Opinion needed: Possibly reverting back to a Speed 6 or something similar from 08 g37

desertmike680

:
06 MazdaSpeed 6
So in December I spontaneously traded in my 06 speed 6 for a 2008 Infiniti g37 (fully loaded mind you and a cert pre owned) with 36k on the tach for $28,500. The main reason for trading in my speed 6 (eventhough I loved my speed 6 and it ran flawlessly at 58k), was the fact of avoiding needed repairs in the future, since it was out of warranty and the fact that I've had it for 3 years and that the time has come for something different. With that, my monthly payment only rose 130 dollars (which is definitely worth it), but I cant help but think that I would have been better off keeping the speed 6, and seeing what happens in the future. So now, I'm thinking; what makes more sense from a financial perspective? Keep the g37 with an awesome warranty and paying a little more a month (hence I did get an amazing apr too) or revert back to a speed 6 or something similiar thats turbo with about 40 to 50 k on the tach, in which payments a month would drop, but the warranty wouldnt be so hot.

Just seeing what you guys think. I love the g37, but one has to always wonder what makes more sense at times.

If I was in your position, I would start looking at the new STi? Brand new they can be found for $34,000 MSRP, or maybe even a used one? And best of all you'd be getting a 0 miles car, with FULL warranty, yea your payments would go up, but with a fresh engine and FULL warranty, I think it would be worth it, especially with the performance of the STi...just my opinion anyway, only you know how you stand financially, so do what you think is best.
Also, you say you are paying $130 more per month for the G37, when you think about it, thats money you could have used towards any future repairs needed for the Speed6..

Im just waiting for one of those heavy hitting repair bills on the speed6...once it happenes, the next day im walking into a Subaru dealership, and hopefully walking out with an STi. But I did get an extended bumper to bumper warranty from GM when I bought my Speed6 from a non-mazda dealership, great warranty, covered my repair for a new left rear axle, and new diff mounts, so i'll just ride that warranty out, and hope for the best after that.

I'd live with the G37 for at least a little while before making another impulse decision. I mean there must have been a reason you traded in the first place, right? It's easy to get bored with your car, especially seeing what other people are doing and buying, but unless you can keep swapping cars for little or no cost, I'd have to say its a waste of money. Figure out what you really want and stick with it. What do you miss about the Speed that the Infiniti doesn't have? What do you want out of your car ultimately?

I do like the new STi sedans and the BMW 335 sedans a lot, but if you trade again for that at another small monthly increase, you'll have a substantial increase over what you used to be paying. If that means you'll be happy on the road (until you get bored again?) but miserable because now you can't get that new 60" plasma, or finish your basement, or whatever it may be, then maybe it isn't worth it. I guess it all comes down to what's most important to you.

It all depends on how long you want to keep your ride and how long you take to pay it. A paid car allows you to put money aside for repairs, making the warranty discussion irrelevant (plus collecting interest). Turbo cars have the risk of turbos going bad over time (although Mazda extended the warranty on the 6 to 7 years or 140k km in Canada, so less of a concern), so the potential of having to spend some serious money is higher, so I never consider keeping a turbo car for very long periods. I agree with OJ Bartley, you need to asses what's important for you and what's your tolerance to warranty risk.

I'm in the same situation of wanting to sell my car or trade for a used evo x GSR or a new mustang gt with the 5.0 and the brembo package, but then I think am o going to be happy with either of those cars for 3 4 years? I love my Mazda but I'm at 48300 miles and as I put more miles on and time goes by it's loosing value. I was about to get an evo but after I did sone research on te evoxforums I found out alot of 08 have problems like our mps6. Clutch throw is like 80 percent out, fuel pump problems to name a few and turbos going bad on low mileage ones too. So I'm waiting if I can get a brand new mustang gt with the brembo pkg. For around 30k almost what the evo costs used with 7500mile

Personally I would keep the g37 because it might be cheaper on the long run since it's not turbo or awd which repairs could be alot more.

Right, same notion I had. As time goes by, mileage obviously increases, loosing value, out of warranty. It almost seemed like a no brainer to purchase a cert pre owned, with a few more features as opposed to the Speed 6 and have a sweet car under warranty. Again, I could have drove my speed 6 until it fell apart or needed a lot of repairs, but in the same regards this seems to make more sense. My previous car which was a 2004 sentra spec v, needed 3000 in repairs at 88k. So I thought, I am not spending the money its getting traded in for a speed 6. And after that, the car was been near flawless. However, I wanted to avoid hitting that point of supposadely needing costly repairs and decided to jump the gun on it and purchase a car which was covered. Now I could have gotten something cheaper and a little more practical, but when you have the features of the speed 6, you want to same or better. I mean, go figure!

Yeah being a car aficionado costs money you just gotta go with what you can afford and what you desire, I had an eclipse gt had it five years sold it with 120000 miles after I had put like 5k in replacing all brakes, exhaust,shocks,clutch,timingbelt,waterpump,plugs and wires, valve covers because they warped, and aside from that all the mods I put in it, sold with the car. So I ended with my speed6 because at the time tree weren't any good deals on the evo X, love my speed six but I don't want to have to put the same amount of money into it if I plan on selling it this year, only repairs have been new tires and rear brakes, other then that drives like new with 48k on it.

Back