Outsourcing Parts?

:
2018 CX-9 SIGNATURE
Does anyone know if the current, non-Ford Mazdas contain any outsourced parts that are in the main components like engine, drivetrain, frame, electric system, etc? If so, where are they made?

Again, this applies to the newer Mazda models only.

I know certain plastic pieces and other accessory items like luggage covers are made in China. These aren't my concern.

What say ye? Please source your info, thanks.

Does anyone know if the current, non-Ford Mazdas contain any outsourced parts that are in the main components like engine, drivetrain, frame, electric system, etc? If so, where are they made?

Again, this applies to the newer Mazda models only.

I know certain plastic pieces and other accessory items like luggage covers are made in China. These aren't my concern.

What say ye? Please source your info, thanks.

When you say "outsourced parts" are you talking Component Manufacturing & Fabrication or strict Component Design?

When you say "outsourced parts" are you talking Component Manufacturing & Fabrication or strict Component Design?

I hadn't thought about it that way and I'm not sure I understand the question... sorry!

Maybe this: Are Chinese labor and materials used to formulate and assemble any major Mazda parts?

Forget plastic pieces, mud flaps, luggage covers, knobs, buttons and the like Cessna... I'm talking about major components like metals for engine, frame, axle, suspension and drivetrain etc. Thanks.

I know, probably clear as mud...

Interested in this as well, unfortunately I have no information. Are you asking in the hopes of sourcing cheaper replacement parts directly from the supplier?

If you are curious, this would be a good question to ask Mazda directly.

There are so many sub-assemblies and sub-components, it can become a pretty "GLOBAL" vehicle.

The window sticker on the vehicle will list the overall parts content origin information %.

The current Japan assembled Mazda's I looked at, (depending on vehicle), the window stickers show 85-95% JAPAN. So I would love to see where the other % is from...
2017 Mazda6 showed 95% Japan
2018 CX-3 showed 85% Japan

Now the 2018 Mazda3 which is now made in Mexico, shows only 20% Japan content.. 5% US/Canada, and 65% Mexico

Last edited:
Interested in this as well, unfortunately I have no information. Are you asking in the hopes of sourcing cheaper replacement parts directly from the supplier?

No, that's not the goal.

I've heard that Mazda is "Japan built." Assembly videos I've seen don't contradict that. I'm just curious exactly where the major components are made.

A analogous thought might be: "Regarding the pile of sheet metal blanks used to shape the outside of a CX-9... Did those come from Japan?"

I can't believe I'm saying this about an auto dealership in general but I have a GREAT Mazda dealer near me. I'll try to find out more from the head honcho. He's an intelligent, super nice guy. I'll report back.

I hadn't thought about it that way and I'm not sure I understand the question... sorry!

Mazda, may own the patent on a design they brought into existence. Yet, it can (and will) have the manufacturing contracted elsewhere. Subsequent component assembly (itself) could indeed be done with an additional third-party (though it does not have to) and final assembly (will most likely) take place at a Mazda plant.

Globalization connects economies and as a purely practical matter makes production more efficient in certain ways (that can be a good thing and it could be a bad thing). That's why I asked the question. Sometime people don't take the entirety of the supply chain into consideration when they ask such questions. There are many different companies and countries involved in bringing a vehicle to market. Products containing a large number of finished components (these days) are hardly ever produced under a single roof top.

For example, Mazda, designed a new Torque Converter for the Transmission that is used in the new CX-9. It is there design. However, I'm almost positive that at least some of its components come from a list (large or small) of various manufacturers. For reasons of national economic support, Mazda may restrict or require that those components be produced only in Japan (I don't know this is the case for certain, just giving an example of how it might work).

So, does your CX-9 Torque Converter come from Mazda? Yes, and no. [in the scenario given above] Is it Japanese designed and built? Absolutely, yes.

To get the truth of the matter, you would have to contact Mazda and ask them for a list of their component manufacturers (if they would even give it to you). For basic hardware that gets continually reused throughout the product line, they will have a list of Parts Suppliers. However, Component Manufacturing is a different animal and I don't know if you can get access to that information from the outside. I've never tried, but it would be interesting to find out - now that you bring up the question.

Last edited:
Back