Okay guys, I need some help staying focused.

1st MP3 in NH said:
I don't think I could drive a car called a Rabbit and still feel straight :D!

No prob, more Playboy for me....;) :D

I didn't say I would mind driving a young lady called a bunny!
Sign me up for that please!

They do have a very agressive racing seat, who the manufacture is I don't know but they are not a typical seat as they have massive side supports, I actualy found them comfortable.

Premium Cloth High-Back Bucket Seats
this is what dodge lists
However, I just found one more little goodie that escaped my attention, 160-Ampere Alternator!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1st MP3 in NH said:
Premium Cloth High-Back Bucket Seats
this is what dodge lists
However, I just found one more little goodie that escaped my attention, 160-Ampere Alternator!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

012scc_dodge12_zoom.jpg

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/roadtests/012scc_dodge/

You know what? I would still get the speed! :D

Well the SRT/4 does have a much better cup holder then the MSP!
(rofl) (rofl)

On the Neon debate:
A Neon is a Neon, no matter how you dress it up!
I guess I can't stand Neons! I find them ugly, I find that they are cheap looking inside (just like an Eclipse). Now I am also going on 1999-2001 Neons and Eclipses. If they have changed dramatically (which I don't think that they have) then my opinion my be dated. Still Neons have horrible crash ratings. And though many people here probably don't consider that as a big deal, I do. I can't really say how up to date I am on Mazda, but I am pretty sure their crash rating is better than Neons!
As for the interior of a WRX. I always liked my interior to the 2001 Impreza I had (very similar if not the same). The only thing I had a big issue with was the cup holder above the radio.
In fact, to tell the truth the only complaints I had from owning a Subaru are: the cup holder (it sucks) and not have intermitten windshield wipers (still don't have). Beyond that I love the car (except for having 2 doors instead of 4! That really isn't so much of an issue except having a baby in the back gets pretty hectic!)
My opinion is go with the car that gets you stoked! (Now I am not talking THE CAR that turns ya on - for me it is still Lamborgini - Diablo!) Go with a car that you enjoy being in. A car that you find versitile, one that makes a statement and a car that you know you won't want to get rid of!

To add to this:

The Neon is smaller on the inside, and it looks like you would bump shoulders when shifting...

You need ROOM to breath, well unless you got a Victoria's Secret model sitting next to you..... I would be missing shifts all day to get a grab at some leg ;) :D

funnylittleman: In regards to the Neon, I know it's a beast for straight line drag racing, but to me that seems to be all it is. An engine does not make a car. I'll leave mine to some kid who wants to wrap himself around a telephone pole and help pour a little chlorine in the gene pool. I tend to agree with you on the Automobile Mag comparo. They're not slow times by any means, but they're certainly not accurate for the MSP.

PA_MP3_Man: Yes, I'd prefer it to be new. With rates as low as they are, financing a new car is often times much cheaper than buying something used. Also, I'm going to be paying for a number of other things (a ring most prominately), so I don't really have the time/money to be paying to maintain the car (read: solid warranty). Otherwise I'd be all over an e36 M3. :cool: The 6 is an awesome car, but for what I want as far as options, it's a bit too expensive. It's also made at the same plant as my Cougar was (and shares a number of basic components), which doesn't inspire confidence that it'll be well built. Used WRXs scare me. Short of finding an old man or woman who only drove it to work and back, I'd be REALLY suspicious of what kind of abuse the car had taken in such a short time. And I can't say I wouldn't abuse it a little myself, so longevity is a concern.

1stMP3iNH: You don't know the meaning of a bad cupholder until you've experienced the Cougar's two doozies. The front cup-spiller has dumped 3 medium to large drinks in my lap (has been restricted to Coke cans only now) and the rear (has rubber "hands" to hold the cup steady) has ripped the bottom of 4 styrofoam cups filled with slushies. THat one has been restricted to paper cups and cans only. :mad:

Slipstream said:
funnylittleman: In regards to the Neon, I know it's a beast for straight line drag racing, but to me that seems to be all it is. An engine does not make a car. I'll leave mine to some kid who wants to wrap himself around a telephone pole and help pour a little chlorine in the gene pool. I tend to agree with you on the Automobile Mag comparo. They're not slow times by any means, but they're certainly not accurate for the MSP.

Ok this is just :bs:
The SRT/4 has all but matched or bested the MSP in the handling and braking numbers throughout the different reviewers results. Its close enough where the driver will determin which does better in those tests. The only real diffecnece is the supposed feel the MSP gives that the SRT/4 does not. I will find out how accurate that is when I drive the SRT/4.

