Oil Leak underneath passenger side

I have a 2003 Protege5 with 140k. There is an oil leak underneath the engine , oil is not on the timing belt or AC compressor and i cannot figure out where it is coming from.

Try cleaning everything up with engine degreaser so you can trace where it's coming from more easily.

Check your drive axle seal where it goes into the transmission. I had mine start to leak after the driveshaft was pulled 3-4 times to replace my alternator.

Check the oil that is dripping. Engine oil will be the color, thickness and smell of what's on your engine oil dipstick. ATF has a reddish color and is really thin. 5-Speed gear oil is really thick and has a sulphur smell to it. It should be pretty clear because it doesn't get a burnt color even when it's old.

I also have smoke coming out the exhaust on cold startup, even though it has the symptoms to be a headgasket, i dont think it is due to the oil pan dripping onto a hole on the bottom in the exhaust, forcing the engine to burn the oil. Im taking the exhaust off this weekend and replacing the oil pan gasket.(I will also check to see if the oil is actually coming from the oil pan gasket or the engine)

The passenger side fluid leaking seems to be reddish in color but is also leaking all over, im not sure what it could be but i will remind myself to take pictures and attach them this weekend when i work on the car. I will look at the drive axle as well.

You've probably got seized oil rings on your pistons. It's really common with our cars.
If your oil leak is redish and you've got an automatic, then it's probably ATF. If it's leaking out at the transmission where the driveshaft goes in, the spinning driveshaft will fling the oil all around.

See how far up the side of the engine the oil is. If the wet oiliness goes up the engine well above the oil pan, the leak may not be the oil pan.

All of that oil dripping may be ATF and your oil pan may be OK.

Its a manual, and the oil pan leak seems to be just the oil pan, i will check the drive axle seal and take photos this weekend for yall, appreciate all the help

You can get an oil pan gasket but some guys had problems with them leaking and ended up removing it and using silicone.

Last edited:
sweet i already have some gasket maker and the new gasket, would using both be pointless or add some gasketmaker to the outside of the actual gasket?

I'm guessing that adding gasket maker to the gasket would be a good idea. My parts car came with the valve cover gasket covered in silicone where he reused the gasket.

I've coated various gaskets too. Make sure you just use a thin layer so that any excess doesn't get squished out into your oil pan and get sucked into the oil strainer.

hey guys, oil pan gasket is definitely the problem. jacked car up and saw that radiator hose is leaking the red fluid as well. the smoke from start up is due to oil pan gasket leaking into and old exhaust gasket. replacing oil pan gasket and exhaust gasket this weekend

Rad fluid is normally green/yellow but there is a new "High Mileage" version that is a redish brown color.

I'm not sure if the brown is compatible with our car though?
And you're not supposed to mix the two types.

EDIT: The service manual doesn't mention what type of antifreeze to use, other than to NOT use ethanol or methanol antifreeze.

It has to be ethylene glycol based.

im not sure why it is red as i believe i put green fluid in my coolant reservoir, im going to flush the system and replace it with specified coolant for my engine. i forgot to take pics of the hoses leaking but ill show ya next weekend when i fix it. theyre bottom hoses connected to the side of the radiator.

Put a tiny drop of fluid on your finger and taste it.
Antifreeze tastes sweet.
(spit it out though, it's poison.)

Read through the procedure to do your task before doing it. The FSM is correct but may leave out things like how your exhaust bolts may be seized and need to be cut off. Every job turns into more work than planned for. Guesstimate how long the job will take then double or triple that time.

Shyte happens.

Mine does the same thing. Smokes (white) like a freight train when it’s cold until it either warms up or I get around 35mph and keep it there for a minute or two. Have a big reddish brown puddle under the front of the car and can’t tell where it’s coming from. Almost seems like my radiator is leaking by the drain plug in the bottom of the core support but it’s definitely got green coolant, not sure where this murky mess keeps coming from. Smells like oil but can’t find a leak anywhere. 🤨

Back