On the water...

The only thing I got so far was the cargo cover and cargo tray. I ordered the WeatherTech floor matts. I think that's all I'll be doing for now. I think the hitch will be in the near future.

Ah, so those didn't take any time at the port. Load 'em up and move 'em out.

Hi all, I just bought a new CX-5 today and so excited! The one that I wanted was sold last night, but the dealer told me that there is one coming into port tomorrow and should be here in a few days. Reading some of the very lengthy delivery delays on this forum has me worried he was just telling me that to make the sell. He did give me a VIN number and we wrote him a check for the full purchase price (not a deposit-the full price) which made me feel like he was probably telling the truth. But I'm a bit worried that "a few days" will turn into weeks/months. Any thoughts? And is there really no way to track location by VIN?

Hi all, I just bought a new CX-5 today and so excited! The one that I wanted was sold last night, but the dealer told me that there is one coming into port tomorrow and should be here in a few days. Reading some of the very lengthy delivery delays on this forum has me worried he was just telling me that to make the sell. He did give me a VIN number and we wrote him a check for the full purchase price (not a deposit-the full price) which made me feel like he was probably telling the truth. But I'm a bit worried that "a few days" will turn into weeks/months. Any thoughts? And is there really no way to track location by VIN?

Yes, use the Mazda-US website, "Search Inventory" tab (it shows VIN). That's how I found my CX-5 was on its way to a dealership a few days before actual arrival.

Thanks! I'm searching high and low on the Search Inventory section and don't see a VIN tab anywhere. I only see options to search by zip code, city/state, and dealer name. I'm normally good with this stuff, so I'm baffled why I can't find it... Thanks in advance for the help!

Thanks! I'm searching high and low on the Search Inventory section and don't see a VIN tab anywhere. I only see options to search by zip code, city/state, and dealer name. I'm normally good with this stuff, so I'm baffled why I can't find it... Thanks in advance for the help!

When you find the actual car you are interested in (because it's your model/color/options, dealership, etc.), then you click view vehicle details which shows VIN for that specific car only. I don't think there is a VIN tab.

Last edited:
When you find the actual car you are interested in (because it's your model/color/options, dealership, etc.), then you click view vehicle details which shows VIN for that specific car only. I don't think there is a VIN tab.

aha! Thanks! I'm crossing my fingers that the dealer wasn't fibbing when telling me it will be off the boat and at the dealer in just a few days.

aha! Thanks! I'm crossing my fingers that the dealer wasn't fibbing when telling me it will be off the boat and at the dealer in just a few days.

Do you see your CX-5? You should be able to identify the vehicle by it's model (Sport, Touring, Grand Touring), exterior and interior colors and options coming to your specific dealership.

Do you see your CX-5? You should be able to identify the vehicle by it's model (Sport, Touring, Grand Touring), exterior and interior colors and options coming to your specific dealership.

No, don't see it. You think that's a good sign or bad sign?

No, don't see it. You think that's a good sign or bad sign?

Interesting. It should be there, unless they are getting it from another dealership (they should of told you that). And you should still be able to find it going to the other dealership.

If you have a VIN, don't worry. I assume he showed you a printout or screen shot.

Last edited:
Interesting. It should be there, unless they are getting it from another dealership (they should of told you that). And you should still be able to find it going to the other dealership.

If you have a VIN, don't worry. I assume he showed you a printout or screen shot.

Thanks. He did give me a VIN, but it's hand-written on the sales contract. No printout or screen shot. And he was very specific that it was on a cargo ship that was supposedly set to come into port tomorrow.

I had my VIN number and it took a few days after the ship arrived at port for my car to show up in inventory on the Mazda website. I would wait a few days and check. Also, depending on any accessories, like tow hitch, and how far the port is from your dealer it can take at least a week for the car to make it to your dealership from port.

I've been checking the search inventory section on the mazdausa.com site religiously and still no inventory matches my VIN. I'm now just 3 days away from (supposedly) having my CX-5 at the dealership. It hasn't helped that for the last day or so I keep getting error messages on the mazda site when searching inventory, saying that "The Search Inventory system is undergoing maintenance. Please try back later." Ugh. Spoke with salesman yesterday and he said he's "working on it" which still leaves me feeling awfully vague about whether or not it will actually arrive in time. Crossing my fingers.

update: with less than 24 hours to go before delivery..... just as feared. salesman calls to say "oh, sorry, there was a storm that the boat got stuck in and so it's not here yet." no ETA. Story sounds a bit fishy, and I find it odd that he didn't have any update until *just* before supposed delivery time. I'm not sure if I should just ask for a refund altogether and go elsewhere or not. If he's telling the truth, I don't want to unfairly punish him other than to be annoyed that he couldn't have updated me earlier. On the other hand, if he's fibbing, then who knows what else they are fibbing out...

update: with less than 24 hours to go before delivery..... just as feared. salesman calls to say "oh, sorry, there was a storm that the boat got stuck in and so it's not here yet." no ETA. Story sounds a bit fishy, and I find it odd that he didn't have any update until *just* before supposed delivery time. I'm not sure if I should just ask for a refund altogether and go elsewhere or not. If he's telling the truth, I don't want to unfairly punish him other than to be annoyed that he couldn't have updated me earlier. On the other hand, if he's fibbing, then who knows what else they are fibbing out...

Any sign of the vehicle on website now?... Yes, what storm?

He didn't tell me the name of the boat. Actually, I just got a message and didn't talk to him direct. I called him back and am waiting for him to return my call. Of course, I notice the check has already been processed (not sure if it's fully cleared yet) so I can't just move on to another dealer without a huge ordeal. Ugh. Tracking the ship is a good idea, hopefully he can tell me when I get ahold of him. I wonder if there are restrictions on cashing the check (for the full amount, not just a deposit) and not delivering. I'll have to read the sales slip, I think it said 30 days or something but am not sure.

Ours is "on a boat" too and should be here on the 17th. I only put $500 on a credit card so I could dispute the charge if they start pulling anything funny.

Spoke with the dealer manager today who said it should be here in "a few days." I asked for name of ship and he said "I'll call you Monday" but he did offer that the ship left Japan May 11 and was supposed to be in New York on June 3. I wonder if I can figure out the ship with that info. On the other hand, how would he have had that info without also seeing the ship name?

Last edited:
Update: dealer called, very nice and apologetic. He will get back to me with the name of the ship, and even asked how I even knew such info! I told him about this site, he seemed genuinely interested and intrigued that someone could find out such info. :) He said that he even wanted the tracking site for himself as they are often they are the mercy of the regional managers just giving them general info, so he is interested to know more detailed info as well. Hopefully I'll have the name of the ship in the next hour or so. This is why I love sites like this! :)

Back