or squeak. The only issue I ever had was a result of the sunroof gasket causing a squeak over uneven terrain. This is easily corrected by opening and then closing the roof. As far as the P5 goes, I've only had it for about a month but it rattles everywhere. As soon as it warms up I will put a stop to it!

mine is a rattlebox :(

edit: damn I get negative rep for saying I have a rattling interior. adds insult to injury (screwy)

Last edited:
Hey guys! Only the rear spoiler rattles from the bass pumpin it up. Otherwise there's minor noises when it's really cold outside. Overall, you've got to admit that it's pretty damn easy to customize, repair, or tamper with the p5 to make it suit your needs. I think so anyway. That's another thing I love about my car!

GOZA5 said:
Hey guys! Only the rear spoiler rattles from the bass pumpin it up. Otherwise there's minor noises when it's really cold outside. Overall, you've got to admit that it's pretty damn easy to customize, repair, or tamper with the p5 to make it suit your needs. I think so anyway. That's another thing I love about my car!

And since this forum rocks, here is a how-to thread to stop that dang rattle!
http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43790

Traitohound helped me with mine. Took 20 minutes. Just be very careful not to drop one of the nuts into one of the slots. Very difficult to fish out. I did that, took a tiny telescoping magnet to retreive the thing.

creednet69 said:
I was just wondering if anyone had the same opinion as me when it comes to the Protege5's interior.

I think it was put together my 12 year old or something. I had the car for a year now and lots of interior parts are rattling. ei: Driver window when lowered half way (over bumps), dashboard... etc...

Anyone else have the same problems?

P5's interior is one of the best in its class, except some interior pieces like the silver plastic shiat. Have you ever been in a Cavalier??? or Neon???

RedKatanax9 said:
P5's interior is one of the best in its class, except some interior pieces like the silver plastic shiat. Have you ever been in a Cavalier??? or Neon???

or saturn. nissan's interiors are not nice, too!

Don't know if anyone covered it but the rattle behind the dash is actually right infront of me, the clear plastic cover over the gauges likes to jiggle around alot, and since the hot weather hit my door panels make this annoying clicking noise over bumps, it sounds like its the handles. Oh, and the hatch clip on mine fell off again so the annoying rattle is back. One of these days I'm just gonna rip it all apart armed with bundles of weather stripping and go to work.

Back