oil leaking, maybe power steering... maybe not.

Rusty

:
2002 Protege5 - silver
Hi people, long time no see. Not since my timing belt job last year anyway. That's because my '02 P5 has never ever broken anything... until now. I saw oil underneath it today and took a look. It was all over the bottom splash pan and dripped off of that. There is no oil on the belts or pulleys, timing cover, head, head cover, the oil plug is dry and so is the area under the filter, as well as the rest of the engine. The dipstick reads full. All good things.

But there is oil all over the rubber in the top motor mount and puddled at the base of it and under the power steering hoses. It looks like it puddled up there and ran down the inside metal of the wheel well and puddled on the splash pan until it dripped through one of the holes. It's black like dirty engine oil, but my engine oil is only medium brown. The power steering reservoir is at the full mark, cold, and the hoses and connectors are dry. the outside and bottom of the reservoir is dry, but there are splatters everywhere in that area for about 8 inches around.

I cleaned the engine compartment last week, so it has to have happened since then. That's one good thing about being obsessively clean under the hood.(yes) I think I heard a pop(can't really describe it, but it was as short as a pop) while turning a corner this morning. Not the sound of a steering, suspension, or axle noise. With all the splattering, which is somewhat dry now, it's like it spit up all over itself and then kept on going normally.

I got my wife to turn the wheels from lock to lock and bump it at each end while i watched the PS hoses, and no drips. I cleaned the main puddle so I can see if it comes back just sitting or driving.

Has anyone ever seen this? Anything I haven't thought of? I'm open to ideas.

Thanks,
Rusty

maybe coolant from the heater core and it just looks black. check the hoses and core behind the enging against the firewall.

There's nothing splattered behind the engine, firewall is clean and dry Nothing has been slung onto the underside of the hood either. I dipped my finger in the small puddle on the carport floor and there is no doubt it's oil, but not any smell that I could tell. It looks like old oil, really dark but still slick. The coolant is fresh and green. I forgot to mention it has a 5 speed, so no transmission cooling lines to the front. It's all right around where the top motor mount bolts down and to the front side of that.

I'll get some pictures tomorrow.

Is this your passenger side engine mount? If you're on stock mounts, could it be that the mount has ruptured and leaked the fluid that was inside it? I know some mounts are liquid filled...

I had something like this on a Protege 1.6 - took forever to figure out it was the front crankshaft seal on it - all the leakage went to the steering rack. You might get it clean and check around the bottom of the timing cover.

Is this your passenger side engine mount? If you're on stock mounts, could it be that the mount has ruptured and leaked the fluid that was inside it? I know some mounts are liquid filled...
Yes it is. It's a stock mount. Are they fluid filled?

I had something like this on a Protege 1.6 - took forever to figure out it was the front crankshaft seal on it - all the leakage went to the steering rack. You might get it clean and check around the bottom of the timing cover.
I'll check that It was my first thought since I replaced it last March, 2011 when I did the timing belt. I'll get under there and look. When there was no oil on the pulleys and belts, I figured the seal was okay, but I'll jack it up and look closer. It looks for all the world like it came from a PS hose or the motor mount, I just can't find anything wrong with the hoses.

Thanks for the replies guys.

It's the motor mount alright. The splatter pattern comes straight from it. It looks like muddy oil and has no odor. I read that not all Protege top mounts are fluid filled, particularly the Canadian ones. I read it on the Internet so it has to be right. I knew it had been tearing up for a long time, so today it gets a new one. If I get in there and find something else is leaking I'll post back with that.

Back