As for cup holder, you don't know bad until you have driven in a 97 tuarus wagon! THE CUP HOLDER HAS NO BACK. You accelerate and get drenched. Car had nutz though. Handed a few Civics there ass on the highway very funny actualy.

1st MP3 in NH said:
Ok this is just :bs:
The SRT/4 has all but matched or bested the MSP in the handling and braking numbers throughout the different reviewers results. Its close enough where the driver will determin which does better in those tests. The only real diffecnece is the supposed feel the MSP gives that the SRT/4 does not. I will find out how accurate that is when I drive the SRT/4.

If it actually comes down to which "feels" better, than I'll take the one that "feels" better. To put it very bluntly, I don't like the Neon. Period. It's ugly, it's offensive, it's a Neon (flame me if you must, but I stand by it), it's loud, and it's American. I don't want one, and I refuse to hop on the bandwagon and become an SRT sack-rider, especially given the problems they're already experiencing (check out SRTForums.com for more details).

The one thing that truely has me hung up on the MSP is the safety issue. I did some reading up on both the Protege forums and VW's forum, and the GTI is a veritable TANK compared to the Protege. What sticks out most clearly in my mind is a member by the name of Kincaid (both here and that other place). He was T-boned in his Protege at 60kph and was put into a 2 week coma and went through months and months of recovery therapy. That, for a 35mph (ish) accident! Pictures of his car showed heavy footwell intrusion for the driver, and luckily for him he had an automatic... I can't imagine what his leg would look like if he had a clutch to press. :(

Slipstream said:

If it actually comes down to which "feels" better, than I'll take the one that "feels" better. To put it very bluntly, I don't like the Neon. Period. It's ugly, it's offensive, it's a Neon (flame me if you must, but I stand by it), it's loud, and it's American. I don't want one, and I refuse to hop on the bandwagon and become an SRT sack-rider, especially given the problems they're already experiencing (check out SRTForums.com for more details).

The one thing that truely has me hung up on the MSP is the safety issue. I did some reading up on both the Protege forums and VW's forum, and the GTI is a veritable TANK compared to the Protege. What sticks out most clearly in my mind is a member by the name of Kincaid (both here and that other place). He was T-boned in his Protege at 60kph and was put into a 2 week coma and went through months and months of recovery therapy. That, for a 35mph (ish) accident! Pictures of his car showed heavy footwell intrusion for the driver, and luckily for him he had an automatic... I can't imagine what his leg would look like if he had a clutch to press. :(

Hold up there sparky :D! (jokes to creat humorus mood)
I never said anything other then your statement about its handling was wrong. Thats it. i did not endorse it in any way or flame you.

Thanks for the SRT link, I fun it funny they have an entire forum just for problems. Great fun. No clunk but everyones ECU throwing random codes is funny stuff.

Slipstream said:

I thought Mazda's had an okay safety rating. I know that VW's, Subaru's and Volvo's (along with Beamers etc) have excellent ratings. But I am pretty sure that I read about the safety rating on Mazda Protege's. In fact to explain where I get some of my information - I read an article in Parents magazine. They stated it was a great car. It was one of their main picks!
I am not sure if you should make your decision solely based on his accident. I would suggest researching a little more on that.
Also, I don't know if this makes a difference about your feelings for VW but I have heard that they always have a lot of electrical problems.

Other memebers have done several rolls in there cars and walked away!

The car is sound but every car has its week points.

1st MP3 in NH said:
Hold up there sparky :D! (jokes to creat humorus mood)
I never said anything other then your statement about its handling was wrong. Thats it. i did not endorse it in any way or flame you.

Thanks for the SRT link, I fun it funny they have an entire forum just for problems. Great fun. No clunk but everyones ECU throwing random codes is funny stuff.

I wasn't getting upset, but so many people I talk to try and ramrod the SRT down my throat. Therefore, I try and squelch the noise before it starts. :) Yeah, does the fact that they have a dedicated "Problems" section indicate what is sure to come? The Cougar forums have a problem section, and it's as highly visited as any of the other sections. :(

Cirielle: No, I'm certainly not basing my entire decision on his accident alone, but that one stands out as one that rattles my confidence a bit. There are freak accidents no matter what the car, but also bringing in the IIHS's testing of the Protege sort of confirms this. Link is below.

IIHS crash test ratings for '99-03 Mazda Protege

I would just worry about driving a VW and the Wheel flying off with all the strange things going wrong with those cars!

Back